Memories of Trafford Park

mushroomman:
You have got me thinking now Larry, did Brown and Polson become C.P.C. or Custard Powders Limited or was that somewhere else in Trafford Park, :confused: hopefully somebody will know.
I have a lot of memories from Trafford Park over the years, one of them being from when we used to load out of Massey Fergusson Industrial mainly for Eastern Europe. When loading with a tilt I always found that the best way was to take the tilt cord out of all the eyes up to the front bay. Then it was a good idea to put a tilt board on the back flap of the tilt and roll it along the roof towards the front, as the sheet wrapped around the board this used to help to keep the sheet level on both sides. After taking the roof boards out you could then drive two front end loaders on and travel with what was called Open T.I.R.
I could never understand why for some reason in the Commie Block and Turkey they would actually put a custom seal on the steering wheels of both machines whenever you reached their border. :unamused:

And my best biscuit loads were from Nabisco Biscuits in Welwyn Garden City.
Once you backed onto the bay they would give you a voucher for a free breakfast or lunch in their staff canteen and after they loaded you they would give the driver a cardboard box which included a couple of boxes of Shredded Wheat, Ritz, Shreddies etc. I used to put the box in the cab and drive up to Haydock where we would often deliver to a biscuit warehouse and I knew that if I jumped in the back to help them as it was all “handball” then they would reward me very well with another box full of biscuits. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

CPC.PNG

Hi Malc, thanks for that and I hope that you are well, are you back on the Bacon Butties yet ? :slight_smile:
It’s always surprising how one comment or a reply from somebody sparks another old memory for someone else. If I remember correctly, in the eighties there were quite a few of the companies in Trafford Park which started to close down or relocate. A few of the larger old buildings were turned into small industrial estates for warehousing, freight forwarders or into smaller business areas. It would of been sometime in 1984 after I had tipped in Athens that I received a Telex with my backload instruction to collect a full load from a factory near Titograd in Yugoslavia for a warehouse in Trafford Park.
It really did annoy me to find that I was loading hundreds of rolls of cotton cloth for Manchester. :imp:
Manchester and Lancashire had exported finished cotton goods around the world for over 150 years and now it was importing it from a place like Yugoslavia. I thought at the time that people would never believe me when I got home.
Even in Australia today you will still find in most department stores that they have a sign saying “Manchester”. In this area you will find bed sheets, tea towels, table clothes etc. I did once ask a store assistant why they called it the Manchester department and she replied it’s always been called that. :neutral_face:

For me it was/is the smells -

Kellogs/Turners Asbestos/Caborundum/CPC or Levers, all depending on where you were and prevailing winds

Lankro across the water was always a bit Iffy though

Sniffy:
For me it was/is the smells -

Kellogs/Turners Asbestos/Caborundum/CPC or Levers, all depending on where you were and prevailing winds

Lankro across the water was always a bit Iffy though

Hi Steve
Is that how you got your user name Steve ? :wink: :wink: :laughing: but seriously I no what you mean I always remember the smell from the soap works at the bottom end of Ordsall Lane when I was on my way to the match at OT.

thelongdrag:
Delivered coal (singles) from Mansfield and Moor Green in the 60s to Carborundum and another Works but that one has slipped away. :confused: Mike.

Hi Mike, The Carborundum Works in Trafford Park would always bring a smile to my face whenever I drove past there. :smiley:
I never loaded or tipped there but during my last year at school our teacher organised a day out to some of the local factories around the Manchester area to give us an idea of what it would be like when we ventured out into the big wide world and started in the workplace. The trips were always on a Friday and The Carborundum Works was the first one that we did. As we had to get two bus rides across town three lads went missing before we even reached Trafford Park but turned up at school on the Monday morning all with Matt Busby and Bobby Charlton’s autographs. :sunglasses:
After walking around the factory to see how they made the grindstones and the grinding wheels we were all given a small Carborundum grindstone to take home as a souvenir.
I must admit that I much preferred the trip to The Crumpsall Biscuit Works.

Regards Steve.

I know it not technically Trafford Park ,but dad would run into a Cold store just off Odsal Lane with Frozen Boxed Beef . I can remember one trip he did and just before he arrived he was still in Ireland the cop raided the place (or the guys were in Court) . Front Page news in The Manchester Evening News that a manager ,supervisor and some staff had been caught stealing stock from the place and a lot as well.

I can’t remember if there were four or five big sheds at M.I.F.T. the Manchester International Freight Terminal in the 80’s/90’s. Paul Hauser had one, Davis Turner had one and M.A.T. had one. Can anybody remember the name of others.
I came across this photo and I have no idea when it was taken. I can’t remember the building on the right, that used to be a railway siding where there was a cafĂ© in a wooden hut next to it.

mushroomman:
I can’t remember if there were four or five big sheds at M.I.F.T. the Manchester International Freight Terminal in the 80’s/90’s. Paul Hauser had one, Davis Turner had one and M.A.T. had one. Can anybody remember the name of others.
I came across this photo and I have no idea when it was taken. I can’t remember the building on the right, that used to be a railway siding where there was a cafĂ© in a wooden hut next to it.

Wasn’t the building on the right Davies Turner’s texiles/hanging garments depot? I’m sure that’s where I used to load their trailers for Morocco when I was doing DT work. Robert

Danzas had a shed and pascal fruit if I remember right around 1985. The cafe facing mat transport
Was run by a couple called jack and nell from worsley.there was also a company called gentransco I can’t
Remember what shed they were in.

M.I.F.T today
Sheds 2 & 3 are ocupied by I J McGill transport and Davis Turner ocupy all the building to the right offices + Warehouse.I cannot remember who is now in shed 1 (Vangaurd Logistics i think)

MIFT at Trafford Park.jpg

mushroomman:

thelongdrag:
Delivered coal (singles) from Mansfield and Moor Green in the 60s to Carborundum and another Works but that one has slipped away. :confused: Mike.

Hi Mike, The Carborundum Works in Trafford Park would always bring a smile to my face whenever I drove past there. :smiley:
I never loaded or tipped there but during my last year at school our teacher organised a day out to some of the local factories around the Manchester area to give us an idea of what it would be like when we ventured out into the big wide world and started in the workplace. The trips were always on a Friday and The Carborundum Works was the first one that we did. As we had to get two bus rides across town three lads went missing before we even reached Trafford Park but turned up at school on the Monday morning all with Matt Busby and Bobby Charlton’s autographs. :sunglasses:
After walking around the factory to see how they made the grindstones and the grinding wheels we were all given a small Carborundum grindstone to take home as a souvenir.
I must admit that I much preferred the trip to The Crumpsall Biscuit Works.

Regards Steve.

Hi Steve. Yes I would go with the biscuits. And thinking about the smells that sniffy mentioned has jogged the memory some what. The other place I delivered to but with smalls as apposed to singles iirc, had a rubbery smell so probably a conveyor belting manufacturing firm or similar. Don’t think it was a tyre company as I would sureIy have remembered their name but, then again. :confused: There was a Manchester Stores on Dale Road in Matlock that I think probably closed down in the late sixties.

Mike. :slight_smile:

mushroomman:

Gentransco morphed into Danzas. Pascual Fruit had a shed there indeed.DT were the first shed on lhs if I recall.Roadspeed (morphed into Frans Maas)were there also,down the very bottom,if memory serves me correctly.
The little restaurant on the left,was run by a husband and wife,and another lady.Think the hubby did a bit of driving for Van Himst of Belgium.

Hi Mike, probably the Rubber Regenerating Co in Trafford Park. When I was with JB Carriers we had a motor on contract to them. Belting, conveyors etc,

Opposite Humbro, the edible oil refiners. Don’t forget all the bonded warehouses full to the roofs with raw tobacco in cases from Manchester Docks. Some still standing and in use eg 26 Bond. Other factories included Cerstar the starch manufacturers, Proctor and Gamble, Brooke Bond all still in full swing.

Others will come to mind!

Bob

I remember a firm called Holdens Transport & Storage from Rawtenstall who also had a warehouse in the Park, They ran a lot of BMC Motors artics & vans, They used to store P&G stuff, IIRC They went on to run a few Guy Andy Cap artics in light Green Livery, ore good places to load I used to load there sometimes, They were a good set of lads, Of course in those days in the 50/60s there were lots of good pick up points in the Park, Plus all the good cafes, Like Jims opposite Liverpool Warehousing at the entrance to the Park, Regards Larry.

Loading at Proctor and Gamble in the 70s, anybody remember one of H.Currie`s motor rolling out of the loading bay
straight into the chain link fence and damaging a few cars in the compound.

whiplash:
.Roadspeed (morphed into Frans Maas)were there also,down the very bottom,if memory serves me correctly.

I does indeed serve you correctly. From memory Frans Maas brought Roadspeed in the early 90’s, to expand their coverage into Ireland. There was talk of FM moving to MIFT from Wythenshawe, but in the end they built a new wharehouse in Wythenshawe. They also acquired a Roadspeed wharehouse in Hayes west London :wink: