Memories of Trafford Park

Just looking through the Manchester Archives on Trafford Park and you just dont realise how many big companies have been lost over the years.I would imagine that most of you lads on this forum have loaded from or delivered to the park at sometime during your working life.
Companys like I.C.I.Esso.Shell. Turners Asbestos.Parkers Timber.+many more.

Used to deliver tarmac to Mather and Ellis on Trafford Park from Ballidon quarry, usually a 7am tip and sometimes a split load of base and topping so plenty of shovel work! A pain in the arse with an eight wheeler as their yard was very cramped and sometimes a copper on a motorbike would wait outside ready to book you if you reversed out onto the road after tipping, so about a 20 point turn was needed with a Sed Ak 400 to get yourself facing the right way in their yard so that you could draw out forwards! The copper would clap his hands, cheeky sod.

We also did a lot of the roadwork surfacing on Tennex and Westinghouse Roads etc when they dualed it and Weaste plant was busy, the banksman guided me over a partly buried steel peg one day and blew a tyre off and then he just laughed and walked away. :unamused:

Pete.

I wonder if these firms are still there, Greengate & Irwill, Brown & Polson, Metrovik who made the generators for The Cruachan Powere Station Loch Awe. D Shed warehouse used by Thos Hedley Now Procter & Gamble. Regards Larry.

Going back a bit - I used to come down from Preston to Perkins Engines for spares.

Before the motorways were built I had to drive over the dreaded swing bridge. Bit of bad luck if a ship was coming through. 10 to 20 minute wait and hope another wasn’t coming through on my return.

For the Lancastrians and Cheshire its - altogether now “Oh the good ship sailed down the alley-alley-oh --”

I’ll not tek mi coat off, I’m not stopping.

IIRC,Theres a video of Pickfords loading Genertors in Trafford Park at The Metrovick Works,(Metropolitan Vickers) When they arrived at Cruachan they were dismantled & moved into the Mountain in the smaller pieces, As they were too high to get in , I cant remember the name of this but it was in three lots including an old Atki wagon & drag that broke a spring on route south with a ships propeller on, Perhaps someone on here can remember this?, Regards Larry.

Some of the companys you mention here Lawrence

Thomas Hedley soap & Perfume factory

Delivered coal (singles) from Mansfield and Moor Green in the 60s to Carborundum and another Works but that one has slipped away. :confused: Mike.

Stanfield:

Great photos John, Thank you for posting them, I used to load out Of Greengates, Proctor & Gambles in the 50/s onwards, It was all handball in the soap works, Whereas Greengates was all big cable drums, Of course they were more difficult to secure in those days ropes only & plenty of wood chocks a hammer & some nails, Easier than handballing a thousand boxes of Daz on a 8 legger , Happy days then, :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Regards Larry.

Fords had a factory there many years ago.

A few more memories of T/Park.

And i wouldnt mind betting that a few of you lads had a bacon buttie here now and again.

thelongdrag:
Delivered coal (singles) from Mansfield and Moor Green in the 60s to Carborundum and another Works but that one has slipped away. :confused: Mike.

First 8 wheeler I ever drove (Atky tipper), Singles from Ackton Hall pit(Featherstone) to Hedleys, far end of Trafford Park.
When you think about it TP generated a vast amount of money into the Manchester economy, and the whole industrial complex of The Park wasn’t too bad a place for us lorry drivers.

And the massage parlour on 5th Avenue! :blush:
No pics though!

Stanfield:

I used to get return loads From Allens Transport, Frazer Road, In the Park usually Duers Marmalade for various wholesalers in the north east, Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:
I used to get return loads From Allens Transport, Frazer Road, In the Park usually Duers Marmalade for various wholesalers in the north east, Regards Larry.

By heck. that brings back memories, Larry! Duerrs jam factory - that was one hole of a joint if ever there was one! Used to deliver liquid sugar there when Tate and Lyle had a plant on the park.

Steve

Ste46:

Lawrence Dunbar:

By heck. that brings back memories, Larry! Duerrs jam factory - that was one hole of a joint if ever there was one! Used to deliver liquid sugar there when Tate and Lyle had a plant on the park.

Steve

Hi Steve, I never loaded at Duerrs Factory, The load was allways out of Allens Depot, & As far as I know Duerrs are still going, Regards Larry.

I used to load at Duerrs’ warehouse at Wythenshawe. Never had as much as a jar of marmalade out of them!

Retired Old ■■■■:
I used to load at Duerrs’ warehouse at Wythenshawe. Never had as much as a jar of marmalade out of them!

You were on the wrong job ROF! If you helped unload and load (unusually in the early seventies - not actually obligatory) at Burtons Biscuits, you would be given a bag full of everything from custard creams to Jammie Dodgers. If you went from factory to factory for a week or two, you could hardly get in the cab for biscuits!

One lad on Pritchetts reckoned that ‘even the dog wouldn’t eat biscuits’ in his house!

The crisp factory at billingham usually gave you an extra box, but it had to go in the back of the van trailer - the gate usually looked inside your cab. This meant finding a lonely lay-by to rescue the box!

Soon after I was married in 1974, I took my wife with me to SPD in Dundee, unloaded and went to a carpet factory (can’t remember which one) to reload South. Those were the days that you could wander about factories. My wife saw a purple carpet which she said would be perfect for our bedroom (remember ‘aubergine’ was the in colour at the time). We got a huge roll for about £5.00 cash!

John

Used to get spuds in blocks of eleven instead of ten if the bags were tilted on their edge.
A similar dodge when handballing cartons of tinned fruit out of London docks- our local shop stocked more pineapple chunks than the man from Del Monte!

You have got me thinking now Larry, did Brown and Polson become C.P.C. or Custard Powders Limited or was that somewhere else in Trafford Park, :confused: hopefully somebody will know.
I have a lot of memories from Trafford Park over the years, one of them being from when we used to load out of Massey Fergusson Industrial mainly for Eastern Europe. When loading with a tilt I always found that the best way was to take the tilt cord out of all the eyes up to the front bay. Then it was a good idea to put a tilt board on the back flap of the tilt and roll it along the roof towards the front, as the sheet wrapped around the board this used to help to keep the sheet level on both sides. After taking the roof boards out you could then drive two front end loaders on and travel with what was called Open T.I.R.
I could never understand why for some reason in the Commie Block and Turkey they would actually put a custom seal on the steering wheels of both machines whenever you reached their border. :unamused:

And my best biscuit loads were from Nabisco Biscuits in Welwyn Garden City.
Once you backed onto the bay they would give you a voucher for a free breakfast or lunch in their staff canteen and after they loaded you they would give the driver a cardboard box which included a couple of boxes of Shredded Wheat, Ritz, Shreddies etc. I used to put the box in the cab and drive up to Haydock where we would often deliver to a biscuit warehouse and I knew that if I jumped in the back to help them as it was all “handball” then they would reward me very well with another box full of biscuits. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: