Maximum weight on 6 axle artic

What’s the maximum weight you can run at with the mid lift raised and all 5 axles are below there maximum weights?

Depends on what setting the lift axle is set for

alix776:
Depends on what setting the lift axle is set for

Let’s assume it’s up regardless.

Think it’s 42 ton or 38. I really should know this. Oh well.

I’ll go with 38 for now.

Dipper_Dave:
I’ll go with 38 for now.

Bit small Dave? I thought you would have gone for 44’s :smiley:

3 axle truck plus 3 axle standart trailers =total 44 tonne.

40t? Am i missing something. Basically 5 axles weight, same as europe. 38t is 4 axles, ie 4x2 unit and a 2 axled trailer.

2 axle unit and tri-axle trailers are rated for 40 tonnes so I’d say it was that BUT the problem is weight distribution if the lift axle drops automatically. I ran out at around 32 tonnes the other night however most of the weight was at the front of the trailer as I was carrying granite worktops and fire doors at the front and kitchen cabinets at the rear and as soon as I hooked up and raised the trailer up to take the weight off the landing legs the lift axle dropped.

40 ton then, I was close.
Your all wrong it’s 44ton.

weeto:
What’s the maximum weight you can run at with the mid lift raised and all 5 axles are below there maximum weights?

I’d say 44t if not 40t

Definitely 44t I’ve cheated and looked it up. [FLUSHED FACE]

I would suggest there isn’t a reduced maximum GTW per se as the outfit will be plated and taxed to 44t.
As long as no individual axle is overloaded, you would be legit.

GCR2ERF:
I would suggest there isn’t a reduced maximum GTW per se as the outfit will be plated and taxed to 44t.
As long as no individual axle is overloaded, you would be legit.

+1. Never seen anything in writing to say that all wheels have to be in contact with the road.

So you can run at 44t with the lift axle up even thought the point of the lift axle is to spread the weight of the extra couple of tons compared to using a 4x2 unit and 3 axle trailer :laughing:

parkus:
So you can run at 44t with the lift axle up even thought the point of the lift axle is to spread the weight of the extra couple of tons compared to using a 4x2 unit and 3 axle trailer :laughing:

At 44t a typical artic axle weights are comprised of 24t for the trailer (3x8t), leaving a minimum of 20t capacity to be carried by the unit. If the drive axle is rated at 11.5t, this leaves a further 8.5t required - most front axles on a unit are rated at 7.1 or 7.5t, so a 3rd axle on the unit will required to go to 44t.

Concretejim:
40t? Am i missing something. Basically 5 axles weight, same as europe. 38t is 4 axles, ie 4x2 unit and a 2 axled trailer.

the rules are just stupidly confusing. 4 axle artic (4x2 pulling a twin axle trailer) 36ton (38 ton subject to no axle exceed 8.55 ton) so 4 x 8.55 = 34.2t
gov.uk/government/uploads/s … eights.pdf

44t is wrong because of the maximum axle weights on the plating certificate for the tractor unit. On a 4x2 they’re 7.1t max on the front and in the UK 13t on the drive axle. When its in 6x2 configuration its 7.5t on the front axle, 7.1t on the lift and 10.5t on the drive in the UK. Manufacturers may quote lower and some do on the front steering axle but those are the maximum legally allowed. Trailer axles on a tri-axle are 8t for each.

So the max is actually lower than a 4x2 because of the lower drive axle weight for a 6x2 running in 4x2 configuration.

Front axle will be rated at 7.5t max
Drive axle will be rated at 10.5t
3x8t for the trailer

Total = 41 tonnes.

I thought all lift axles dropped at certain weights anyway. Ours all do

midlifetrucker:
I thought all lift axles dropped at certain weights anyway. Ours all do

i think most do these days, but all at different weights, I had 9100kg on drive axle yesterday and the lift axle didnt drop.
Just something else that has been taken out of the drivers control over the years, i know that my loaded vehicle will be better with traction on wet slippery or snow covered roads with the lift axle up.