Merc MP4 review

I am not sure I have the time to write everything down on my review of the unit but would anyone be interested in an in decent video review ?

I’d be interested mate. There is a a great one on youtube for the mp3 if you want to follow same thing.

Part 1 youtube.com/watch?v=GZp8fjjZq5k

Part 2 youtube.com/watch?v=ugXiVmYs6IQ

Yes please… :slight_smile:

Definitely. Always good to get the views from someone working with them, rather than just the journalist who got one for an afternoon

No worries, will do.

Got a premium today but we slowly parking all the old premiums up so I would guess I will have another Merc very shortly.

My test route and load was perfect btw, heavy to Swindon from Spalding area via the 16,605,45,43,34 and 420, back across the 4 for a reload at Heathrow area, a light load to come back up the 25 and A1 etc back to Spalding area, a real good good mix of road types, road quality and weather conditions and weight, would be hard pressed to pick a better load and route for a judgement on a new motor tbh.

Will get something sorted as soon as I jump in another Merc.

I have got a load of nice shots of the interior here in the mean time, will upload those shortly.

Is that a Streamspace with the 220cm wide cabin?

Or is there just something wrong with my eyes?
I think my ride looks bigger with the wide cabin.

sorry, pic about table, but U get the idea :slight_smile:

Heard they are very good on fuel,any truth to it? When are you gonna review them phantom :question:

Well I’ve learnt something here: The location of the 12v cigarette outlet!

Every Actros MP4 I have driven has had a phone installed directly over it and I never did think to look behind. I was using the ones round the passenger side and thinking this was a design flaw…

ellies dad:
Heard they are very good on fuel,any truth to it? When are you gonna review them phantom :question:

Not forgotten, just not had one since :slight_smile:

Yes, we have the narrow cab version, doesn’t look quite as good as the full monty but still looks ok I think :slight_smile:

Very hard to judge a new trucks mpg as they take a little time to break in eh, 31 euros of potatoes to Swindon saw 6.7mpg driven sensible, end of that shift it averaged out at 8.9mpg iirc over the 560km I did that shift.

I had 10mpg average from the second one I had, that ran reasonably light the whole shift, and we only have the 420bhp sadly.

In fact today I will write out a review properly :slight_smile:

franklin:
Well I’ve learnt something here: The location of the 12v cigarette outlet!

Every Actros MP4 I have driven has had a phone installed directly over it and I never did think to look behind. I was using the ones round the passenger side and thinking this was a design flaw…

In which picture can it be seen?
I only see the button for it. 12v outlet is not standard.

Phantom Mark:

ellies dad:

Not forgotten, just not had one since :slight_smile:

Yes, we have the narrow cab version, doesn’t look quite as good as the full monty but still looks ok I think :slight_smile:

Very hard to judge a new trucks mpg as they take a little time to break in eh, 31 euros of potatoes to Swindon saw 6.7mpg driven sensible, end of that shift it averaged out at 8.9mpg iirc over the 560km I did that shift.

I had 10mpg average from the second one I had, that ran reasonably light the whole shift, and we only have the 420bhp sadly.

In fact today I will write out a review properly :slight_smile:

Both versions look ugly with plastic bumpers.

I’ve had my 2551 since April. Long time consumption is 2-3 litres/100km smaller than my ex. ride Volvo FH13-520.

I have the wider version with the same stereo as Robbe. This is an excellent little stereo with bluetooth built in for both phone and media - unlike the older model where it was just for phone. It can even control your phone media, skip tracks, tell you what’s on etc.

BUT, I don’t have the auto-wipers like you do, my old MP3 did :imp:

My 12v socket is round the passenger side next to a 24v socket, you have to turn the 12v socket on with that switch. I also have 4 24v sockets, 1 where the ciggy lighter goes, 1 just round the side (you can see both of these in Mark’s pics) 1 on passenger side near the 12v socket and 1 on the panel under the bunk next to the passenger seat.

The 2551 demo I had the stereo was a dvd player as well and used the screen in the dashboard.

We have 2 narrow cab 2545s - full monty stereo/DVD (crap sound/speakers) and bluetooth (phone as always useless - when will someone improve this crap technology).

Fuel economy seems quite good - Brum to S Wales last night at 39 tonnes with a flat front double decker over the A465 and I still got 6.5 mpg.

Seat has so many adjustments you can spend all day trying to get comfy, and heated seat switch is easy to knock on. Not nice when your bum starts to cook :blush:

Lift axle limit seems better than earlier models and the auto gearbox is much better than before. (How about linking it to GPS so it knows about hills in advance? !!) Pulls well although not as gutsy at low revs as the Axor!!

Ours have tachos which default to rest when you turn the engine off. Stop for fuel - put tacho on work, turn off engine (tacho not illuminated) tacho now defaults to rest. Turn ignition on to check setting, change to work, turn off and tacho resets again. Pain in the proverbial :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: Press button twice and hope is the only option - bet VOSA won’t see it like that!

Overall a better truck than the old model, but apart from looks not a massive improvement in my opinion.

waynedl:
I have the wider version with the same stereo as Robbe. This is an excellent little stereo with bluetooth built in for both phone and media - unlike the older model where it was just for phone. It can even control your phone media, skip tracks, tell you what’s on etc.

My 12v socket is round the passenger side next to a 24v socket, you have to turn the 12v socket on with that switch. I also have 4 24v sockets, 1 where the ciggy lighter goes, 1 just round the side (you can see both of these in Mark’s pics) 1 on passenger side near the 12v socket and 1 on the panel under the bunk next to the passenger seat.

But bluetooth only works with one phone at a time…

I don’t have 12v sockets, but I’ve got 5 24v sockets. 1 where the ciglighter goes, 1 over the passenger side low table, 1 passenger side floor, 1 under the bunk between fridge and driver seat (LHD) and one over the bunk on passenger side.

And the tag axle lifter works fine, gives almoust 20 tonnes on driveaxle when needed…

Robbe:

waynedl:

I don’t have 12v sockets, but I’ve got 5 24v sockets. 1 where the ciglighter goes, 1 over the passenger side low table, 1 passenger side floor, 1 under the bunk between fridge and driver seat (LHD) and one over the bunk on passenger side.

I don’t get your point there? I play the music / internet radio off my phone onto the stereo, if phone rings it goes through…

I’ve not checked the other side of the bunk for a power socket, I don’t do nights out so the only sockets I use are the ones on the dash and I’ve used the other when I’ve stopped for a kip :smiley:

waynedl:

Robbe:

I don’t get your point there? I play the music / internet radio off my phone onto the stereo, if phone rings it goes through…

I’ve not checked the other side of the bunk for a power socket, I don’t do nights out so the only sockets I use are the ones on the dash and I’ve used the other when I’ve stopped for a kip :smiley:

I’ve got 2 phones. My own personal phone and then the firms phone.
With some handsfrees U can connect both phones to the same handsfree at the same time. then talk in either phone.

and the socket over the bunk is in the upper storage space over the bunk.

Robbe:

waynedl:

Robbe:

With some handsfrees U can connect both phones to the same handsfree at the same time. then talk in either phone.

Ahh, now I get you. Yes, I have 2 phones too, the other runs through my satnav.

waynedl:

Robbe:

waynedl:

Robbe:

Ahh, now I get you. Yes, I have 2 phones too, the other runs through my satnav.

A truck designed in 2011, using technology from the 90s… Almoust every bluetooth headset can handle 2 phones at the same time.