Maxed out hours

I think I know the answer but…if my hours are Maxed out but a colleague comes for me in a company vehicle (non hgv)and I drive company vehicle back that is illegal right? Just want my facts right because I can see this being an issue on the weeks to come

It depends which set of hours are maxed out.

If you’ve maxed your EU drivers hours (so hit 9 or 10 depending on availability) then you can still drive a non tacho vehicle back.

If you’ve maxed out on your working time (60hrs in a week) or daily spread over time (15hrs or 13hrs depending on used reductions) then no you cant because its time that needs to he accounted for as part of your working day.

toonsy:
It depends which set of hours are maxed out.

If you’ve maxed your EU drivers hours (so hit 9 or 10 depending on availability) then you can still drive a non tacho vehicle back.

If you’ve maxed out on your working time (60hrs in a week) or daily spread over time (15hrs or 13hrs depending on used reductions) then no you cant because its time that needs to he accounted for as part of your working day.

All correct.
If you are due to go on a daily, or weekly, rest period, you can’t even be a passenger.

You could legally drive the car to your home address. Or anyware you wish to go.
Just not to your place of work as it’s still classed as working.

edd1974:
You could legally drive the car to your home address. Or anyware you wish to go.

No.
If you normally work from a depot, and end your shift up the road somewhere, your shift ends when you return to that depot or to your home.
Imagine you start in Leicester and finish in Glasgow. You could be asked to catch a taxi home and be available for work just after you get home! Clearly wrong.
To add.
Nothing to legally prevent you driving a hire car all night long… but…

edd1974:

Not legally you can’t, where a driver travels to or from a vehicle that’s not at the drivers home or usual place of work the travelling time cannot be counted as rest.

Or maybe I was thinking. He can’t drive back to work as be classed as working.
But he can travel.back as a passenger and it’s not working.

edd1974:
Or maybe I was thinking. He can’t drive back to work as be classed as working.
But he can travel.back as a passenger and it’s not working.

You can take a 45 break in a passenger seat of a moving vehicle, but not daily or weekly rest.
(Except ferries and trains)

So I CAN drive a company vehicle back…10 hours Maxed out…I thought it was illegal

If it’s not recorded on your tacho then crack on if it’s a once in a blue moon thing and it means getting yourself home. Yes it’s technically illegal but hey ho. Don’t take the ■■■■ and if you did get pulled by DVSA in a company van or car (yeah like that’s actually going to happen) then just play dumb and they will just more than likely give you words of advice.

shullbit:
So I CAN drive a company vehicle back…10 hours Maxed out…I thought it was illegal

If you’ve done 10 hours driving in 13 hours duty time and you’ve got a 15 hour shift available to you then you can legal drive the van for 2 hours as long as your working time breaks are covered.

If you’ve done 6 hours driving in a 15 hour shift and your at 14 and a half hours into the shift you can only legally drive the van for 30 mins.

But as I said on my other response. If it’s once in a blue moon and your not taking the ■■■■ if it’s not recorded on tacho then ■■■■ it if you want to get back

Rowley010:

shullbit:

If you’ve done 10 hours driving in 13 hours duty time and you’ve got a 15 hour shift available to you then you can legal drive the van for 2 hours as long as your working time breaks are covered.

If you’ve done 6 hours driving in a 15 hour shift and your at 14 and a half hours into the shift you can only legally drive the van for 30 mins.

But as I said on my other response. If it’s once in a blue moon and your not taking the ■■■■ if it’s not recorded on tacho then [zb] it if you want to get back

Has someone broken into Rowley’s account?

Sit in lorry until tacho says you can drive again or jump in a van and go home, shouldn’t take more than a second to work out the preferable option and TBH who will know?

Mazzer2:
Sit in lorry until tacho says you can drive again or jump in a van and go home, shouldn’t take more than a second to work out the preferable option and TBH who will know?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^6
+1
winner… :slight_smile:

Franglais:

Rowley010:

shullbit:

But as I said on my other response. If it’s once in a blue moon and your not taking the ■■■■ if it’s not recorded on tacho then [zb] it if you want to get back

Has someone broken into Rowley’s account?

Hahahaha :laughing: :laughing:

dieseldog999:

Mazzer2:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^6
+1

Small comany, but of back-scratching? One thing.
Big company. Paid hourly off the card. No night out, so no night out money. Sit for an hour waiting for van to meet you, hour or two drive back, drive home. …
Take me all of second to say “No” under those conditions.

dieseldog999:

Mazzer2:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^6
+1

I want to know the legality because I want the choice

shullbit:
I want to know the legality because I want the choice

Legally:

• If you’re out of driving time you can only drive vehicles smaller than 3.5t.
  • If you’re out of working time you cannot legally be recovered in any vehicle or even travel back home or to base in any vehicle.

The only way round this is to make your own way home then start the next shift at the same place you ended the previous shift.

Having said that I’ve run out of working time and been recovered, no-ones going to know unless you tell them :wink:

Franglais:

dieseldog999:

Mazzer2:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^6
+1

Small comany, but of back-scratching? One thing.
Big company. Paid hourly off the card. No night out, so no night out money. Sit for an hour waiting for van to meet you, hour or two drive back, drive home. …
Take me all of second to say “No” under those conditions.

^^^^^^^^^^^
there is a logic to that if it was a big co.
small outfit,then play it by ear especially if it suits you and your getting a bung.

I work for smallish company.
Few weeks back on a Friday one our drivers ran out of
Driving hours in haydock were in Trafford park.
So manager took me up to him and I drove him and his truck back to base.
And as a thanks was given a bottle of 15yr old scotish malt whisky which am.saving for xmas.

As mentioned in precious posts depends. If it’s a once in a blue moon can’t see a problem.
But it’s happening regular then you need to know the legalities and stick to the rules