Merc 2018 headlight bulb upside down

Anyone know if the ‘upside down headlight’ phenomenon is a possible thing on a 2018 Actros ? I can’t remember which makes but I know in the past that you can put them in the wrong way on some trucks and the aim is completely ■■■■■■ because they aren’t seated right. Got a Merc where aim is about 2ft in front of bumper and I’m suspecting bulb isn’t seated right rather than aim adjustment.

If it’s not bulb, anyone know where the aim adjusters are? Hire company is at other end of the country so we’re stuck with it and have to sort it ourself.

If I’m struggling to see I use full beam

If I thought a bulb was inserted incorrectly I might take back off and look…

Can only go in,one way.
We have one with the aforementioned problem.
I reckon it’s had a clout on the front end.
Number plate holder has been bodged back together.

commonrail:
Can only go in,one way.
We have one with the aforementioned problem.
I reckon it’s had a clout on the front end.
Number plate holder has been bodged back together.

SHOULD only go on one way I’d say!
With enough force and ignorance most things are possible.[emoji3]

It can’t possibly be in the wrong way or when switched on it would absorb the light and give out darkness surely?

the maoster:
It can’t possibly be in the wrong way or when switched on it would absorb the light and give out darkness surely?

You’ve been outed!
You are Stephen Hawking.

I dance like him :wink:

Seriously? The font of all knowledge known to man can’t sort a trivial problem like that without resorting to a truck forum, also can’t find the location of Melton, East Yorkshire without spouting on here and still maintains there’s no Driver shortage…ffs

DCPCFML:
Anyone know if the ‘upside down headlight’ phenomenon is a possible thing on a 2018 Actros ? I can’t remember which makes but I know in the past that you can put them in the wrong way on some trucks and the aim is completely ■■■■■■ because they aren’t seated right. Got a Merc where aim is about 2ft in front of bumper and I’m suspecting bulb isn’t seated right rather than aim adjustment.

I’ve done several of our DAFs and the bulb isn’t seated flat in the bulb holder because whoever has been fitting it has pushed it in as much as they could but didn’t realise that the metal plate the flange of the bulb sits on springs out meaning a small hump on it that’s supposed to sit on the inside of that flange stops the bulb from seating properly so the beam either points skywards or 3ft in front of the wagon. On the Actross you can’t put the bulb in upside down but you can put the metal clip back in place wrong if you’re a hamfisted baboon so the bulb can move.

Beware though that on the Actros it’s a right pain in the arse to do as you have to take the whole headlight out and you’ll need a very long torx screwdriver to get to one of the screws on the bottom outer corner. I ended up having to do a callout because even though I had a bulb and a torx screwdriver that fitted it wasn’t long enough to get to that one screw. Quite why they couldn’t have made an easy access flap like the DAFs and Volvos I don’t know.

There’s no bulb holder for the headlight.

Screenshot_20210716-132929_Google.jpg

Very nice, you’ve managed to post a picture of a bulb. Now unless it is suspended in mid air by magic it fits in a holder which can either be a separate one that clips onto the back of the headlight like the DAFs or can be part of the back of the headlight itself like the Mercs.

robbo99.:
Seriously? The font of all knowledge known to man can’t sort a trivial problem like that without resorting to a truck forum, also can’t find the location of Melton, East Yorkshire without spouting on here and still maintains there’s no Driver shortage…ffs

PMSL! You mad? :grimacing:

Conor:

DCPCFML:

I’ve done several of our DAFs and the bulb isn’t seated flat in the bulb holder because whoever has been fitting it has pushed it in as much as they could but didn’t realise that the metal plate the flange of the bulb sits on springs out meaning a small hump on it that’s supposed to sit on the inside of that flange stops the bulb from seating properly so the beam either points skywards or 3ft in front of the wagon. On the Actross you can’t put the bulb in upside down but you can put the metal clip back in place wrong if you’re a hamfisted baboon so the bulb can move.

Beware though that on the Actros it’s a right pain in the arse to do as you have to take the whole headlight out and you’ll need a very long torx screwdriver to get to one of the screws on the bottom outer corner. I ended up having to do a callout because even though I had a bulb and a torx screwdriver that fitted it wasn’t long enough to get to that one screw. Quite why they couldn’t have made an easy access flap like the DAFs and Volvos I don’t know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jC7VA7apHo

Re the DAFs, that’s exactly what happened with one of ours. The bulb was sat on the hump so the aim was on the ■■■■. Easy enough to sort on those. Not familiar with the Mercs but from past experience of seeing the bulb holders mounted upside down or on their side :unamused: , obviously not seated right, I think it would be worth checking. My gut feeling is that it isn’t seated right as for the aim to be as bad as it is I would have expected to see some evidence of damage. I’ve seen plenty of idiocy from other drivers and dealership monkeys when it comes to bulbs, eg. putting single contacts in double contact sockets, double filaments where singles should be and vv., white bulbs in the unit rear indicator clusters on DAFs… :unamused:

DCPCFML:

robbo99.:

Is that it? Is wobble gob almighty lost for words?

robbo99.:

DCPCFML:

robbo99.:

ucp.php?i=zebra&mode=foes

:arrow_right: DCPCFML :arrow_right: Submit = problem solved. Good day. :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

DCPCFML:

robbo99.:

DCPCFML:

robbo99.:

ucp.php?i=zebra&mode=foes

:arrow_right: DCPCFML :arrow_right: Submit = problem solved. Good day. :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

Class! A perfect example of someone that doesn’t like the taste of his own medicine. Can give it but can’t take it.

DCPCFML:

If it’s not bulb, anyone know where the aim adjusters are? Hire company is at other end of the country so we’re stuck with it and have to sort it ourself.

We have nothing but Actri - headlights are a nightmare. Changing headlight bulbs is easy provided you know which screws to undo to get to them. There are 4 screws each of which SHOULD have a white collar to identify it. The problem is that the uninformed start playing around trying to unscrew the adjusters by accident, changing the aim. They don’t keep track of what they’ve done, so the lights end up pointing everywhere but where they should.
The adjusters (and screws to release the unit) are behind the cover which is screwed in under the removable flap at the inside of the light unit. The cover hinges out and all the screws are behind it. See DCPCML’s post and video above for more info! The Actros used to come with the relevant tool in the box with the manual etc., but not any more. I managed to re-locate one before one of our trucks went off for good!

gardun:

DCPCFML:

We have nothing but Actri - headlights are a nightmare. Changing headlight bulbs is easy provided you know which screws to undo to get to them. There are 4 screws each of which SHOULD have a white collar to identify it. The problem is that the uninformed start playing around trying to unscrew the adjusters by accident, changing the aim. They don’t keep track of what they’ve done, so the lights end up pointing everywhere but where they should.
The adjusters (and screws to release the unit) are behind the cover which is screwed in under the removable flap at the inside of the light unit. The cover hinges out and all the screws are behind it. See DCPCML’s post and video above for more info! The Actros used to come with the relevant tool in the box with the manual etc., but not any more. I managed to re-locate one before one of our trucks went off for good!

Ah. That is really useful to know, thanks gardun :slight_smile: . Didn’t get chance to do it last week but need to get it sorted as got several flashes down the 42 on Thursday night as n/s bulb aim is like an aircraft search light :frowning: . Sorry for your retinas :cry: .