Maut tax in Germany

Hi. Can anyone tell me how the german maut tax works and how to pay it? Have not run to Germany for over 6 years and then it was the eurovignette. Still run to Belgium and Holland but some new german runs might be coming up. Can I pay with credit cards [DKV etc] or cash only now. I know it is based on the km’s you do, but that is all. Do you pay daily or border to border etc. :question:

TRY looking at the stickies on this site
and the useful tips site here onthe site
IF you are going to do Germany regularly
it is worth getting a OBU unit as this lets
you divert from the route without haveing
to rebook your route which you have to do
when useing the maschine at the borders
or garages, on the toll collect site isa list
where you can get the maut,

Hello niko. You can use dkv at the machines. Its handy to take a map with you when your booking because the machine will want to know where your entering and leaving the autobahn. Bear in mind that theres a time limit on your toll ticket too. Its been a few months since i went into germany so ill leave the rest to the regulars.
Good luck

Unfortunately I was there Friday … Pete, you forgot to mention how much it costs to have that bloody box fitted

unless you are doing multidrop and using the autobahns every week, forget the box.

Just get a maut map and pay by fuel card. Be aware of following the routes on the tickets as deviating will make your ticket invalid. This can happen more around the Ruhr as the maut decides your route.

TRY LOOKING HERE

AND also at this LINK
HOPE THIS CAN HELP

Remember these well and the members who have replied have supplied the details you need. Just remember to allow time at drops for delays, so that the ticket does not run out. Also get a list of the routes where the maut machine is situated.

This is a BIG Thanks to EVERYONE who has posted here with their tips and advice. I now have a better understanding of how this road tax works. GERMANY here I come…well maybe. :arrow_right:
Thank you all once again. :smiley:

Just a bit further info, if you see a BAG van parked, pop over and have a word, they have Toll Collect atlas’s which show where all the machines are [with the address and phone number] throughout Europe, and give the names of all the junctions. Ask nicely they’ll let you have a copy, got mine that way, and very useful it is too.

Here’s a MAUT machine, this one is designed to be outdoors, but the majority are inside.

They are pretty self explanatory with instructions in English…but it always confused me when you went to the payment part the instructions were in German. Has that changed or is it still the same?

You press the union jack and the instructions are in English.
The instructions on the pay part are in German insert card etc.
Remember to wait for two tickets one is your receipt and the other proof of tax.

Having never driven in Germany i was curious to know what happens if
your time runs out on your ticket if there was an accident or bad weather,
something that could cause you to take alot longer to cover a certain
distance than you thought ? if it wasnt your fault would you still get fined ■■
as that seems a bit harsh ?

normally the germans will be very strict,but in case
of an accident,you would need to go to the next service/autohof.
if the police stopped you in the area,they would be aware of the traffic problems.
i couldnt see them doing you in this case.
if they did,then its time to start going to the german embassy to get this sorted out…
with regard to the maut maching and your routing,its essential to have a good map or preferably the maut book,you can designate your own route to your preferences.
you do have to go by the route indicated on your ticket though.
i dont know how true this is,but i heard the maut atlases are selling on ebay for a tenner,i never looked my self.i will go now and tell you soon if i can find them.

Cheers Greg,sounds like you really have to know your way round germany
not to come unstuck,i suppose if you do it regular its ok but if you were
doing your first trip you would have to be careful!

greg50:
i dont know how true this is,but i heard the maut atlases are selling on ebay for a tenner,i never looked my self.i will go now and tell you soon if i can find them.

I do hope it’s true, I have 6 or 7 of them. :wink: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

i just looked on ebay.
i couldnt see any.
coffee.
why not put them on and see what happens.
they are essential in germany.
i mind mine and will not let it out of my sight
although i am not out in europe at the moment,but that could change if the right offer comes along,
better not let the missus see me writing this.

DEANB:
Cheers Greg,sounds like you really have to know your way round germany
not to come unstuck,i suppose if you do it regular its ok but if you were
doing your first trip you would have to be careful!

what i always do.
see where i am going to on the machine.
its a finger touch screen.
also find the nearest service areas to the delivery spot.
buy a maut to the destination,
if it a long way away,but one for 4 hrs driving and get another as you get closer.
germany can be like the uk with traffic jams.
also buy one to get back up on the autobahn to the service area.
a biy difficult if you dont know what time the factiory closes at.
germany closes early.
i would allow time for delivery depending on how far off the autobahn you are going,or if you think you will get tipped the same day.
theres not many english speaking drivers there now,but hope if you need you might meet a dutchman or a norwegian,most of these speak english.
theres ahelp botton on the maut maching as well,but they take ages to answer,they do speak english.
let it keep ringing if you need them.
when the tickets are given out,it takes ages,and dont forget to get 2 of them.
have patience.
i hope you understand what i am saying,if you need any help pm me with your phone number and i will explain it to you.

try THIS

OR HERE

AND ALSO THIS

the above selection of links should help you out, all have
ENGLISH translation capabilitys and they are good sites

Just a little hint for you.

Once you have entered all your details and the machine requests that you insert the Fuel Card (DKV in my case) put the card in the slot then listen for two “little clicks” once youve heard em, remove the card.

I know it might sound daft but the damned things never worked for me until I was told about the clicks - then you press the “Absteilung” button - well its something like that anyway! And the machine will dispense the toll cards.