Memory Lane

Me and our lass are off touring to Lake Garda this Summer, personally I would of gone to Norway but shes keen on Italy.

Are places like Le Mistral and Carisio still open? I’d love to see them again.

I plan to A road it to the Blanc, cross to Garda then back up through Swiss. I’ve not been down there for ten years. Whats worth looking out for and what should I look out for?

Thank you in advance Al

Me and the Mrs are going to Como, Garda and Switzerland in June. Can’t wait!
Driving it as well…Some holiday eh? :unamused:

I know, madness isn’t it? I take the mick out of Navy mates going on Cruises too haha.

I’m a part time ■■■■ star. She won’t let me do THAT for a fortnight! :smiling_imp:

AlexWignall:
Me and our lass are off touring to Lake Garda this Summer, personally I would of gone to Norway but shes keen on Italy.

Are places like Le Mistral and Carisio still open? I’d love to see them again.

I plan to A road it to the Blanc, cross to Garda then back up through Swiss. I’ve not been down there for ten years. Whats worth looking out for and what should I look out for?

Thank you in advance Al

I would have thought that was a slightly longer way to get to Lake Garda, i went to Lake Maggiore a couple of years ago and went via Lausanne and the Simplon Pass and that was breathtaking scenery.

Just looked it up, nice one…

Mama’s Carisio, taken last month, a lot bigger than it used to be, with prices to match, you will need a mortgage to eat in there now.

Dave.

Wow, I am proper surprised… Looks like a ‘normal’ MSA, looks like we’ll be on jam butties then…

If you eat the Menu of the day it is still well priced, the beer is expensive but wine is cheep.
The Mistral is still open as well, although unlike Carisio it still looks the same as always.

davemackie:
Mama’s Carisio, taken last month, a lot bigger than it used to be, with prices to match, you will need a mortgage to eat in there now.
Dave.

Think thats a bit over the top.
Was there for a weekend and have paid more than they charge for food before now.

Menu of the day is 12 euros including wine/water and coffee.

Get a decent pizza for 6 euros.

Ben9:

davemackie:
Dave.

Think thats a bit over the top.
Was there for a weekend and have paid more than they charge for food before now.

Menu of the day is 12 euros including wine/water and coffee.

Get a decent pizza for 6 euros.

How much wine ? :slight_smile:

Last time I was in Carisio was on a Saturday night, I arrived late, so maybe I missed the 12 Euro menu, my meal cost 30 euro’s, that said, before I left on Monday night I had a Pizza cost 5 euro.

Bit of history, this is what it looked like in 1989.

Dave.

Thats the Carisio I remember. Getting into the Holiday mood now…
Cheers Lads

I was reading the paper in Italy last year,there was a story of a woman that was killed up stream of the villa,where George Clooney lives on the side of one of the lakes,she floated down,and was washed up near his villa,it was presumed,she was a prostitute,the story never went global.

If it’s got Gorge Clooney involved my Missus will be intrested…

toby1234abc:
I was reading the paper in Italy last year,there was a story of a woman that was killed up stream of the villa,where George Clooney lives on the side of one of the lakes,she floated down,and was washed up near his villa,it was presumed,she was a prostitute,the story never went global.

Good old George has a place on the side of Lake Como, now thats a nice place to go. If you go there Alex you must go up the fenicular railway its superb.

Cheers Bloke, exactly why I started this thread. All suggestions welcome.

Al

As you are going by car it might be worth considering crossing the Alps by going over the top rather than using the Blanc, the views will be spectacular if the weather is clear.

The only route I have ever used before was going over Mont Cenis which was a lot slower thaan Frejus but worth the time lost, I am sure there are plenty of others to chose from as well.

I’ll check it when I get home. We’re going in a Shogun and 24’ Caravan, at least I’m qualified to drive it.

Al

davemackie:
Last time I was in Carisio was on a Saturday night, I arrived late, so maybe I missed the 12 Euro menu, my meal cost 30 euro’s, that said, before I left on Monday night I had a Pizza cost 5 euro.

Bit of history, this is what it looked like in 1989.

Dave.

Used to be closed on a Monday didnt it ?
Can certainly remember the mozzies from them paddy fields - happy days :slight_smile: