Mercedes Actros

Just finished what felt like a very long night shift in a 510 Actros- wow!(and not in a good way)
I need to vent:
Abysmal radio reception
Tragic sound quality( speakers sound like they were stolen from the back shelf of your uncle’s Austin 1100, Audioline stylee)
An unfeasibly squeaky dashboard
Zebedee seat( couldn’t see how to adjust for weight- no manual in truck but should you need one for that?)
510 hp? Yeah? On that basis my diesel estate must be 400hp!!
440 MAN would leave it for dust, mind you, I’m surprised it got me back to yard without blowing up, when it changes down 2 gears to keep speed to cruise setting
Did I tell you about the heater, where the temperature on dash bears no relation to it’s output?
Or what about the vent at knee level that leaks cold air onto your knee?
I’ve driven some crack in my time(Atki 400’s old ERF’s, a DAF 2800 that was so far gone you never checked the oil on it, just lobbed another gallon( yes, that long ago!) of oil in whenever it got fuelled), but this gigacab/ mega space thing is by far the worst, and by a country mile!
Hopefully I’ll get upgraded to a Leyland Marathon that jumps out of gear and has a driver’s seat that needs an oil change this evening!
BTW, this is a 3 year old vehicle, not something that’s been dredged out of a river somewhere- if only it could perform like the old 1633 I used to pilot, life would be good!
Rant over!
Anyone else had a similar experience in a modern vehicle- yeah, sure we all have personal preferences but…

I had a demo 510 for a week & the only good thing about it was it’s fuel consumption…

It was 6 month’s old… :frowning:

Our two are ace :slight_smile:

Cabs are nice inside and the headboard under the bunk is a good touch as is the weight transfer button.

Winnifred1:
I’m surprised it got me back to yard without blowing up, when it changes down 2 gears to keep speed to cruise setting

Thats how you are supposed to have driven every vehicle with an engine brake for the last 20 odd years, change down gear when descending hills using the engine brake keeping the revs as high as possible below the redline to give the most engine braking. The blue bit on the rev counter above the green? Thats where you’re supposed to sit the revs when using engine braking no matter what the lorry. The DAFs we have come down from the top of the A66 and Windy Hill sit 100RPM below the redline for several miles. Doesn’t do them any harm. It may not sound nice but its not above the redline so there’s no problem. If it were a problem then the manufacturers wouldn’t have put engine braking on, wouldn’t have put the blue zone on the rev counter and wouldn’t have the ECU automatically drop a couple of gears.

World to Winnifred1, please come back to the 20th Century.

Having the fuel consumption meter up when going down hill with the exhaust brake engaged shows no fuel is being used.

Conor:
World to Winnifred1, please come back to the 20th Century.

Or even the 21st Conor :wink: :smiley:

Got to admit when I first got mine it did sound like you were revving the ■■■■ off it but as long as it’s under the red it’s ok. If you do overdo it there is a warning light comes on (I discovered at first :unamused: ) before any damage is done

Radar19:
Having the fuel consumption meter up when going down hill with the exhaust brake engaged shows no fuel is being used.

That’s because there isn’t…

A negligible amount anyway, as the engine is effectively on tick over.

GCR2ERF:
Our two are ace :slight_smile:

There. are drivers ,then there are drivers. Empty barrels make the most noise .

Funny, my 21st century usual drive(MAN 540) manages just fine without any of the problems detailed above… Well done lads, some of you have really entered into the spirit of this thread?!
We all have our favourites I guess, get the feeling some of you are taking this waaaaaaay too personally!

Drove one today. Not got a lot to compare to, but my little 125 could probably pull uphill better than that thing!

If you go into the audio settings and turn Medium down to -6. Stops that cheap tinny sound.

I drive a 61 plate 460 actros and all the faults you describe above are exactly the same as mine …if driven some wrecks in my time but this takes the Mick …the only good thing about it is the flat floor

Sounds like you’re describing the ridged Merc I learned to drive in, especially the lack of power and the stupid seat that keeps bouncing you up and down - pretty sure I didn’t put it on fairground setting! If they can’t get the arctic’s to be any better then I really don’t know why anyone buys them? Cheapness?

Winnifred1:
Just finished what felt like a very long night shift in a 510 Actros- wow!(and not in a good way)
I have driven one for the last 12 months…

I need to vent:
Abysmal radio reception
Tragic sound quality( speakers sound like they were stolen from the back shelf of your uncle’s Austin 1100, Audioline stylee)
Yep, rubbish stereo.

An unfeasibly squeaky dashboard
I took the top off mine (the ■■■■■■■■■ bit you can just pull it up and it all comes off easily. I stuck gaffa tape around the holes and the plugs thinking that would cure it, but it hasn’t.

Zebedee seat( couldn’t see how to adjust for weight- no manual in truck but should you need one for that?)
My cure for that is I drive it with the air out of the seat.

510 hp? Yeah? On that basis my diesel estate must be 400hp!!
Yeah, the German horsepower is different to Swedish horsepower, if my 510 was Swedish it wouldn’t want to turn around when it saw a hill, absolutely no go in it at all, I couldn’t keep up with a pushbike round a roundabout, totally gutless motor. And gearbox ■■■■■■ me off.

Did I tell you about the heater, where the temperature on dash bears no relation to it’s output?
Ive only had that problem once to be honest, hasn’t happened since. No idea why.

Or what about the vent at knee level that leaks cold air onto your knee?
Don’t suffer from that either, thou I know a few people on here have mentioned it

What about the slide out storage bin under the bed next to the fridge, I cant stop it rattling, its been doing it since I first got in it.
When you park up at night, interior light on, undo drivers door and close it, after 10 seconds the interior light goes off.
When you turn engine off and want to change tacho mode you have to turn ignition on again to actually see which mode is on the screen, or if its dark, shine your torch on it.
At dawn/dusk the lights in the dash and in the radio go bright or dim randomly.
About 3 times, the language on the computer has defaulted to German.
Don’t get me started on the air suspension and the ride height.

Nice to be parked up in thou. The nightheater that blows out of all vents is brilliant thou, and the heated mirrors work without having the engine running. Storage is good, bed is a bit narrow and a bit hard for me.

The light going out when you close the door thing must be in the settings as mine doesn’t do it.
On the lighting front, my dash clocks always default to dim no matter what level you previously had them at. Probably a setting thing as well but haven’t been able to find it.

Pulling power is garbage.

The door stays don’t stay.

Zero traction. Can spin with 44 tonnes on. Gets stuck at the sniff of uneven ground.

Gearbox and engine don’t interact. Mine has a habit of changing up a gear even though the engine is pulling up a incline and revs dropping off. Dont even mention pulling out of junctions or randomly dropping into neutral sometimes.

Lockers are too high.

Seat doesn’t go far enough back unless you lift the bunk.

On the plus side its very high up, decent visibility and roomy cabs.

Ah Conor, some of my humour appears to be lost on you…
Must try harder and announce a " joke" next time- my apologies[emoji12]

ajt:
The light going out when you close the door thing must be in the settings as mine doesn’t do it.
On the lighting front, my dash clocks always default to dim no matter what level you previously had them at. Probably a setting thing as well but haven’t been able to find it.

Zero traction. Can spin with 44 tonnes on. Gets stuck at the sniff of uneven ground.

Gearbox and engine don’t interact. Mine has a habit of changing up a gear even though the engine is pulling up a incline and revs dropping off. Dont even mention pulling out of junctions or randomly dropping into neutral sometimes.

Lockers are too high.

On your first point, mine does that too, damned annoying! Any idea what setting it will be to change it? I’ve looked and can’t see anything :confused:

ajt:

Lockers are too high.

On your first point, mine does that too, damned annoying! Any idea what setting it will be to change it? I’ve looked and can’t see anything :confused:

Conan the Librarian:

ajt:

Lockers are too high.

There is a button up top that has a picture of a light above a side on view of the cab, push it until it beeps and that will deactivate the interior light auto shutoff.