McDowells

Hi does anyone have any info on McDowells, wages, what the work and vehicles are like? Thanks

Not sure but this guy seemed to do ok when he was there :laughing:

They never have been…

The best payers. I can’t quote what the pay structure is there. A friend of mine made enquiries last year after avoiding them for a decade just to see if they were better than they had been. He said the money was still well below average.

Many years ago,I was pulled for a vehicle check on the Nottingham ring road whilst doing nights for W H Malcolms. The wheel-tappers passed the truck and trailer clean as was my digicard.
I asked how long the McDowell Mercedes had been there to be informed ‘he’s been here an hour already and he probably ain’t leaving til morning’.

Ask the right Qs at interview, good luck if you go for it.

I think they match the “west Yorkshire average” now regarding pay but were well below it for a number of years.
Always seemed a bit of a funny set up to me but I can’t quite put my finger on why.
We sometimes load out of there and the drivers always seem very busy to say the least

I was talking to one of the drivers a while back and he said you can pick between days,tramping or 4 on 4 off tramping,money wasn’t great think he mentioned £9 ph mark but the 4 on 4 off trampers were on roughly same as mon-fri trampers as weekend rate is included.
As pointed out money around west Yorks ain’t great unless you drop on and Mcdowells are always advertising along with Tom Moorhouses…

Or look further a field if you don’t mind travelling…

Cheers thanks for that. They sent me an application form this morning with a “typical” weeks wage. £643 on top for 65 hrs and 4 nights out

huddersfield66:
Cheers thanks for that. They sent me an application form this morning with a “typical” weeks wage. £643 on top for 65 hrs and 4 nights out

Well we pay the average for area and if we did that top line would be £755,we hardly do nights out though,

Im glad I don’t live in West Yorkshire as I didn’t know it was so bad

huddersfield66:
a “typical” weeks wage. £643 on top for 65 hrs and 4 nights out

That’s a lot of hours etc for a mediocre wage that includes around £100 of night out money

yorkshire terrier:
Well we pay the average for area and if we did that top line would be £755,we hardly do nights out though,

For an average of 48-52hrs per/week for day work and home every night, I’m probably at or above the latter figure most weeks

peirre:

huddersfield66:

That’s a lot of hours etc for a mediocre wage that includes around £100 of night out money

yorkshire terrier:

For an average of 48-52hrs per/week for day work and home every night, I’m probably at or above the latter figure most weeks

+1

Circa £100 for 13hr shift ■■?

How the ■■■■ are firms getting bums on seats for that ?

There is a local firm by me (the firm that likes to park up in lane 1 of the M1)…paying similar for maxing hours and only way they get drivers is to ship them in from Poland and give them a mattress in an over crowded rented flat

peirre:

huddersfield66:

yorkshire terrier:

That’s good is that Pierre,is that in West Yorkshire?? If so any jobs :smiley:

I’m in West Yorkshire,worst I’ve seen was the one at Honley,£8.50 ph for first 50 hrs,anything over that £11 ph but 45 mins deducted for breaks and no CPC training or funding,no company sick pay either…

And they’ve been going over 100 years :open_mouth:
I’ll stick where I am and carry on with the 56 mile round trip a day :unamused:

yorkshire terrier:

huddersfield66:

No wonder the Maritimes, Stobarts and XPO’s of this world have no issues getting drivers when McDowells, Longs of Leeds and the rest are paying that.

I hate the line of you get more stacking shelves but seriously … these ■■■■■ little companies should be boycotted.

40 hours on a fork lift @ 9 per hour and 20 @ 13.50 (time and a half) and you are on more than a mcdowells man, in your bed every night and working 5 less hours. And the fork lift man is probably on more than £9 per hour :smiley:

yorkshire terrier:
That’s good is that Pierre,is that in West Yorkshire?? If so any jobs :smiley:

Unfortunately its further south
As the forums resident limper, its just another temporary job on my resume.
I have a track record of getting my feet under the table and working the same site for several years, but Im only there while they need me, theres only 2-3 of us who are there regularly M-F, the rest turn up when needed. So while the going is good I`m keeping my head down and making hay while the sun shines, banking the cash and waiting out the current C-19 crisis with the intent of heading off to southern Europe on the bike when its safe(r) to do so.

Yorkielad:
I’m in West Yorkshire,worst I’ve seen was the one at Honley,£8.50 ph for first 50 hrs,anything over that £11 ph but 45 mins deducted for breaks and no CPC training or funding,no company sick pay either…

Didn’t realise the pay was that crap in Honley. Used to be on a par with Dews until they went bust. As far as McDowells goes I won’t be bothering I’m gonna stay where I am. The money’s ok here for a rigid we’re out all week anyway and I’m only 10 mins from home . 65 hrs and 4 nights gives me 750 on top here for an 18 tonner

Yorkielad:

I live near Honley and thought I might see if they needed any drivers for cover etc.

At those rates I wouldn’t even get out of bed as the saying goes.

I’ll pass.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Truckulent:

Yorkielad:

I live near Honley and thought I might see if they needed any drivers for cover etc.

I’ll pass.

It might have changed now tbf,it was around 2 year ago when I looked into it,but they do still advertise all the time and it doesn’t tell you rate on advert you have to ring up for that…

Yorkielad:

Truckulent:

Yorkielad:

I’ll pass.

It might have changed now tbf,it was around 2 year ago when I looked into it,but they do still advertise all the time and it doesn’t tell you rate on advert you have to ring up for that…

Yes… it’s a bit of a giveaway no wage advertised…!!

Truckulent:

Yorkielad:

Truckulent:

Yorkielad:

I’ll pass.

Work with a few lads that used to work at Moorhouses. One of them claims that to make a half decent wage he’d needed to have hit 45hrs by end of Wednesday!

mbax81:

Truckulent:

Yorkielad:

Truckulent:

Yorkielad:

I’ll pass.

Work with a few lads that used to work at Moorhouses. One of them claims that to make a half decent wage he’d needed to have hit 45hrs by end of Wednesday!

[emoji47] what they paying tuppence hapney

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On a separate note…

Anyone know of anywhere in the Hudds/Bfd area that may be on the look out for someone to cover shifts etc. Don’t really want to trek to Leeds/Oldham but will for a reasonable fee!!