Merc Axor

I now officially love this vehicle. The auto & the revamp a few years back have made it simply ace, this cargo net for the top bunk is simply inspired.

Steering is a bit vacant & the brakes are crap like all the others but hey ho, you can’t have everything.

Apart from the church pew they use as a seat I much prefer them over the Actros, put a Volvo seat in them and they’d be sorted. You adapt to the brakes, everything else is more or less to hand and becomes instinctive pretty quickly. To me the Actros is over-engineered and techy/‘clever’

That’s the thing though chicane, my 11 plate has a luxury seat in it, really wide & very heated if you want it. Spesh comfy, ex DHL so dunno wether they sexed it up over the basic model.

I’ve an old basic seat not nice at all

Silver_Surfer:
That’s the thing though chicane, my 11 plate has a luxury seat in it, really wide & very heated if you want it. Spesh comfy, ex DHL so dunno wether they sexed it up over the basic model.

DHL sexed up a basic model - you are joking right :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Mrmack65:
I’ve an old basic seat not nice at all

Agree with that. Its like something you find bolted to a dumper.

I will give my verdict tmrw on the axor,ive got one for the day ,its been a long time since ive driven one,its a 63 plate rental unit,im gettin giddy i cant wait :unamused: :unamused: :wink: :wink:

I drove an older model, horrible thing. Brakes are bottle caps. Its wallows about everywhere, the whole thing shudders at low speeds, the clutch is crap, the gearbox is crap. It was riddled with electrical faults. The cab smelt of TCP oddly enough. Maybe I’m judging it harshly because the one I was driving was a shed.

So if you get the old seat then it’s a minger. The new seat I have is ace.

Silver_Surfer:
So if you get the old seat then it’s a minger. The new seat I have is ace.

Ive just chucked my bag in before i came home,all i saw it had red seat belts ,dark grey [nearly black]velvet seats and a bit of silver on dash,looked ok to be honest,dawson rentals i think it belongs to :neutral_face: :neutral_face:

Merc Axor new model= Hitlers revenge, What a crap truck to drive, Hard seat, narrow bunk, that would take geoff capes to lift it up, and it lacks any kind of support like hydralic rams to hold the thing up whilst you access anything stored under the bunk.and then there is that anoying hump( engine tunnel) and also that sad cargo net where the top bunk would be, that gets in your way if you wish to sit on your bunk and say watch tv, there isnt enough space in the axor cab for a tramper, they maybe ok as a trolley dolly 8hrs shift, but no good for anything else i would vote them the worst truck
the auto gearbox has only one goal to reach 12th cog ASAP in the name of economy, sod drivabilty especicaly if there is a incline or worse still a steep hill , it also lacks power from its 430 engine, the mirrors aren’t good either, it’s nearley as bad as one of those old actrosses with a board covered with cloth for a bunk

Tommy, the cargo net is for everything a tramper could ever need. It does touch your head if you sit on the bunk but a minor irritation.

You can’t really compare it to big cabs trucks for tramping. I’m smallish so it suits me fine, I love it & I had a new v8 topline for 5 years to swan about in so I can compare.

I drive him mostly in manual so hold the gears, he’s a 430 too on max weight, sure you do 40 up the hills but most of the others do too, I’ve only had 26 tonne on the back though, well see how he copes with 30 :slight_smile:

Is that 40kmph or 40 mph,lol ?
The POS that i had the dis-pleasure or driving wouldn’t do 40mph up a steep hill :blush: i was lucky it would do 20, and that was using manual gearing, They or that just did not have the horses, it would even slow down on a slight incline,lol
also that cargo net acually stopped me from watching tv (placed on the center of the dash) sitting in a relaxed position IE with my back resting on the back wall of the cab, As for uses, i seriously can’t think of many apart from ■■■■■■■ of who ever has to live in them, the cargo net should be designed to be removed easily ,but it ain’t spanners are needed :open_mouth:

It’s easier to reverse than a MAN that has the nasty habit of lunging all over the place.

So what if it’s underpowered? The heaters don’t break down (yet!) and I don’t give a ■■■■ how long it takes, 'cos I’m paid by the hour (only started using Axors when I went on agency)

The Radio is satisfactory, the bunk not covered in smeg because it’s over 10 years old, and if the cab smells of fagash - it’s no fault of the truck.

…I’ve yet to break down in one as yet either.

Can’t say the same for DAF’s which in my experience, break down like Gazza after missing an easy goal. :unamused:

Winseer:
It’s easier to reverse than a MAN that has the nasty habit of lunging all over the place.

So what if it’s underpowered? The heaters don’t break down (yet!) and I don’t give a ■■■■ how long it takes, 'cos I’m paid by the hour (only started using Axors when I went on agency)

The Radio is satisfactory, the bunk not covered in smeg because it’s over 10 years old, and if the cab smells of fagash - it’s no fault of the truck.

…I’ve yet to break down in one as yet either.

Can’t say the same for DAF’s which in my experience, break down like Gazza after missing an easy goal. :unamused:

The one I was driving was like it had been filled up with kangaroo juice. Bouncing around all over the place.

tommy t:
it also lacks power from its 430 engine

If you drove an Axor that lacked power you must have had a duff one. For the horsepower it has there is little, if anything, which will out-pull one. No need to rev it hard either, it gets stuck in quite happily from about 1,000rpm.

Olog Hai:

tommy t:
it also lacks power from its 430 engine

If you drove an Axor that lacked power you must have had a duff one. For the horsepower it has there is little, if anything, which will out-pull one. No need to rev it hard either, it gets stuck in quite happily from about 1,000rpm.

Yeah, your one sounds a lemon, mine pretty much never goes under 40 on a killer climb at max. He accelerates slower than 500’s but I ain’t arsed about racing folk nowadays unless they’re being ■■■■■, in which case I ascertain who will win before commencing a dual, a la sun tsu.

The ride isn’t as good as the prem but few are.

The cargo net is full of my kit, I find lying down & watching tv the best or I watch it on top of my fridge in the passenger seat and rest my back against the drivers luxury seat, did I say I like the seat? The new seat in the prem is pretty good as well but not as good as the axor. It ain’t a Merc product, I did clock the name on the side of it the other day but…

seth 70:
I will give my verdict tmrw on the axor,ive got one for the day ,its been a long time since ive driven one,its a 63 plate rental unit,im gettin giddy i cant wait :unamused: :unamused: :wink: :wink:

My verdict,why is the cab so tall but so thin,why didnt merc knock it down a good few inch and build it out to the edge of the wheel arches ,a bit like the fm,brakes shocking,430 engine sounds nice a does the job ok,all in all not bad and not good,its just ok and does the job required ,i dont think anybody is going to get one expecting to win truckfest ,its a fleet truck truck thats made for work :neutral_face: :neutral_face:

They make good 8w tippers aslong as you aren’t a badge freak, they’re perfectly adequate.

What a heap of zb…!