Mays Motors

Mays motors were from elstead in surrey, lovely turned out motors,lovely village, the yard must have been worth a fortune, my aunty used to live there and i remember the lorrys from when i was akid.

Dont know if this is an original May’s truck.Picture taken from the june Heritage Commercial mag seen making its rally debut.The truck is owned by John Doe and the photo was taken by Gyles Carpenter.There is soon to be a feature on it in a later magazine.(Its not in the July issue though)

Looking at the other pics on here the sign writing is slightly different (ie the m/M on the headboard.) so maybe not originally one of theres,maybe someone can tell us.

Stanfield:
Dont know if this is an original May’s truck.Picture taken from the june Heritage Commercial mag seen making its rally debut.The truck is owned by John Doe and the photo was taken by Gyles Carpenter.There is soon to be a feature on it in a later magazine.(Its not in the July issue though)0
Looking at the other pics on here the sign writing is slightly different (ie the m/M on the headboard.) so maybe not originally one of theres,maybe someone can tell us.

Hi John.Yes that is definitely one of Mays Motors I drove it on the odd occasion.Nice to see it looking so smart again.
It has been re signwritten by the look of it.Not a bad job.Many thanks for putting it on.Regards Charlie :laughing: :laughing:

Chris Webb:

charlie one:
Hi 240 Gardner.Many thanks for posting that pic again.Bought a tear to my eye.Not only the nostalgia but the strain of trying
to keep the ■■■■ motor on the road.Thanks again.Regards Charlie :laughing: :laughing:

Mays were from Surrey somewhere I think Charlie? You are a Hampshire lad look! Did they let you take the wagon home to Alton? They were green wagons IIRC so it wouldn’t have mattered,they would have blended into that lush 'ampshire bucolic countryside eh?
Shall I :laughing: bugger off…

Hello Chris.In answer to your question,Yes! At the time I worked for Mays I was living over the border in Surrey.
Worked with some lovely guys,many long gone.Regards Charlie :laughing: :laughing:

Cheers for that charlie I will look out for the write up about it in the Heritage Commercial mag and hopefully post some more pics
also keep my eyes open for it at some of the shows I go too.

Here’s a couple of pics I took at the Basingstoke Festival of Transport in May this year .It really is superb-just as I remember the May’s Atkis-it even had the old B licence showing. It created a lot of interest at the show and rightly so.John who restored the truck has done a first class job-this is the bees knees

Hello charlie one. I’ve posted these before on a thread about the Brighton Run so apologies if you’ve already seen them. If not,I hope they hit the spot. Regards,900x20. :laughing: :smiley: :stuck_out_tongue: .

:Hi 900X20.Many thanks for these pics.Wonderfull restoration.You have made an old man very happy.Regards Charlie :laughing: :laughing:

Greetings,charlie one. Many thanks for your kind words. Taking and putting photos on this site is a pleasure-I hope I can keep doing it. All the best,900X20. :smiley:

shes the mays mk1 to mk2 rebuild that Alfred Beaven did :slight_smile: article is posted on here.
Nigel

Stanfield:
Dont know if this is an original May’s truck.Picture taken from the june Heritage Commercial mag seen making its rally debut.The truck is owned by John Doe and the photo was taken by Gyles Carpenter.There is soon to be a feature on it in a later magazine.(Its not in the July issue though)0

Taken off the TV, this one was in the David Essex film ‘That’ll Be The Day’…with a headboard like that was it ex-Suttons?

skandiahamn:
Taken off the TV, this one was in the David Essex film ‘That’ll Be The Day’…with a headboard like that was it ex-Suttons?

Suttons would be a good bet Nick,I’ll bet it had a “DJ” St Helens reg. :smiley:

I worked for May’s Motors from 1988 to 1995 when they sold the yard in Elstead and the company was split in two. I remember Mick Reeves well, during my time there he was on nights doing the boots runs from Aldershot, he was quite a character, always reminiscing about the past with Digger who drove the eight wheeler Scania 93 pictured in Tim C’s post. At that time I had just joined and there was a large fleet expansion - 6 new Boots trailers, a new brick trailer, 3 new tractor units and two new rigids including the eight wheeler. They were a fantastic firm to work for, we were all treated as one of the family and I can truly say it was the best company I have ever worked for. RIP Mick

skandiahamn:

Either Sutton’s or W. H. Bowker

Hello,heres an old Scania taken in Wincanton.

Cheers Bubbs, :wink: