Market research

Hi All
was wondering if you could give me some feedback on an item we are bringing to the UK market - Cargo Strap Pitcher, if you put that in as a search on youtube, it will show you a short clip of how it operates.
basically in the clip we are strapping a vehicle ready to be loaded.
it also works on an already loaded vehicle, no need to get your ratchet straps though the eye of a needle with the pitcher goes were you want it.
let me know what you think, cheers look forward to your thoughts :slight_smile:

I hope you haven’t put a lot of money into it, can’t see much demand for this. I can think of times when I’ve had some trouble trying to get straps across a load and can’t see that this would have helped much. Out of curiousity what do you hope to retail this at?

The bloke throws like a girl :laughing:
Im sure it would be better to learn from another driver how to throw properly :bulb:

i appreciate the clip is not that detailed, but how many times have you had to get on the platform and make sure that the strap is in the right position, or untwist it, even strap double deckers, you can do all this from the ground.
not sure what to market it at?

bubsy06:
The bloke throws like a girl :laughing:
Im sure it would be better to learn from another driver how to throw properly :bulb:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M11I7AWi7Ro

just think about this logically, how many drivers start there career and go straight on to a job and have never even put a strap together, this was developed in Sweden were all drivers have to be taught how to load vehicles securely and safely

howhud:
not sure what to market it at?

Really :question: :question: you hve made this & are not sure who / to market it at :question:

all well and good throwing it over a truck,but if you have to aim at that foot gap between load and roof on a curtainsider,will this really help, i suspect the strap will still get stuck someway over the load,and you will still need to re- roll it and start again.

maybe some more clips showing all loading points,and windy/wet.

good idea IF you get it going.

we know who to market it at, people who can spell and know where they live would help ha ha :laughing:

it is basically along the line of what you use to chuck a ball (dog) you get the leverage and you can make any hole as long as it will take the size of ratchet rolled up, it come with different attachments so you can straighten straps etc
as you say it come into its own when conditions are bad and the load is large and awkward.

BIG MAC:
all well and good throwing it over a truck,but if you have to aim at that foot gap between load and roof on a curtainsider,will this really help, i suspect the strap will still get stuck someway over the load,and you will still need to re- roll it and start again.

maybe some more clips showing all loading points,and windy/wet.

good idea IF you get it going.

You will get some H&S pleb who refuses to let you use it, or it will become tangled in some cables or it will get nicked, sorry boss. I cant fasten this load on because my casting rod is missing / broken.

The point about the foot gap or less is a good one and the easiest way is with a stepladder or a safety cage.

Like all gadgets, it will have a limited use and be invaluable, much like a roof pole on a Euroliner. If you don’t have one you use a tilt board or a sweeping brush.

First off, I like your enthusiasm and interest in getting something off the ground that could help solve a traditional problem.

But there are a couple of problems that I could imagine.

A.) I can’t see drivers buying this, because they don’t earn enough and probably don’t want to be seen as anything other than rough/tough/macho, he-man, “don’t-need-no-help” truckers, and I can’t see bosses/TM’s buying them because of the cost and potential for loss/theft/damage.

B.) That loss/theft/damage problem. Whilst I understand the need for it to be modular, the loss or damage of any one component means it’s effectively useless… and whilst working in an industry where so many trailer number plates are simply forgotten, or damaged, I don’t have a lot of faith that this, or a part of it, won’t also get lost or damaged.

That said, maybe if it was combined with a brush head to wash the topmost parts of your unit, and another brush head to sweep the trailer floor, and made from a virtually indestructible material you might get more buyers. (But then again you’re making it a more thievable proposition!)

But hey, what do I know?

Would I buy one? No!

I could see it useful for some people, I don’t use straps in my job but would find it hard to throw a strap any height since I broke my shoulder, but as others have posted theft is a problem, I couldn’t leave a pen in my truck!

Absolutely mega lol. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Take that in to any wooden pallet yard in the land and you will have blokes falling on the floor laughing their nuts off.

No offence.

That driver trying to throw the strap over should also be put forward for the tv programme in the other thread, “worlds toughest truck drivers” as the UK’s entrant. We’d walk it for sure. :laughing:

Silver_Surfer:
Absolutely mega lol. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Take that in to any wooden pallet yard in the land and you will have blokes falling on the floor laughing their nuts off.

No offence.

That driver trying to throw the strap over should also be put forward for the tv programme in the other thread, “worlds toughest truck drivers” as the UK’s entrant. We’d walk it for sure. :laughing:

Why would it be funny if it helped someone to throw straps over who couldn’t normally do it because of an injury disability etc.

i`m out :laughing: :laughing:

To be honest…
that video is not realistic at all, and shows a problem that doesnt exist, anyone with an ounce of sense would stand away from the truck to throw the strap over the roof.

I think you have designed and created a brilliant answer to a problem that simply doesnt exist.
In my honest opinion your market is tiny at best or non existant in reality

sorry to be blunt, but if there is a market for this I will eat my hat

What can i say i appreciate your enthusiasm

And it’s nice to see someone taking an interest but really in the uk :question:

We invented ropeing an sheeting and it is a fine art If i got that out in the yard in this country i would get flogged and just so :grimacing:

I think your Market research has got that wrong, Also if i was to throw a strap like that i would give up and go an drive a coach for a living as i wouldn’t have the balls to call myself a truck driver :slight_smile:

If it doesn’t make money, then the boss won’t buy it, and I for one will spend as little as possible on my job.

exmayor:
… if i was to throw a strap like that i would give up …

Agreed mate, I was going to write something very similar.

:open_mouth: Surely, that throwing as shown on the vid isn’t from the real world… is it? :bulb:

exmayor:
… and go an drive a coach for a living as i wouldn’t have the balls to call myself a truck driver :slight_smile:

Walks away whistling… :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

why would you stand in the trailer to try to throw a strap over the roof■■?
anyhow, i agree 100% with Rikki.
By the time youve got all the kit out and set it up, you would have thrown it over.
Its not for me, sorry.

If I was marketing that product the first thing I’d do would be to use the Cargo Strap Pitcher be to pitch the video … straight into the bin :wink:

The bloke throwing the strap in the video wasn’t at all convincing, I’ve rarely if ever seen such a pathetic attempt at throwing a strap :unamused:

Exaggerating a problem for marketing purposes is one thing but that bloke throwing the strap was amusing not to mention the fact that he threw like a girl :stuck_out_tongue: :laughing:

The telescopic pole and hook attachment could be useful on occasions for repositioning straps or pulling the end of the pelmet over the curtain on a curtain-sider amongst other things, but the pitcher attachment isn’t something I’d bother with even if the boss paid for it, I just don’t see the need for it and in a real world situation I suspect it could present more problems than it solves and take much longer to do the job.