Mental Health Suitability

Just wondering if all LGV work is stressful or if some jobs more laid back and not as hectic?

Have some history of anxiety/depression and brief spell in a mental “institution” for pretending to be a police officer (Bodie NOT Doyle). I don’t want too much stress. I had that in the police.

Anyway I’ve navigated the medical (should have pretended to be a doctor and saved myself £100). Done the theory tests (all three of them). Piece of ■■■■ so far. Come up against the obstacle now of paying for the practical training. Thing is I don’t want to throw money at something if there is little chance of me settling into the job. Could spend the money on a police car or maybe find a second hand fire engine (although I think I would need LGV for the fire engine :smiley: ).

Not sure about all this tachograph stuff as well. Looks like a lot of trouble. Are there many jobs that are exempt or is it mainly dustcarts. Don’t fancy that much.

Anyway go easy on me. I’m a bit of a mentalist but who isn’t.

So, who’s this one then Rikki?

Rikki who? I’m Will. Probably shouldn’t use my real name. Even less so my d.o.b. ■■■■. Too late now I suppose. Hopefully police are not monitoring this site. Only joking about police car/fire engine. I’m cured now.

I’m genuine Reef. Looking at getting into this line of work. Nothing else I can do really.

There are quite a few jobs out there which are not stressful. Equally, there are many which certainly are stressful. Unfortunately, when starting out in this industry the latter type are often the only ones open to you - On the whole, Class 2 work tends more towards the stressful (especially for a newbie).

I did 25 years in the police service and had to jack it in before I got to 30 years. I had done a bit of LGV driving on my days off, and as I generally enjoyed driving it seemed only natural to move into lorry driving full time. I was fortunate enough to drop into an “own account” type job that was not subject to the commercial pressures of general transport (although it did turn quite physical for a while, until I passed my Class 1…)

But I would sound a note of caution - If you already have a history of not coping well with stress, this lorry driving lark may not be right for you. I have found that I can slip easily into a totally different mode when driving a truck: When I am in my car I tend towards the impatient. Sit me on my motorbike and it’s even worse - I find myself totally intolerant of muppetry in other drivers, minor delays on the road etc. Put me in the cab of a lorry and (provided I have a working radio and no time constraints) I am happy to relax and watch the world go by.

I think with any job it very much depends on your personality. If you already suffer from anxiety then being stuck in traffic with the office constantly asking when you’re going to be at your next drop may not be beneficial.

However I would consider a class 1 driving job for a supermarket considerably less stressful than multi drop food delivery. So I would advise to choose your jobs carefully.

Any job is only as stressful as you make it really. As long as the job gets done your not going to get too much hassle. Just take every situation and job as it comes and work away at your own comfortable pace.

If you don’t like that particular type of work get something else. There is plenty choice in this industry for everyone, its just about finding something that’s suits you and your family best, be that dayshift, backshift, nightshift, weekends, tramping, trunking, multi-drop, store deliveries, roll on roil off/skips, containers, tankers, flats, walking floors, tippers etc etc.

Everyone is different so no such thing as a perfect job, its whatever suits you/the individuals circumstances best.

Thanks guys. I think the main thing that concerns me is getting stuck somewhere. Then panicking as to how to get myself out of the ■■■■ i got myself into. But i suppose with experience that would become less of a problem.

If i wasn’t rushing to get to places, was working to an extent at my own pace, and with experience maybe i’d be okay.

You’re clearly bloody nuts, so should fit right in! :smiley:

Yeah, I was drawn to lgv for a reason. :smiley:

Strangely I quite enjoyed the police work. Maybe it was the buzz. No money in it though. I loved that blue light. Didn’t get the chance to steal some money from drug dealers.

I can’t afford it yet anyway. In hindsight i should have mentioned it before they let me out. Would have probably paid it for me.

I find it can be very variable as to level of stress. I think when you’ve got people calling all the time it can be or when you’re on timed deliveries because you can’t help traffic (had the latter in my last job). Eventually you come to realise that and it does help.

Do know what you mean about getting stuck in places - been there, done it in London and I really hope I never repeat that day. However, there are very few places where you get completely stuck, except perhaps if you try to go under too low-a-bridge without at least doing it at 55mph. You do have to use some common sense however or it could get tricky and don’t drive off tarmac or similar.

Overall, I suspect a trunking job might suit better than pallets for example as in the latter you have to get into some daft places for the size of truck. Trunking is generally more large place to large place, not Jo Bloggs house in the middle of a housing estate.

this one is shaping up well…roll n the rest of the weekend…and just remember…just because your paranoid doesnt mean that there not watching you… :open_mouth:

Poor trolling effort. Far too obvious.

4/10.

Is that someone trolling me or am I troll?

If former then i’ll get a second hand police car and nick him.

WillJJ1970:
Done the theory tests (all three of them)

Come again?

I don’t know who you are. I don’t know what you want. If you are looking for blind side reversing advice, I can’t help you. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career in the police and a brief spell in Broadmoor. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you let me have a go in your truck, that’ll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don’t, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you.

EDIT: FOR THE BENEFIT OF A THICK ■■■■ CALLING HIMSELF REEF SOMEONE POSTED PICTURE OF LIAM NEESON FROM THE FILM TAKEN. THE ABOVE IS A HUMOROUS QUOTE EDITED TO MAKE IT RELEVANT TO A TRUCKING WEBSITE.

WillJJ1970:
I don’t know who you are. I don’t know what you want. If you are looking for blind side reversing advice, I can’t help you. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career in the police and a brief spell in Broadmoor. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you let me have a go in your truck, that’ll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don’t, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you.

roses are red…violets are blue…im a schizophrenic…and so am i… :open_mouth:

theres definately no fun with this bozo…poor poor attempt…memo to yourself…must try harder.
the fact you havent posted by writing in crayon proves to all that you were never in the police as by typing guarantees that your over qualifed…the next thing is that youl be telling us you want to be a trunker, :unamused:

What ■■■■ told you I was in the police?

Logic and literacy not your strong point. If you can make it as a trucker I should be an LGV examiner in a few years.

[quote=“WillJJ1970” But if you don’t, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you.[/quote]
That’ll bite you on the arse at the trial, back to Broadmoor, don’t drop the soap.

Saner people in Broadmoor than on this site. You come on here for a bit of advice and get ■■■■■ with time on their hands (probably fiddling their hours) taking the ■■■■. No wonder it’s a job with a bad reputation.

■■■■■ in all walks of life I suppose. Not much you can do about it. So I’ve had a few problems in my life. Luckily for some you’ve been dealt a better hand of cards.

I hope a few of you ■■■■■ never have a disabled child as I expect you’ll take the ■■■■ out of him/her.