Maximum working time per day

I’ve looked everywhere to answer this question but can’t find anything so can someone shed some light on this please?

Is there a maximum time of hours you are allowed to work in a day?

I know there is for driving, but what about poa, other work etc?

It seems flawed if you can do your 4.5 hours driving, 45 mins break and then say 8 hours other work plus breaks and then go back to driving for 4.5 hours.

Or am I wrong?

13 single man’d mate. Can be extended to 15 (see reduced rest)

Thanks waynedl

Couldn’t find an answer for it - it’s not even on the handouts etc.

Cheers

Want2Truck:
Thanks waynedl

Cheers

Try the daily rest requirements bud, calculated on rest in a 24 hour period, basically, if your shift is up to 13 hours long, its possible to fit in an 11 hour rest before the 24 hour period is up from when your last daily rest ended. (Assuming you dont have just a reduced rest up to the start of your next duty).

If you do over 13 hours, then its only possible to fit in a reduced daily rest within the 24 hour period, 15 being the max as you need at least 9 hours for a reduced daily rest.

Want2Truck:
Thanks waynedl

Cheers

It’s in every single copy of, and leaflets, stickers and so forth about, the regulations I have ever seen. It tells you the amount of rest required in the 24-hour period which commences when you resume work after a rest period. So armed with the knowledge of how much rest you must have simple math tells you what is left for working/duty time, 13 or 15 hours…

Indeed. If you’re not able to find it anywhere or work out what it is from the information presented to you then truck driving isn’t a job for you as it requires you to be able to actually think for yourself and find out things for yourself.

If you can’t do that, you’re going to spend a lot of time at home waiting for the phone to ring.

A little harsh perhaps gentlemen?

The OP is obviously new to the industry, or maybe not even in it yet. You guys that have been in it for years forget how much knowledge you’ve picked up over time.

He was, quite understandably, looking for rules governing max. working hours. A fairly reasonable assumption that there would be such.
If you don’t know, who would guess that they would be governed in a back handed arse about face way by the min. amount of rest required?

If you don’t know, you don’t know.
Don’t be so hard on the lad(?) it was a reasonable question.

Have to agree I was always told - IF YOU DON’T KNOW ASK bit harsh to say they shouldn’t be in haulage industry if they don’t know the answer. Have to say when I first started out what I knew about regulations could have been written on back of a postage stamp, now nearly ten years down line it could still be written on back of a postage stamp. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Furthermore Conor he has found out for himself in doing what the majority of lorry drivers do when they need to know something they ask other drivers!!! If he hadn’t asked he wouldn’t have found out I salute you sir for asking!!

Driveroneuk:
who would guess that they would be governed in a back handed arse about face way by the min. amount of rest required

Is it arse about face though? Surely in regulations supposedly designed to ensure adequate rest then rest is more important than working time so it makes sense to specify the amount of rest required and let that dictate the amount of work.

But my point is Neil is that someone new to driving wouldn’t necessarily know that.

Driveroneuk:
But my point is Neil is that someone new to driving wouldn’t necessarily know that.

Yes, given that the poster’s user name makes it obvious that he is not yet a truck driver, I do think some of the posts could have been less acerbic. He/She asked a perfectly reasonable question.

When I first decided to take up driving for a living I also looked for how many hours I would be allowed to work a day, the penny dropped eventually but it’s the natrual way to think when you start’
The strange thing is when I found out I still took up driving. :unamused:

So, I am now a bit confused, the OP asked how many hours he/she could WORK in a day and the consensus was to quote Coffee “simple math tells you what is left for working/duty time, 13 or 15 hours…”
Well that is wrong simply because you cannot work that many hours in any day due to break requirements, so once you have all got off your high horses maybe one of you will give him the actual amount of hours taking into account the WTD and drivers regulations. You have all presumed if you are not on a daily rest you can work for the rest of the time, and we all know that isn’t true!!!
Now all go back and read the question again and see if you can give the OP the answer to the question they asked :bulb:

jimti:
So, I am now a bit confused, the OP asked how many hours he/she could WORK in a day and the consensus was to quote Coffee “simple math tells you what is left for working/duty time, 13 or 15 hours…”
Well that is wrong …

Really? Did you not notice I put working/duty time to avoid that confusion and to clarify what I meant?

The guy is a new driver, or wants to be a driver, and although he used the term working time I think it is pretty obvious he meant the maximum period between starting work and finishing work, what is sometimes referred to as ‘spreadover’, and that is either 13 or 15 hours. Most people regard the amount they work as the time from start of shift until the end regardless of what the mode switch is set to during that time. Monday I started at 09:00 and finished at 18:00 and during that shift I was on break from 12:10 until 17:50 and if someone asked me how many hours I worked on Monday my answer is 9 hours, not 3.5 hours. For the WTD I had 3.5 hours of working time but I was still at work and got paid for 9 hours.

The answers your want are 12.25 hours and 14.25 hours but those are not the answers the OP is looking for and would just be even more confusing.

Coffeeholic:

jimti:
Well that is wrong …

Really? Did you not notice I put working/duty time to avoid that confusion and to clarify what I meant?

The guy is a new driver, or wants to be a driver, and although he used the term working time I think it is pretty obvious he meant the maximum period between starting work and finishing work, what is sometimes referred to as ‘spreadover’, and that is either 13 or 15 hours. Most people regard the amount they work as the time from start of shift until the end regardless of what the mode switch is set to during that time. Monday I started at 09:00 and finished at 18:00 and during that shift I was on break from 12:10 until 17:50 and if someone asked me how many hours I worked on Monday my answer is 9 hours, not 3.5 hours. For the WTD I had 3.5 hours of working time but I was still at work and got paid for 9 hours.

The answers your want are 12.25 hours and 14.25 hours but those are not the answers the OP is looking for and would just be even more confusing.

go on then, how do we get to those figures?
I wasn’t picking on you by the way, it just seemed that the guy asked a reasonable question as a non driver and some posts seemed to just want to have a pop at him for asking

Conor:
Indeed. If you’re not able to find it anywhere or work out what it is from the information presented to you then truck driving isn’t a job for you as it requires you to be able to actually think for yourself and find out things for yourself.

If you can’t do that, you’re going to spend a lot of time at home waiting for the phone to ring.

just curious, have you ever asked a question on trucknet? :question:
and if so why weren’t you able to actually just think for your self? :question:
If you have never asked a question do you already know it all? :unamused:
as I said, just curious :neutral_face:

Jesus, put your bloody hand bags away.

You can’t do 14.25 hours work either, because on a 15hr shift, you’d need more than just a 45 min break.

But, I’m 99.99999999999999999% sure that he meant start - finish hours, not actual working hours.

waynedl:
Jesus, put your bloody hand bags away.

You can’t do 14.25 hours work either, because on a 15hr shift, you’d need more than just a 45 min break.

But, I’m 99.99999999999999999% sure that he meant start - finish hours, not actual working hours.

Please explain why.

jimti:

Coffeeholic:

jimti:
Well that is wrong …

go on then, how do we get to those figures?

Depends if you count POA as being at work or not. If it is counted then you would need 45 minutes of break for each shift, assuming driving of more than 4.5 but less than 9 hours.

If their is no POA in those shifts then the figures change to 14 and 12 hours as there will be an extra 15 minutes break required for the WTD as their will be a second 6 hours of work in the shift.

jimti:
I wasn’t picking on you by the way,

I never for one minute thought you were.

jimti:
it just seemed that the guy asked a reasonable question as a non driver and some posts seemed to just want to have a pop at him for asking

Indeed.

Coffeeholic:
If their is no POA in those shifts then the figures change to 14 and 12 hours as there will be an extra 15 minutes break required for the WTD as their will be a second 6 hours of work in the shift.

Not necessarily. If the 45 is split into 15+30 correctly spaced then even without any POA you could do 14.25h of actual work in a 15h shift assuming the pattern of driving and other work allowed it.

Paul