Marker lights

Picked up a trailer yesterday evening (it was still light) for a small company I’m doing some work for.

Four marker lights (led) were out on the near side, the fifth rearmost one was on. Reported it to duty manager, who tried to get me to check fuses…(but one of the lights is still on) duh!

checked for a break in the wire to no avail.

Duty manager said the under 1979 regs (and sounded like he was quoting from them) rule 1769 says if the trailer was booked as to be fixed, and AS I had reported it to him and he was arraging it to be fixed, then it was OK to continue!!!

I find this very strange and don’t believe it, but being the sort that likes to get a job done and understanding how tight everything is for hauliers I weighed up the risk of being stopped (I was out in the fens) against the available daylight. and ran back to base with the trailer anyway (it was dark when I got back)

Can this be right? and if it is, to what lights or things does it apply too.

Any proper CPC’ holders or Vosa bods help me out with this one, even point me at the regs. Cos I reckon with this guys attitude Its going to happen again during the night!!!

I smell a healthy dose of [zb]! :laughing: Does that mean if I have no brakes, but the duty manager has arranged for them to be fixed, I can take the vehicle out on the road? I Think not! :confused:

truckerjon:
I smell a healthy dose of bllsht! :laughing: Does that mean if I have no brakes, but the duty manager has arranged for them to be fixed, I can take the vehicle out on the road? I Think not! :confused:

No I’m talking specifically about the marker lights (or shall we say non not necessary essential■■? running gear faults■■?) or any other fault that may be in the regs, that they mention can be rectified later. I should ad that the marker leds are the reflector variety as there are regulations about reflectors too.

It strikes me that marker lights are safety, so they should be working where fitted, but he was quoting something from something■■?

The smell of B/S only complimented the small of cigarette smoke in the cab, which went down well with the grease of the suzies! :slight_smile:

I fear I may not be working for this lot too long, but I need a regular gig

jim

As I understand the law, and i may be wrong, any defective lighting would invalidate the MOT of the vehicle, thus making it illegal to use on the public highway,unless it is being transported directly to a place for repair.
I’m sure someone will either verify this or tell me I’m the one talking BS! :confused: Personally I wouldn’t take any truck on the road unless to the best of my knowledge, it was fully road worthy. Suppose you stopped in a traffic queue at a crossroads in the dark, with 4 marker lights out, someone approaching at speed might think the road is clear and drive straight underneath you. And yes I know it has happened!
you could try the same game of BS as him, tell him under the 1983 (Use & constuction) amendment to the 1979 regs section 46, subsection 3 c, it became an offence to take any vehicles with defective lighting onto the public highway :slight_smile: Tell him its a £2500 fine for his company for esch light!

its a bulb/led gone out/not working. its only one. its been defected but it will not impede the safe running of said trailor. all that needs to happen is fault is rectified at first opportunity, you can run with it (sorry vosa but on pre checks it worked so prove me wrong) but you do need a valid defect sheet AFTER you have finished with trailor . its not a life and death issue as in brakes etc its a common sense approach :unamused:
bout time some common sense was used with all you younger drivers, not everything is a nono for running it :unamused: if it seems/is dangerous then dont but a bulb is def not in that cat.

truckerjon:
As I understand the law, and i may be wrong, any defective lighting would invalidate the MOT of the vehicle, thus making it illegal to use on the public highway,unless it is being transported directly to a place for repair.
I’m sure someone will either verify this or tell me I’m the one talking BS! :confused: Personally I wouldn’t take any truck on the road unless to the best of my knowledge, it was fully road worthy. Suppose you stopped in a traffic queue at a crossroads in the dark, with 4 marker lights out, someone approaching at speed might think the road is clear and drive straight underneath you. And yes I know it has happened!
you could try the same game of BS as him, tell him under the 1983 (Use & constuction) amendment to the 1979 regs section 46, subsection 3 c, it became an offence to take any vehicles with defective lighting onto the public highway :slight_smile: Tell him its a £2500 fine for his company for esch light!

Yes I understand what your saying, and don’t disagree with you, apart from nor being stupid enough to get stopped across a junction in the dark.

I’m hoping for a knowledgeable person with access to the regulations to assist me here Making up regs means that BS+BS= BS doesn’t smell of roses

But BS v’s knowledge= shut up and don’t try it on again, if you see what I mean

Plus if they try force it or other on me again I might be going to vosa and I want to be absolutely right, but I don’t want to be to obstuctive or unreasonable either. After all were all trying to get the job done

Cheers

Jim

Yes I should add Getz, that I wrote on my biff bang sheet , that the leds(it was four) had been notified to duty manager and that I was booked in for a fix asap according to the duty manager.

I suspect (it was my 2nd night) that this company might not give a hoot!, but I shall wait and see.

The trailer was ok the previous night tho, so I suspect a break in the wire. But knowing trucking and the little ■■■■■ that surround it, Its also my licence. Its saya a lot when your scared of a broken bulb!!!

In the meantime, is there any mention in regulations about this sort of thing, I wonder

Jim

jcfd55:
Yes I should add Getz, that I wrote on my biff bang sheet , that the leds(it was four) had been notified to duty manager and that I was booked in for a fix asap according to the duty manager.

I suspect (it was my 2nd night) that this company might not give a hoot!, but I shall wait and see.

The trailer was ok the previous night tho, so I suspect a break in the wire. But knowing trucking and the little [zb] that surround it, Its also my licence. Its saya a lot when your scared of a broken bulb!!!

In the meantime, is there any mention in regulations about this sort of thing, I wonder

Jim

sorry for any misunderstanding, best bet is to fill out defect report sheet, get it signed or if they wont sign it make appropriate comment yourself as in (tranport office refused to sign) and sign and date it yourself THEN PHOTOCOPY IT.
Covers your arse. :smiley:

Could the back one have been wired in with the rear sidelights and yes maybe a fuse?

Sorry if this was already mentioned but I havn’t read all the posts!

gezt:
its a bulb/led gone out/not working. its only one. its been defected but it will not impede the safe running of said trailor. all that needs to happen is fault is rectified at first opportunity, you can run with it (sorry vosa but on pre checks it worked so prove me wrong) but you do need a valid defect sheet AFTER you have finished with trailor . its not a life and death issue as in brakes etc its a common sense approach :unamused:
bout time some common sense was used with all you younger drivers, not everything is a nono for running it :unamused: if it seems/is dangerous then dont but a bulb is def not in that cat.

Young driver!!! :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:
But even a single light out is enough for VOSA to pull you for a check. In the “good old days” I would agree with you, blimey I’ve run with a lot worse than a light out in the past, but with all the new fines, checks and laws i don’t take any chances, after all its my licence.

gezt:

jcfd55:

The trailer was ok the previous night tho, so I suspect a break in the wire. But knowing trucking and the little [zb] that surround it, Its also my licence. Its saya a lot when your scared of a broken bulb!!!

Jim

sorry for any misunderstanding, best bet is to fill out defect report sheet, get it signed or if they wont sign it make appropriate comment yourself as in (tranport office refused to sign) and sign and date it yourself THEN PHOTOCOPY IT.

So then when you get stopped down the road you have provided documentary evidence that the vehicle was unroadworthy when you left the yard with it and removed your only defence of “it was working when I checked last” although the chances of four markers going in such a short space of time are slim to none. I would also have checked the fuses just to rule it out.

If a light is out, the truck/trailer doesnt go out (on the road) If theres ANY fault, fix it, or trans-ship the load if it cant be fixed PDQ.
Its your licence & you wholl get hung out to dry if you get pulled by VOSA etc, dont allow anyone to BS you & try to convince you that a minor fault is ok to use a vehicle on the road. unless EVERYTHING is working ok, stand your ground until its safe & legal.

I had a similar situ yesturday when I picked up a loaded trailer and found 2 broken curtain hangers, luckily the fitter was still on site, and 20 mins later it was sorted

The chances of 4 bulbs going at the same time are pretty remote.Four LEDs failing simultaneously would IMO have the same odds as winning the lottery 4 weeks running.I would think that it would be a severe case of moulditis in a junction box on the trailer.Don’t let them make you risk your licence although work’s pretty thin at the mo. Legality wise,I’d agree with the previous comments.

with lighting, it is a simple answer.
all lights that are attached to the vehicle and trailer must work. no if’s or but’s.

this would include lights that are not factory fitted as well as factory fitted.
so lets say you was driving one of those christmas tree trucks with so many lights, you can’t see the paintwork, then you must have every one of them in working order.

tofer:

gezt:

jcfd55:

Jim

So then when you get stopped down the road you have provided documentary evidence that the vehicle was unroadworthy when you left the yard with it and removed your only defence of “it was working when I checked last” although the chances of four markers going in such a short space of time are slim to none. I would also have checked the fuses just to rule it out.

no it just covers your arse with the boss so they cant say you didnt defect a minor
as said common sense rules :unamused:

you would be better off writing in your defect book “no defects”.
then when you get pulled, it has of course just happened. that’s arse covering.
but i wouldn’t write one out with defects, then set off. that’s your arse getting pounded, very deep indeed. without lubrication.
which makes me think.
did you check your oil?

limeyphil:
all lights that are attached to the vehicle and trailer must work. no if’s or but’s.

this would include lights that are not factory fitted as well as factory fitted.
so lets say you was driving one of those christmas tree trucks with so many lights, you can’t see the paintwork, then you must have every one of them in working order.

correct phil !

I own an old coach and some years ago when it was in service it was stopped at a chekpoint at 0945 hrs. When inspected by the Vehicle Inspectorate, now VOSA, it was found that one of the interior lights was not working and a notice was issued. The other 31 lights were working.

VOSA will use every opportunity to increase their revenue. Don’t assist them.

search for road vehicles lighting regulations 1989 and you will find all the info you need,

sounds like a dodgy electric suzie/ wiring fault

hope this helps

mark h:

limeyphil:

correct phil !

I disagree. All statutary lighting must work, any auxillary lighting does not need to.

Working on the above theory, you lads will be getting parked up for having a reversing light that doesn’t work!