mcburney

anyone heard that mcburney has been taken over …

don’t tell me stobart

old news ,true or untrue

its untrue lot of hauilers are running scared at the thought of stobart coming to ireland,Iam sure some will sell up,

remeber when dukes came into ireland,the older irish here will know what happened.
they went as quick as they came.
that was for political reasons of course,we wont go into that.
but the same can be done to stobart if he come in and starts cutting rates.
hes not invincible.
there are people willing to do it and i know some of them who wont have their business threatened by foreign operators coming in a cuttingrates no matter what country they are from.
there is a plenty of the eastern europeans doing it at the moment,trouble its hard to pinpoint them.
but they dont have the presence that stobart would have.

141super:
its untrue lot of hauilers are running scared at the thought of stobart coming to ireland,Iam sure some will sell up,

Stobart is here. They own TDG in Dublin. I think the future will be interesting for them here as the absence of law enforcement will be a stumbling block for the law abiding Stobarts :wink:

i wonder where they will park when their hours are up.theres not many places left in ireland now with all the new road building programs

Anyone know what the wages are like with stobart,See nolan tsp where fined 90.000 euro for tachos an that was in ireland.

greg50:
remeber when dukes came into ireland,the older irish here will know what happened.
hes not invincible.
there are people willing to do it and i know some of them who wont have their business threatened by foreign operators coming in a cuttingrates no matter what country they are from.
there is a plenty of the eastern europeans doing it at the moment,trouble its hard to pinpoint them.

Movin On :exclamation:

That was a silly post given the circumstances

Wheel Nut:

greg50:
hes not invincible.
there is a plenty of the eastern europeans doing it at the moment,trouble its
hard to pinpoint them.

why silly?
you dont know a lot about ireland i gather.
are people to alllow themselves to be intimidated and lose their work to these big companies without doing something about it.
its not silly ,its serious.
what circumstances do you mean?

greg50:

Wheel Nut:

greg50:
hes not invincible.
there is a plenty of the eastern europeans doing it at the moment,trouble its
hard to pinpoint them.

why silly?
are people to alllow themselves to be intimidated and lose their work to these big companies without doing something about it.

Well nothing was done when Nolan set on all his new employees, How many of the original staff are left? unless you are saying that Nolan didnt cut rates and just saved the money up to pay his fines

nolan is not the nicest of people. an ignorant zb.
he never deserved the irishmen or the welshmen he had and he had good ones from both lands.i knew plenty of them.
i wouldnt or couldnt compare nolan to stobart.
nolan is full of eastern europeans now and trying to get his english speaking staff back up in numbers i hear.
i for one will not be ringing him looking for a job.
however.
nolan does european work and doesnt do a lot of internal excpt fot his old work that hes always had…i remember nolan 30 years ago.
he had 10 trucks then.
stobart is a different thing altogether.
he will come in and try to damage irish hauliers by taking their work.

some of these middle sized hauliers are old friends of mine from when we were all owner drivers many years ago.
some of us went down and some flourished.
i couldnt be bothered in the end.
believe you me,i know these guys well and stobart will have trouble on his hands if he tries to poach their work.

i omitted the important part.
the reason nolan got so big so quick was.
there was only pandoro and b and i doing trailer services between the uk and ireland in a large capacity,
this was about 1978[open to correction on the yr]
pandoro were profitable with a handful of staff.
b and i was over unionised and had a boss for every worker,the government was[reading this howatzi] injecting money all the time.
it had to stop.
nolan was a subbie in the b and i.[so was i at that time]
when they closed,he got most of the trailers,and the work.
a lot of the work was crap.
but he got good prices of the ferry companies and grew steadily to what he is today.
i dont think this was a good thing,but
thats life.
he wouldnt be operating if i had my way.
big companies ruin owner drivers.

In the days of takeovers and mergers, this is the way things are going. I would have thought that with the companies like Nolan and Breen who you have commented on in the past. Macburney would be better replaced with Stobart, at least they stick to the rules and could employ the drivers who are out of work already.
Breen International

Your troubles will begin if someone like HSF buy MacBurney

why silly?

I know enough about Europe to see how things are going without setting foot in Ireland

remember transcontinental in rosslare greg

i do remember them well.
i was in the yard in rosslare many times.
sucked into the p and o group and then lost all the work as people wouldnt trust p and o. to get the goods there,same as stateline.

i had plenty of friends driving for them,i near started for them myself.
except for the takeover.
the boss was paddy heffernan,from castleisland in kerry.
i never knew him,but i always heard he was a gentleman.
no one complained about him or the job and he was big at the time of the takeover.
i was sorry to see that end as well as a lot of other irish and welshmen.

Wheel Nut:
In the days of takeovers and mergers, this is the way things are going. I would have thought that with the companies like Nolan and Breen who you have commented on in the past. Macburney would be better replaced with Stobart, at least they stick to the rules and could employ the drivers who are out of work already.
Breen International

Your troubles will begin if someone like HSF buy MacBurney

why silly?

I know enough about Europe to see how things are going without setting foot in Ireland

now you are touching something close to my heart wheelnut.
the donation i receive in the bank every fri from the employer.

none of the 4 companies we speak of.
breen/mcb/nolan/stobart.
they dont pay the money.
useless jobs.
i went to mcbs a while ago,they offered £6 ph for the first 40 hrs working weekends.
no no.
i did an application to stobart the same time.i window shop these jobs,i dont want them but will apply to see what the cash is.]
i learned on this forum.stobart £7.20 per hr.
another nono.
breen,last time i heard from a liverpool friend…

110 euros per day.
eastern europen driver rate as these are happy with it,not me…

nolan
i dont know,but i cant see him being any better.i just wouldnt bother ringing.

pay peanuts and get the monkeys.
ireland is changing.my daughter is a cop over there.
they are starting to do road checks now and getting trained by my fav enemies vosa.
it is going to change.
all will be running legit eventually.
but i still say.
we dont need or want stobart coming in and taking work of the local hauliers.
it could be willy betz or norbert.
they would deservedly get the same as i hope stobart does.

i omitted agin to say wheelnut.
mcburnies are a northern irish firm,not southern,although they have some trucks registered in dublin.
i wont go into politics but i remember mcburnies 30 yrs ago and their drivers,or breed of driver should i say.
enough said on that.

we do a little work with Mc Burneys and most of the above posts means nothing to me, so, have they been taken over by stobarts or not?

greg50:
i omitted agin to say wheelnut.
mcburnies are a northern irish firm,not southern,although they have some trucks registered in dublin.
i wont go into politics but i remember mcburnies 30 yrs ago and their drivers,or breed of driver should i say.
enough said on that.

like all the big ni hauliers, most made there names on the backs of political and religious discrimination. I know first hand, as i mentioned before the likes of Dukes good riddance. Stobarts to me are just another haulier whatever country they’re from. No axe to grind yet :slight_smile: