Meal Allowance

Does anyone know what the maximum meal allowance is a day tax free please, speaking to a driver the other day and he gets £10.00 a day tax free doesn’t seem right to me.

What he saves on tax on that tenner a day he loses when he’s on holiday.

thought it was still only £2 tax free
maybe he can spend £10 and as long he has receipts
he’ll get it back

when on the s/e umbrella swindle I was allowed £10 a day / shift

We get £5.75 tax free if out over 12 hours :wink:

I was on over £12 a day tax free meal allowance at Stobrats a few years back, think its gone up to £15 per day now.

I used to get £21/day, day cabbed wagon too. Wage looked good on paper but amounted to about £8/hour + the allowance. It might be perfectly legit but I got worried I’d receive an enquiry from HMRC so I left and am paid “properly” in this job.

I claim £10 per shift. I think the shift has to exceed 10 hours though to claim this amount without a receipt.

Tenner if shift is 10 hrs or more. No receipt req. Says on HMRC site somewhere. Used to be a fiver.

Left hand down!:
Tenner if shift is 10 hrs or more. No receipt req. Says on HMRC site somewhere. Used to be a fiver.

Where does it say this ? My shifts are longer than 10 hours but I can only claim £2 a day

kemaro:

Left hand down!:

Where does it say this ? My shifts are longer than 10 hours but I can only claim £2 a day

Left hand down!:
on HMRC site somewhere.

£15 a day tax free meal allowance @ stobarts.

Left hand down!:

kemaro:

Left hand down!:

Left hand down!:
on HMRC site somewhere.

Where on the hmrc website , I can’t find it anywhere, can you put a link up for it ?

kemaro:

Left hand down!:

kemaro:

Left hand down!:

Left hand down!:
on HMRC site somewhere.

Where on the hmrc website , I can’t find it anywhere, can you put a link up for it ?

I found this if it helps,

Breakfast rate (irregular early starters only) - A rate of up to £5.00 may be paid where a worker leaves home earlier than usual and before 6.00 am and incurs a cost on breakfast taken away from his home. If the employee regularly leaves home before 6.00 am because, for example, he works an early shift he would not be entitled to use the breakfast benchmark scale rate.

One meal rate (Five hour rate) - A rate of up to £5.00 may be paid where the worker has been away from his home/normal place of work for a period of at least five hours and has incurred a cost on a meal.

Two meal rate (Ten hour rate) - A rate of up to £10.00 may be paid where the worker has been away from his home/normal place of work for a period of at least ten hours and has incurred a cost on a meal or meals.

Late evening meal rate (irregular late finishers only) - A rate of up to £15.00 may be paid where the employee has to work later than usual, finishes work after 8.00 pm having worked his normal day and has to buy a meal which he would usually have at home.
hmrc.gov.uk/briefs/income-tax/brief2409.htm

kemaro:

Left hand down!:

kemaro:

Left hand down!:

Left hand down!:
on HMRC site somewhere.

No. I’ve got better things to do with my time. I had to find out the correct info from there about hearing all the urban myths from threads on here, so there’s no reason why you can’t do the same.

been away from his home/normal place of work for a period of at least ten hours

you cant claim £10 because you are at your normal place of work in the truck

Late evening meal rate (irregular late finishers only) - A rate of up to £15.00 may be paid where the employee has to work later than usual, finishes work after 8.00 pm having worked his normal day and has to buy a meal which he would usually have at home.

£100 says i cant get £75 per week as a meal allowance :laughing: :laughing:

all these rates quoted are meant for temporary workers (agency) who don’t expect to be at the same place for more than 2 years

I think some people misunderstand when they hear of people claiming expenses too, it’s not like the government give you that £10 back!

Qualifying conditions
Benchmark scale rates must only be used where all the qualifying conditions are met. The qualifying conditions are:

• the travel must be in the performance of an employee’s duties or to a temporary place of work
  • the employee should be absent from his normal place of work or home for a continuous period in excess of five hours or ten hours
  • the employee should have incurred a cost on a meal (food and drink) after starting the journey

Early starter and late finisher rates
The early starter and late finisher rates are for use in exceptional circumstances only and not intended for employees with regular early or late work patterns.

Tax and NICs free scale rate payments must be limited to three meal rates in one day (or 24 hour period). A meal is defined as a combination of food and drink.

Where employees are required to start early or finish late on a regular basis, the over five hours or over ten hours rates could be paid provided all the other qualifying rules are satisfied.

daffyd:
all these rates quoted are meant for temporary workers (agency) who don’t expect to be at the same place for more than 2 years

I think some people misunderstand when they hear of people claiming expenses too, it’s not like the government give you that £10 back!

The OP didn’t make it clear but I assumed he was talking about temp work rather than as an employee.

Left hand down!:

kemaro:

Left hand down!:

kemaro:

Left hand down!:

Left hand down!:
on HMRC site somewhere.

No. I’ve got better things to do with my time. I had to find out the correct info from there about hearing all the urban myths from threads on here, so there’s no reason why you can’t do the same.

Well pi s s off then you k n o b , don’t post that you know it all if you don’t want to help others …