Marshalls Falkirk/Carluke

Hi Folks,
Replied to a ad by TenLive agency looking for a C+E Hi-ab driver… (Hi-ab not essential) for a 13 week temp to perm position for Marshalls

Looking for a bit of info on Marshalls, they do the brick and block, cement type work, What they are like to work with, Is it artics or w&d, Is it all building site work or is there delivering to builders merchants yards? Don’t know anything about this side of the game as I’ve only done cages and pallets up and down a tail lift since becoming a driver

Pay seems good, and the Falkirk depot is near my house, Any and all info would be appreciated :smiley:

Thanks Guys :grimacing:

I think they have a mixture of wagon and drag and tractor trailer ,though mainly wagon and drag if my memory serves me correct.Mainly DAF105 and some Merc…

AFAIK. a mixed fleet but mostly artics. Work is a mix of sites and builders yards. Drivers eem to stick so must be fairly decent terms and cond. A union organised outfit so that brings decents Tand C’ s also.
My knowledge is based on Halifax depot but assume that the same aplies to other depots.
plenty of work with the on coming boom in house building etc.

Thanks guys :smiley:

A guy at my work told me it may not actually be Marshalls, it could also be Buildbase as they also have depots in these two locations :open_mouth: Although I’ve never seen a Buildbase C+E vehicle… Any info on Buildbase?

G6Bob:

A guy at my work told me it may not actually be Marshalls, it could also be Buildbase as they also have depots in these two locations :open_mouth: Although I’ve never seen a Buildbase C+E vehicle… Any info on Buildbase?

The buildbase yard is in the Carron area of Falkirk. Didn’t think marshalls and them were part of the same company though.

damoq:

G6Bob:

The buildbase yard is in the Carron area of Falkirk. Didn’t think marshalls and them were part of the same company though.

Well they might not be, When they said Falkirk and Carluke I done a quick google to see who had yards in both them and Marshalls came up, so silly me I assumed it was for Marshalls. Mate at work mentioned Buildbase had a depot in Carron…

marshalls.co.uk/homeowners/b … re/carluke

Listed on the Marshalls website as being a “Buildbase Stockist” what ever that means.

Just had a email back for the agency offering me other work in the Lanarkshire area… so the job might have been a dangling hook :blush:

You will be telling us that you dont trust agencies next. :smiley:

Buildbase have DAF and Iveco rigids and a few with rear steer

May be wrong but is it not Craigs of Bonnybridge/Denny/the old Rechem site that do Marshalls work oot ae falkirk.
If it is then I have not worked for them personally but do know they seemed very good tae work for. Decent kit ran by a very good gaffer.

rocketsquadron:
May be wrong but is it not Craigs of Bonnybridge/Denny/the old Rechem site that do Marshalls work oot ae falkirk.
If it is then I have not worked for them personally but do know they seemed very good tae work for. Decent kit ran by a very good gaffer.

Really don’t know mate, but Craigs of Denny are 5 mins from my house, I’d love a job with them as I hear good things about them. I’m trying to schedule my Hi-ab course sometime in the next 2-3 weeks, when I get it I’ll be sending Craigs a CV.

alamcculloch:
You will be telling us that you dont trust agencies next. :smiley:

Well, two years ago I replied to a advert looking for tipper drivers out of Coatbridge, the ad was posted that morning, so I called up asking about the tippers… “Sorry, all the tipper work has dried up… fancy a shift in the Co-op?” lol

Aye, they are lovely people.

I used to do agency work for them at Halifax.

I can’t say on here what I really think, but only in relation to Halifax…

Ken.

Hi,Marshalls were looking for a C+E driver recently but the sign in the reception said it was for hiab.
Build base is part of the Grafton group and have no connection at all with Marshalls.
Build base do have depots in Falkirk(Carron) and Law (the old Davies builders merchant) .
Marshalls at Falkirk have Daf xf and Volvo fh units plus some Daf cf wagon and drags.

Build base use Iveco Stralis 6x2 rigids and still have some old Daf cf kicking about as well.

Duncan

Dunky123:
Hi,Marshalls were looking for a C+E driver recently but the sign in the reception said it was for hiab.
Build base is part of the Grafton group and have no connection at all with Marshalls.
Build base do have depots in Falkirk(Carron) and Law (the old Davies builders merchant) .
Marshalls at Falkirk have Daf xf and Volvo fh units plus some Daf cf wagon and drags.

Build base use Iveco Stralis 6x2 rigids and still have some old Daf cf kicking about as well.

Duncan

Thanks for the info mate, Not heard anything back from the agency and gave Ritchies a call this morning to price up a Hi-ab course…£880 :astonished: was only expecting to pay 500-600 quid :blush:

looks like I’m stuck where I am for a bit longer :frowning: Just chucking it and going agency with my fingers crossed is looking more and more appealing by the day :stuck_out_tongue:

Hi mate, Ctts in Bathgate do a 3 day beginners course for £550
If your going down the builders merchant route make sure you get a course that covers you for brick grab,hook and remote.

You could try Travis Perkins or Jewsons as they have been known to take on drivers and put them through the crane course.

Duncan

Dunky123:
Hi mate, Ctts in Bathgate do a 3 day beginners course for £550
If your going down the builders merchant route make sure you get a course that covers you for brick grab,hook and remote.

You could try Travis Perkins or Jewsons as they have been known to take on drivers and put them through the crane course.

Duncan

Well Jewsons have a depot in Airdrie, I know of Beatsons building supplies in ■■■■■■■■■■■ and McNairs in Kirkintillock who all do that type of grab work. Where are TP based?

I can put you in touch with someone who I work with. I accepted 3 days with a client in Newbridge thinking it was curtainsider work but I was sent out solo to pick up a loaded flatbed delivering to builders merchants. The job is in Newbridge but its £12 per hour. It isn’t the type of work I do and the client is looking for someone to do the work. They dont like the guy they have

scanny77:
I can put you in touch with someone who I work with. I accepted 3 days with a client in Newbridge thinking it was curtainsider work but I was sent out solo to pick up a loaded flatbed delivering to builders merchants. The job is in Newbridge but its £12 per hour. It isn’t the type of work I do and the client is looking for someone to do the work. They dont like the guy they have

Thanks mate, but Newbridge is a bit far out for me. Currently travelling from Kilsyth to Larkhall and it does my head in, looking for something a bit closer to home.

A question you might be able to help me with, I’ve read you other posts that your a agency driver, I was thinking of going agency self employed… If I did this, would I be able to claim back Hi-ab / ADR training costs?

Yes you can. They are certified so you will get a receipt just like the DCPC. I paid for them myself and claimed them as a business expense. HIAB should also qualify for some of your DCPC too as it is training related to the job

Hi mate.not sure about ■■■■■■■■■■■ but Travis have a yard at Bishopbriggs ( the old Briggs building supplies).
Mcnairs have a big fleet from 7.5 ton box vans right upto 44 ton Volvo fm units that pull hiab and tipper trailers.
Mcnairs have quite a few curtainsiders as well.

Duncan