mcburney

greg50:
i omitted agin to say wheelnut.
mcburnies are a northern irish firm,not southern,although they have some trucks registered in dublin.
i wont go into politics but i remember mcburnies 30 yrs ago and their drivers,or breed of driver should i say.
enough said on that.

30 yrs ago…i’m sure a lot of those drivers are still there :unamused:

Stobart is here. They own TDG in Dublin. I think the future will be interesting for them here as the absence of law enforcement will be a stumbling block for the law abiding Stobarts :wink:
[/quote]

I would imagine that Tesco Ireland will be near the top of ESL’s hit list as they do most of Tesco’s work in the U.K. Another one could be C&C which is now owned by Britvic, as Stobarts and Irlams (remember them - Red DAFs :laughing: ) ran out of the NDC at Lutterworth.
It will be interesting to see how they progress over the next few years :confused:

Maybe ESL could sneak in under the cover of O Connor to be sure :wink:

greg50:
remeber when dukes came into ireland,the older irish here will know what happened.
they went as quick as they came.
that was for political reasons of course,we wont go into that.
but the same can be done to stobart if he come in and starts cutting rates.
hes not invincible.
there are people willing to do it and i know some of them who wont have their business threatened by foreign operators coming in a cuttingrates no matter what country they are from.
there is a plenty of the eastern europeans doing it at the moment,trouble its hard to pinpoint them.
but they dont have the presence that stobart would have.

Hey Greg, i suppose this is as good a thread as any to mention this…
I had to pick one of our lads up from DAF in Huyton and as we came past switch island checkpoint he commented on the Irish lorries in the check point. He then told me that…‘the IRA have a contract out on Beverley Bell’
How come i said?
“for taking all the Irish wagons off the road”
well she’s not an Irish Traffic Commisioner i said, nor does she have any power over what VOSA do.
“i thought it didn’t sound right he said”

Any idea who started that rumour Greg?

really low :arrow_right:

Mike-C:

greg50:
remeber when dukes came into ireland,the older irish here will know what happened.
they went as quick as they came.
that was for political reasons of course,we wont go into that.
but the same can be done to stobart if he come in and starts cutting rates.
hes not invincible.
there are people willing to do it and i know some of them who wont have their business threatened by foreign operators coming in a cuttingrates no matter what country they are from.
there is a plenty of the eastern europeans doing it at the moment,trouble its hard to pinpoint them.
but they dont have the presence that stobart would have.

Hey Greg, i suppose this is as good a thread as any to mention this…
I had to pick one of our lads up from DAF in Huyton and as we came past switch island checkpoint he commented on the Irish lorries in the check point. He then told me that…‘the IRA have a contract out on Beverley Bell’
How come i said?
“for taking all the Irish wagons off the road”
well she’s not an Irish Traffic Commisioner i said, nor does she have any power over what VOSA do.
“i thought it didn’t sound right he said”

Any idea who started that rumour Greg?

i wouldnt believe that mike.
bell is probably in mnore danger of an english haulier shooting her than an irish one,i jhope they have agood shot.
youre no good to bev unless your name is stobart.

that checkpoint us switch is definitle a racist one.
you never see anything but irish trucks in there.
i emailed the irish dept of foreign affairs about it and sent them pictures as well.i am still waiting for a reply,they are busy in the kitchen making tea i suppose.
switch is out of order,its just a trap for irish hauliers.i have told the ones i know about queens drive,it a simple way to avoid it.
i am going to take a few weeks off and with my fully legal digi card,i will start ringing up the hauliers whos trucks are parked for 24 or 48 hrs and take them down to the boat.
something need to be done about the abuse of power by vosa they are taking the ■■■■ out of the irish and getting away with it.

not strictly ‘on topic’, but i’m currently working at a coach builders, we’ve just built 64 security bank vans , they’re fully lined out with kevlar panels, supposed to be able to take two direct shots in the same place, now we’re building 6 vans for ireland, the kevlar is not up to spec, they’re lined with quarter plate steel!
there is a difference!!

If Normans selling, he’s selling.

He cant go on for ever. He is 65 now and he should enjoy life before haulage claims another heart attack victim.

greg50 - whats with all the sectarian allusions? and it’s not the wild west - hauliers not letting ES take their work?!

must say that anybody i know who worked at mcburneys dont have anything bad to say about them.seem to have good kit ,pay much the same as everybody else,probably one of the better outfits .

ellies dad:
remember transcontinental in rosslare greg

Do any of you Irish blokes remember Blackwater International?

I can vaguely recall my dad talking to another driver about them and how
one of their wagons went flying past him while he was tooling along in
his Seddon Atki - which could shift aswell. This must have been 25 years ago. Think he said they went bust in the end.

switch is out of order,its just a trap for irish hauliers.i have told the ones i know about queens drive,it a simple way to avoid it.

if you have nothing to hide why do you need to go via queens drive. ok you might tugged but for the sake of 20 mins saying yes sir no sir i dont see the point of going the long way round just to get past a checkpoint

ESL wont be interested in taking local work off local hauliers
more likely a multi national will decide to buy transport from one haulier

a decision made in wherever and driven by the bean counters

a case off you do it in UK now do it in Ireland
or sling your hook and we’ll we wil get someone who can cover both zones

boss of Paddy trans has had enough sells up, retires minted and happy.
drivers are still needed even if the trucks change to Green

so no probs :laughing:

bell is probably in more danger of an english haulier shooting her than an irish one,i jhope they have agood shot. youre no good to bev unless your name is stobart.

that checkpoint us switch is definitle a racist one. you never see anything but irish trucks in there. i emailed the irish dept of foreign affairs about it and sent them pictures as well.i am still waiting for a reply,they are busy in the kitchen making tea i suppose.

switch is out of order,its just a trap for irish hauliers.i have told the ones i know about queens drive,it a simple way to avoid it. i am going to take a few weeks off and with my fully legal digi card, i will start ringing up the hauliers whos trucks are parked for 24 or 48 hrs and take them down to the boat.

something need to be done about the abuse of power by vosa they are taking the ■■■■ out of the irish and getting away with it.

Message for Greg50:

Perhaps if the Irish hauliers stuck to our weight limits they would stop getting pulled… They have a 40T weight limit in Eire, they’re all running around with 5 axles rigs yet they come over here rammed to the back doors and start complaining when they get pulled for being overweight.

You can’t call Switch Island a racist check point just because it’s full of Irish wagons, it is just a fact of life that VOSA know they will get more “results” pulling the Irish.

I work for a firm with a depot In Liverpool, we constantly get pleading phone calls from Irish hauliers looking for us to help them out with ovetrweight issues.

If they stick to weight limits then they won’t have problems. Not difficult is it? Or are you condoning the Irish running overweight? :question:

Simon71:

bell is probably in more danger of an english haulier shooting her than an irish one,i jhope they have agood shot. youre no good to bev unless your name is stobart.

that checkpoint us switch is definitle a racist one. you never see anything but irish trucks in there. i emailed the irish dept of foreign affairs about it and sent them pictures as well.i am still waiting for a reply,they are busy in the kitchen making tea i suppose.

switch is out of order,its just a trap for irish hauliers.i have told the ones i know about queens drive,it a simple way to avoid it. i am going to take a few weeks off and with my fully legal digi card, i will start ringing up the hauliers whos trucks are parked for 24 or 48 hrs and take them down to the boat.

Message for Greg50:

Perhaps if the Irish hauliers stuck to our weight limits they would stop getting pulled… They have a 40T weight limit in Eire, they’re all running around with 5 axles rigs yet they come over here rammed to the back doors and start complaining when they get pulled for being overweight.

You can’t call Switch Island a racist check point just because it’s full of Irish wagons, it is just a fact of life that VOSA know they will get more “results” pulling the Irish.

I work for a firm with a depot In Liverpool, we constantly get pleading phone calls from Irish hauliers looking for us to help them out with ovetrweight issues.

If they stick to weight limits then they won’t have problems. Not difficult is it? Or are you condoning the Irish running overweight? :question:

i am not condoning over weight whatsoever.
this is something that happens and the driver or haulier generally dont have control over it.
the exporter say they will load x amount of tonne in a trailer and when its loaded.they expect it to be correct
the shippers are like most shipping companies.
lying bs.
guy in the office looking for promotion will say anything to get the job done.

not good,it happens english hauliers as well.
there no overloading anymore on purpose by the hauliers.
they give a rate for the job and its supposed to be legal.
england weight laws are too stringent,
i know an owner driver in liverpool who was fined for being 500kgs over on his pin,and he had a bulk tipping trl.

vosa are too strict in this regard.
with regard to switch island checkpoint.
there is a steady flow of containers going past this checkpoint all day and night.
some of these are loaded in other countries by people who know nothing about uk laws.
i bet there would be more of these overloaded than irish trucks.
in switch island checkpoint,they do nothing more than take the ■■■■.
you very rarely see an english truck in there.
i have driven english trucks past it and got left alone.
i have also driven irish trucks and got pulled in.
difference between you and me.
i am irish.
i live in liverpool.
i drive for whoever it suits me at the time,be they english or irish,
and how much they pay.
i pass this checkpoint in one truck and get a guaranteed pull,drive past in another truck and get left alone.
i drove an english truck last night from the dock with a container,and i am sure it was over weight.
i got it to its destination.
the m57 is still in one piece by the way.
i cant be sure,so dont go blaming the irish on all the over weights that come on english roads.
vosa target irish trucks here because they are an easy target.
most of the drivers are poles who dont[or wont] speak english.
the vosa man with the most prosecutions and parkups get the promotions.
see its not just jumped up little zbzbzbs in shipping companies we have to deal with.
vosa is full of them as well.

plus.
todays trucks and braking systems…suspension etc.the modern day 5 axle combination are well able for 44 tonnes and more.
if its safe in sweden,why is it unsafe here.
like the american tacho laws and the european ones.
do we get more tired than the americans.[dont answer that if you drive around the m25 for a living]

2 plus 3 axles on air in ireland equals 42 ton gross, just a point.

r-kid:

if you have nothing to hide why do you need to go via queens drive. ok you might tugged but for the sake of 20 mins saying yes sir no sir i dont see the point of going the long way round just to get past a checkpoint

Wouldnt say Queens drive is a long way round, its actually QUICKER!!

Queens drive takes you to the foot of the M62 from the docks

Take the M57 to the M62 ( where you come on ther is only 4 miles from the end of it) route will take you past Switch Island either comin or goin,

I know I just wouldnt want the hassle, if they want to get yer on sumthin then they will , no matter how LEGAL ye think ye are. There are lots of ways out of the docks towards the M62, avoiding switch island.

Fair comments guys.

A question for you: Do any Irish hauliers run 6 axle combo’s (as I have not seen any.) :question:

It just frustrates me somewhat that the firm I work for run straight in terms of hours, weights etc and then we get plenty of phone calls from Irish hauliers looking for help with “temporarily impounded” trucks full of meat etc. “Can you come down the docks with a rigid and take two pallets off for us” etc etc…

The point about driver / traffic office responsibility is a fair one but surely as the master of a piece of kit that fully loaded can do a great deal of damage it is the driver’s responsibilty to ensure that he is not running overweight.

bell is probably in mnore danger of an english haulier shooting her than an irish one,i jhope they have agood shot.
youre no good to bev unless your name is stobart.

that checkpoint us switch is definitle a racist one.
you never see anything but irish trucks in there.
i emailed the irish dept of foreign affairs about it and sent them pictures as well.i am still waiting for a reply,they are busy in the kitchen making tea i suppose.
i am going to take a few weeks off and with my fully legal digi card,i will start ringing up the hauliers whos trucks are parked for 24 or 48 hrs and take them down to the boat.

surely run legal to avoid being parked up then?