Mays Motors

Scroll down to clip 8 and a nice footage of one with driver on…maybe you, think it’s to do when tacho’s first came in.

itnsource.com/compilations/d … =S30100607

nice motorway scene

Im sure Charlie will confirm this.The Mays Scania in the clip was driven by Jim Moody and the other guy was Peter May.(I think)

What a great firm mays were. I grew up as a kid hanging around the yard a lot with dad as he worked for Frederick millers and we shared their yard. I lived that place. I still live just down the road in hindhead and often pass the place now filled up with houses :frowning:. I remember all the lorries that we see pics of today and would love to mind more of mays and millers trucks please anyone

Hi all.One of the more ‘geriatric’ Mays drivers may be able to put me right.
In 1975 i was sitting in the desert in Saudi having a meal when a Mays Motors from Brentwood stopped next to me.We had a meal together then parted company.Is this just my imagination playing tricks with me,or did Mays Motors do M.E.during the 70s at any time.I remember it was an Atki as i thought ‘we get everywhere’.Mike

hutpik:
In 1975 i was sitting in the desert in Saudi having a meal when a Mays Motors from Brentwood stopped next to me.We had a meal together then parted company.Is this just my imagination playing tricks with me,or did Mays Motors do M.E.during the 70s at any time.I remember it was an Atki as i thought ‘we get everywhere’.Mike

Hi Here is an old geriatric ex Mays Motors driver.1975 eh? That would have been either Jim Moody or Ray Thorne.
What a wonderful thing is total recall.Regards Charlie :laughing: :laughing:

charlie one:

hutpik:

Hi Here is an old geriatric ex Mays Motors driver.1975 eh? That would have been either Jim Moody or Ray Thorne.
What a wonderful thing is total recall.Regards Charlie :laughing: :laughing:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
I like that Charlie “Total recall”.

Hi Charlie.Many thanks for that.I remember when i met the truck as i had just sold my ex Bakers ERF and gone ‘up market’ with and old F88. I dont remember who the driver was but was that must have been before Ray went to Astrans.Did Mays do much ME or was it just a ‘‘try out’’.I see on here that Mays were from Surrey or somwhere but i’m from Colchester and i’m sure i remember seeing them near to the old cafe in Brentwood during the early 70s.Mike

Hi Mike.Yes it was only a try out.Not much revenue was made by Mays.The biggest setback was that the drivers were paid by the hour.And as you well know most guys were on trip.Yes Mays were from Elstead in Surrey.About 6 miles south of Guildford off the A3.

Hi Chris.Total recall is my middle name or if I remember .My second to last I think!

Regards Charlie :laughing: :laughing:

hiya brought this out of the wood work…i hope its OK… rest in peace sir…you ll have made many people happy
i remember the Atkinson rebuild well. i ve seen your lorries many times…its time to look down and please be happy.
John

I have put up a few postings re Mays over the years,but I only have a couple of photos.Has anyone any others.
Here is one
IMG_0028.jpg

charlie one:
I have put up a few postings re Mays over the years,but I only have a couple of photos.Has anyone any others.
Here is one0

That brings back some memories Charlie,I remember seeing their Atkinsons regularly in the late 60’s/early 70’s when I worked in Godalming usualy going back to the yard with a load of Guildway on the semi lows and if I remember rightly each unit had it’s own rear light board. I bought the book that Peter May wrote about the firm- good read and some nice pics as well. Regards Tim

Tim C:

charlie one:
Here is one0

That brings back some memories Charlie,I remember seeing their Atkinsons regularly in the late 60’s/early 70’s when I worked in Godalming usualy going back to the yard with a load of Guildway on the semi lows and if I remember rightly each unit had it’s own rear light board. I bought the book that Peter May wrote about the firm- good read and some nice pics as well. Regards Tim

Hi Tim.I worked for Mays twice in the sixties.Early and late.Did my share or Guildway or Cedar Homes as it was called before.Those light boards were ok
but you had to take it off the unit and put it on the trailer Naturally you then had no lights od indicators on the rear of the tractor.Had a few pulls over that!
I,ve got Peters book also.Great read.Mays were a good firm to work for.They only paid the rate but you always got your sixty hours in.Happy days.Regards Charlie :laughing: :laughing:

charlie one:

Tim C:

charlie one:
Here is one0

Hi Tim.I worked for Mays twice in the sixties.Early and late.Did my share or Guildway or Cedar Homes as it was called before.Those light boards were ok
but you had to take it off the unit and put it on the trailer Naturally you then had no lights od indicators on the rear of the tractor.Had a few pulls over that!
I,ve got Peters book also.Great read.Mays were a good firm to work for.They only paid the rate but you always got your sixty hours in.Happy days.Regards Charlie :laughing: :laughing:

And quite right too Charlie!! an honest days pay for an honest days work!!! Dennis.

Bewick:

charlie one:

Tim C:

charlie one:
Here is one0

And quite right too Charlie!! an honest days pay for an honest days work!!! Dennis.

I totally agree Dennis.However to be honest again,I used to pinch the odd half hour in the cafe.Sorry.Regards Charlie :laughing: :laughing:

charlie one:
Here is one0

I think I may have posted this for you before, but it’s worth seeing again!

Hi 240 Gardner.Many thanks for posting that pic again.Bought a tear to my eye.Not only the nostalgia but the strain of trying
to keep the ■■■■ motor on the road.Thanks again.Regards Charlie :laughing: :laughing:

Here’s one from the later years Charlie,when they hauled bricks

Regards Tim

Any ex Mays Motors out there.I,ve had an email from Alfie Bevans son Nigel who tells me that Mick Reeves has passed away.The funeral was last Monday RIP Mick.Among the many people who were there included Peter and Andrew May
Jim Moody,Alfie Bevan,Fred Aldred,Jim Moody And would you believe it John Hill :astonished: I am told he is 92 and still going strong.Regards Charlie :laughing: :laughing:

charlie one:
Hi 240 Gardner.Many thanks for posting that pic again.Bought a tear to my eye.Not only the nostalgia but the strain of trying
to keep the ■■■■ motor on the road.Thanks again.Regards Charlie :laughing: :laughing:

Mays were from Surrey somewhere I think Charlie? You are a Hampshire lad look! Did they let you take the wagon home to Alton? They were green wagons IIRC so it wouldn’t have mattered,they would have blended into that lush 'ampshire bucolic countryside eh?
Shall I :laughing: bugger off…