Merc Arocs with 12 speed auto

Im wrong AGAIN as usual lol :blush: :blush: :blush:

I find myself always having to over rule the point at which the Actros box changes down on climbs, always seems to be 10 seconds late, The Volvo box however is the bench mark for auto boxes imho. In fact the Volvo for me is the TRUCK to have atm.

merc auto works ok for me you do need to use manual a bit as long as the option is there ive no complaints. reliability and clutch life need to be adressed by daimler chrysler though before id have another.

Which reminds me, our lot hired a few MAN’s a while ago that had had the manual override and the power option disabled! I mean, c’mon!!! The worst gearbox known to mankind deliberately made worse. Luckily I never got to use one otherwise I would have thrown in the towel at the end of the first day!

Our new 2543s are a bit gutless coming out the traps at the old SevernBridge if you pull away ‘normally’ as it goes up the box 2 at a time…feed it some beans and it uses each gear and is a bit of a go’er! Not keen on how low the revs are before it goes into 12th, especially when floating around 35-40 mph in traffic through them bloody M4 roadworks…kick it down and it drops to 10th! Saying that, it’s darn economical, or seems to be over my little shift!

To avoid the gearbox holding too high a gear when approaching a junction, or even better deciding to drop to neutral due to your gentle braking, stick the exhaust brake on when approaching junctions so that it drops gears as you brake and doesn’t drop to neutral.

I drive an arocs and do a lot of off-road work , you really need to plan ahead and lock it into manual for sticky/steep sections or it will change gear exactly when you don’t want it to . I also switch traction control off so you have plenty of rev’s when needed . Out on the road its just ok (not a patch on I- shift but nothing is),the biggest problem is hesitation at T-junctions etc , by the time its made its mind up you’ve either stopped dead or are in the middle of the road waiting desperately for a gear while cars around you wonder exactly what the hell you’re doing :laughing: .They are very heavy,parts availability is pants and if you want a manual its double h pattern cable over hydraulic shift so I don’t think many operators want to go down that route,I drive a 510 artic and it pulls like train but fuel consumption is not good if you “keep er lit”

Makes MAN and Hino look good.

Chrome Lozenge:
I dont think you can beat the Renault/Volvo - Optidriver/I-Shift as an auto box, especially on tippers.

Also I think around 340BHP for a 26t.

I would expect somebody with an email address from a Renault dealer to say that !

Denis F:

Chrome Lozenge:
I dont think you can beat the Renault/Volvo - Optidriver/I-Shift as an auto box, especially on tippers.

Also I think around 340BHP for a 26t.

I would expect somebody with an email address from a Renault dealer to say that !

PMSL, and it’s all in the delivery… :smiley:

Waiting for the day,when i approach a mini roundabout,wanting to turn right.
A driver with similar gearbox appears from straight ahead,wanting to do the same.Picture the scene.
Mexican stand off springs to mind.

Muckaway:
Makes MAN and Hino look good.

NOTHING makes a Hino look good-maybe one day you’ll get one,you’ll soon wish you didnt :laughing: (i’m sure I’ve told you before how bad they are lol)
I currently drive an 11 plate CF410,our only other grabs are a 60 plate Hino(the piece of cack that I was lumbered with for over a year),and a 56 plate CF six wheeler(310 I think).the six wheeler is rough as ■■■■,but i’ll gladly have that over the Hino when mine goes in for test this month.
If I never drove a bastart Hino ever again i’ll be happy :sunglasses:

It’s looking likely that you wont get to drive a new Hino again Andrew, still no news about a Euro 6 version. I was talking to a Smiths driver who had a hired in Hino from LC Hire. He hated it, I think Smiths fitters did too as they’ve swapped it for a Daf CF.
Give it time Andrew, you might get to try out a Sinotruck. :laughing:

Muckaway:
It’s looking likely that you wont get to drive a new Hino again Andrew, still no news about a Euro 6 version. I was talking to a Smiths driver who had a hired in Hino from LC Hire. He hated it, I think Smiths fitters did too as they’ve swapped it for a Daf CF.
Give it time Andrew, you might get to try out a Sinotruck. :laughing:

wont be getting anything new (or secondhand) where I work for quite some time I think! the money’s bloody good but they are not a haulage firm,“utilise what we already have” is what I was quoted lol.
and i’m quite happy with my 11 plate CF thank you very much :sunglasses: