Merc Arocs with 12 speed auto

Anybody else had experience of driving one?
Had it for just over 3 months now(only the second auto lorry i have driven in 32 years) but am i driving it wrong.
The frecin thing is so indecisive and hesitant.
Is it my driving style or just a ■■■■■ gearbox.?

Sounds like the same one that’s in the new Actros then. If so, it ranks up there with the worst auto boxes on the road at the moment. I would go as far as saying it makes the ZF look good.[emoji15]

Oh,forgot to ask.Why is it a 26 tonner but badged up as a 2530 :confused:

because its a design weight of (25)000kg with (30)0, a pretty good power for a 26tonner

Maybe you are doing it wrong? What is your driving style like? Lead footed? Driving Miss Daisy?

I’ve been seconded onto a new 26 ton scania for a couple of weeks. It’s the first auto scania I’ve driven. I really expected it to be good coming from my usual MAN steed which is awful but it’s not, it’s bloody awful too! Also it’s a 320 which you’d expect to be pretty poky but it’s gutless!

Lycanthrope:
because its a design weight of (25)000kg with (30)0, a pretty good power for a 26tonner

Why is it not a 2630 then?
Had a 26.410 a few years back.
That was good power for a 26 tonner.

I’ve been working alongside an 8w Axor the past few days and the driver had an Arocs on demo. He didn’t like the gearbox either, said “for a tipper the whole thing was too complicated” and would rather have his 56 plate Axor over an Arocs anyday. He also said it was “hesitant and indecisive.” Too tall is another complaint I’ve heard from drivers who’ve had one on demo (easily bashed on trees). Too heavy aswell.
Is it true you can only get an Arocs with an auto 'box?

Lycanthrope:

300bhp at 25/26t is pretty low, especially married to an auto 'box. In comparison I had a Foden Alpha at 345, an S reg Foden 4000 at 340 and our 02 plate Daf is a 310.
Most 26t trucks especially tippers and mixers are around the 320 to 380 mark nowadays.

I thought it was just me! I drive 26t dafs and scanias and the scania is horrible. They are so frustrating to drive you cant double shift in them cause they couldnt pull the skin off a rice pudding. And they jump out of gear a lot at junctions, dafs on the other hand are fantastic, 12 speed and you can double shift in them even when loaded to the doors. The scanias are 310bhp and the dafs are 355bhp.

I don’t think double shifting in a Scania would help as its only got 8 gears. I find it not too bad once it’s up to speed. It’s just the setting off thing, it’s so sluggish!!! I have driven one of our 12 speed MAN 18t autos and that was much better. In fact I said when I got back how come their rigids auto seem pretty good but the 440 artic I usually drive is so dire!

Suedehead:
Oh,forgot to ask.Why is it a 26 tonner but badged up as a 2530 :confused:

I think you’ll find the 25 means what Model it is not what weight it can carry, the 30 will mean 300bhp.

Lycanthrope:

Not true with the Merc i think you’ll find the 25 means what model it is not what weight it can carry and the 30 means 300bhp.

On Truck Trader there are quite a few new Arocs 8wheelers for sale at seemingly discounted prices. Are they too complicated for tipper work, too heavy or just crap? Why didn’t they just modify the Axor to Euro 6, it was a perfectly adequate motor for tipper work? I had a demo one a few years back and my only criticism was the naff 9 speed gearbox. My employer at the time said other drivers found them “too basic,” which was also the reason why Hinos weren’t ordered when Fodens stopped production.

I dont think you can beat the Renault/Volvo - Optidriver/I-Shift as an auto box, especially on tippers.

Also I think around 340BHP for a 26t.

I think that a lot of drivers try to drive autos like manuals. They are different and you need to learn how to do it properly. Once mastered, you will wonder why you ever wanted to do all that clutch >gear lever>accelerator>clutch… Again.

Santa:
I think that a lot of drivers try to drive autos like manuals. They are different and you need to learn how to do it properly. Once mastered, you will wonder why you ever wanted to do all that clutch >gear lever>accelerator>clutch… Again.

Hi Santa, exactly right. I was with a customer in the week who had all manual gearboxes and would be getting there first new trucks in 5 years, the auto gearbbox has come a long way but is a complete differnet driving style, It took our driver trainer a couple of hours with the driver to master it along with hill start and the self releasing hand brake but after that he fell in love with it.

As an aside with the new technology, gearbox and driving style I would be suprised if they dont end up about 1-2mpg better off aswell.

Santa:

I presume by mastering it you mean mastering the skill of second guessing how long the delay will be between putting your foot down and it deciding to go? Or second guessing whether it will select the right gear as you coast up to a roundabout and see a gap you know is enough…IF your in the correct gear, or any gear at all! Never a problem with a manual.

tango boy:

Lycanthrope:

Not true with the Merc i think you’ll find the 25 means what model it is not what weight it can carry and the 30 means 300bhp.

Lycanthrope is correct but I think I I know what Tango means…is yours a 6x2? It’ll be a 25 with maybe 460 (a regular output on the Megaspace) on tap (2546)…if it was 6/8x4 tipper/RORO type thingy, it would be 26##. My old Mega was a 2553, the best underweight was the 814, the older ones were 1617 before they went 1820 (air suspension gave an extra ton gross I think) but some of my companies new Mercs rigids, 4x2) are 1843s…because they’re a prime mover

Actrosman:

tango boy:

Lycanthrope:

Lycanthrope is correct but I think I I know what Tango means…is yours a 6x2? It’ll be a 25 with maybe 460 (a regular output on the Megaspace) on tap (2546)…if it was 6/8x4 tipper/RORO type thingy, it would be 26##. My old Mega was a 2553, the best underweight was the 814, the older ones were 1617 before they went 1820 (air suspension gave an extra ton gross I think) but some of my companies new Mercs rigids, 4x2) are 1843s…because they’re a prime mover

The 25 on a Actros tractor unit is the Chassis reference and the 46 is the reference for the engine. 2546
Edit, see what you mean about the weight thing on a rigid!!! :blush: