Marker lights

weewulliewinkie:
search for road vehicles lighting regulations 1989 and you will find all the info you need,

sounds like a dodgy electric suzie/ wiring fault

hope this helps

Thanks for all the suggestions and thanks weewullie, I had been googling all sorts of searches and this was just not popping up for me

At least armed with this information ,I can now say. "My dear chap, I think you may be mistaken. I believe you may have accidently overlooked The road vehicles lighting regulations 1989 Part III the maintenance section where it says "No person shall permit to be used etc etc, If your sure its ok then “would you like to send me a text with your name on it permitting me to use it, so we both share the responsibilty, or shall we just get it fixed right now” :slight_smile:

Its interesting to read the regs and interesting to note there are some exceptions too. Plus almost every vechile parked up at night seems to breaking the law, so how can a part of the law be applied to us but not others? (or have I got carried away)

copied a bit below fyi (and its a longish read)

PART III

REGULATIONS GOVERNING THE MAINTENANCE AND USE OF LAMPS, REFLECTORS, REAR MARKINGS AND DEVICES
Maintenance of lamps, reflectors, rear markings and devices
23.–(1) No person shall use, or cause or permit to be used, on a road a vehicle unless every lamp, reflector, rear marking and device to which this paragraph applies is in good working order and, in the case of a lamp, clean.

(2) Save as provided in paragraph (3), paragraph (1) applies to-

(a) every-

(i) front position lamp,

(ii) rear position lamp,

(iii) headlamp,

(iv) rear registration plate lamp,

(v) side marker lamp,

(vi) end-outline marker lamp,

(vii) rear fog lamp,

(viii) retro reflector, and

(ix) rear marking of a type specified in Part I of Section B of Schedule 19,
with which the vehicle is required by these Regulations to be fitted; and

(b) every-

(i) stop lamp,

(ii) direction indicator,

(iii) running lamp,

(iv) dim-dip device,

(v) headlamp levelling device, and

(vi) hazard warning signal device,
with which it is fitted.

(3) Paragraph (2) does not apply to-

(a) a rear fog lamp on a vehicle which is part of a combination of vehicles any part of which is not required by these Regulations to be fitted with a rear fog lamp;

(b) a rear fog lamp on a motor vehicle drawing a trailer;

(c) a defective lamp, reflector, dim-dip device or headlamp levelling device on a vehicle in use on a road between sunrise and sunset, if any such lamp, reflector or device became defective during the journey which is in progress or if arrangements have been made to remedy the defect with all reasonable expedition; or

(d) a lamp, reflector, dim-dip device, headlamp levelling device or rear marking on a combat vehicle in use on a road between sunrise and sunset.

Requirements about the use of front and rear position lamps, rear registration plate lamps, side marker lamps and end-outline marker lamps
24.–(1) Save as provided in paragraphs (5) and (9), no person shall-

(a) use, or cause or permit to be used, on a road any vehicle which is in motion-

(i) between sunset and sunrise, or

(ii) in seriously reduced visibility between sunrise and sunset; or

(b) allow to remain at rest, or cause or permit to be allowed to remain at rest, on a road any vehicle between sunset and sunrise
unless every front position lamp, rear position lamp, rear registration plate lamp, side marker lamp and end-outline marker lamp with which the vehicle is required by these Regulations to be fitted is kept lit and unobscured.

(2) Save as provided in paragraphs (5) and (9), where a solo motor bicycle is not fitted with a front position lamp, no person shall use it, or cause or permit it to be used, on a road (other than when it is parked) between sunset and sunrise or in seriously reduced visibility between sunrise and sunset, unless a headlamp is kept lit and unobscured.

(3) Save as provided in paragraphs (5) and (9), no person shall allow to remain parked, or cause or permit to be allowed to remain parked between sunset and sunrise-

(a) a motor bicycle combination which is required to be fitted only with a front position lamp on the sidecar; or

(b) a trailer to the front of which no other vehicle is attached and which is not required to be fitted with front position lamps,
unless a pair of front position lamps is fitted and kept lit and unobscured.

(4) Save as provided in paragraphs (5) and (9), no person shall allow to remain parked, or cause or permit to be allowed to remain parked between sunset and sunrise a solo motor bicycle which is not required to be fitted with a front position lamp, unless a front position lamp is fitted and kept lit and unobscured.

(5) Paragraphs (1), (2), (3) and (4) shall not apply in respect of a vehicle of a class specified in paragraph (7) which is parked on a road on which a speed limit of 30 mph or less is in force and the vehicle is parked-

(a) in a parking place for which provision is made under section 6, or which is authorised under section 32 or designated under section 45 of the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984, or which is set apart as a parking place under some other enactment or instrument and the vehicle is parked in a manner which does not contravene the provision of any enactment or instrument relating to the parking place; or

(b) in a lay-by-

(i) the limits of which are indicated by a traffic sign consisting of the road marking shown in diagram 1010 in Schedule 2 of the Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions 1981[18]; or

(ii) the surface of which is of a colour or texture which is different from that of the part of the carriageway of the road used primarily by through traffic; or

(iii) the limits of which are indicated by a continuous strip of surface of a different colour or texture from that of the surface of the remainder of the carriageway of the road; or

(c) elsewhere than in such a parking place or lay-by if-

(i) the vehicle is parked in one of the circumstances described in paragraph (8); and

(ii) no part of the vehicle is less than 10 m from the junction of any part of the carriageway of any road with the carriageway of the road on which it is parked whether that junction is on the same side of the road as that on which the vehicle is parked or not.

(6) Sub-paragraph (5)(c)(ii) shall be construed in accordance with the diagram in Schedule 22.

(7) The classes of vehicle referred to in paragraph (5) are-

(a) a motor vehicle being a goods vehicle the unladen weight of which does not exceed 1525 kg;

(b) a passenger vehicle other than a bus;

(c) an invalid carriage; and

(d) a motor cycle or a pedal cycle in either case with or without a sidecar;
not being-

(i) a vehicle to which a trailer is attached;

(ii) a vehicle which is required to be fitted with lamps by regulation 21; or

(iii) a vehicle carrying a load, if the load is required to be fitted with lamps by regulation 21.

(8) The circumstances referred to in paragraph (5)(c) are that-

(a) the vehicle is parked on a road on which the driving of vehicles otherwise than in one direction is prohibited at all times and its left or near side is as close as may be and parallel to the left-hand edge of the carriageway or its right or off side is as close as may be and parallel to the right-hand edge of the carriageway; or

(b) the vehicle is parked on a road on which such a prohibition does not exist and its left or near side is as close as may be and parallel to the edge of the carriageway.

(9) Paragraphs (1), (2), (3) and (4) do not apply in respect of-

(a) a solo motor bicycle or a pedal cycle being pushed along the left-hand edge of a carriageway;

(b) a pedal cycle waiting to proceed provided it is kept to the left-hand or near side edge of a carriageway; or

(c) a vehicle which is parked in an area on part of a highway on which roadworks are being carried out and which is bounded by amber lamps and other traffic signs so as to prevent the presence of the vehicle, its load or equipment being a danger to persons using the road.

Driveroneuk:

mark h:

limeyphil:
with lighting, it is a simple answer.
all lights that are attached to the vehicle and trailer must work. no if’s or but’s.

this would include lights that are not factory fitted as well as factory fitted.
so lets say you was driving one of those christmas tree trucks with so many lights, you can’t see the paintwork, then you must have every one of them in working order.

correct phil !

I disagree. All statutary lighting must work, any auxillary lighting does not need to.

Working on the above theory, you lads will be getting parked up for having a reversing light that doesn’t work!

Driverone is correct, you can run with as many broken “fairy” lights out as you wish as long as the vehicle conforms to the lighting regulations, you cannot be penalised for an inoperative light that is not a legal requirement.

Its interesting to read the regs and interesting to note there are some exceptions too. Plus almost every vechile parked up at night seems to breaking the law, so how can a part of the law be applied to us but not others? (or have I got carried away)

No time just now to read all those regs., but guess you’re refering to trucks parked during the hours of darkness in lay-bys and on industrial estates?

They should be lit but Police generally hvave better things to do. Same as you see 1000’s of cars parked on the wrong side of the road facing against traffic flow at night & nobody bothers.

My biggest peeve is people parking temporarily on the wrong side with headlights left on. i.e. taxis dropping off.

Thank you AF1 :slight_smile:

And guess what?

I get allocated the same trailor this evening and told they have 7days to fix it

explain and quote new found regs offer to share night in newgate prison
and now lights fixed :slight_smile:

just where are they getting info from?

Jim

waddy640:
I own an old coach and some years ago when it was in service it was stopped at a chekpoint at 0945 hrs. When inspected by the Vehicle Inspectorate, now VOSA, it was found that one of the interior lights was not working and a notice was issued. The other 31 lights were working.

VOSA will use every opportunity to increase their revenue. Don’t assist them.

What lights? rack lights? main interior lights? I used to put them through annual test with more than 1 interior light out, some we couldn’t get the parts for and at annual test they are stricter than roadside!

As for increasing revenue LOL

Driveroneuk:

mark h:

limeyphil:
all lights that are attached to the vehicle and trailer must work. no if’s or but’s.

this would include lights that are not factory fitted as well as factory fitted.
so lets say you was driving one of those christmas tree trucks with so many lights, you can’t see the paintwork, then you must have every one of them in working order.

correct phil !

I disagree. All statutary lighting must work, any auxillary lighting does not need to.

Working on the above theory, you lads will be getting parked up for having a reversing light that doesn’t work!

you are correct, they could park you up, or give you a delayed prohibition for having a reverse light out. they have to work if they are fitted. however, if you cover them up, then you are legal.
it is true, every light must work.

1. Paragraph (2) does not apply to-

(c) a defective lamp, reflector, dim-dip device or headlamp levelling device on a vehicle in use on a road between sunrise and sunset, if any such lamp, reflector or device became defective during the journey which is in progress or if arrangements have been made to remedy the defect with all reasonable expedition

From the reg’s above - I’m not convinced that 7 days would be ‘reasonable expedition’ though.

limeyphil:

Driveroneuk:

mark h:

limeyphil:

correct phil !

you are correct, they could park you up, or give you a delayed prohibition for having a reverse light out. they have to work if they are fitted. however, if you cover them up, then you are legal.
it is true, every light must work.

No they don’t ,no need to cover any none statuatory inop lamps up! There are many trailers running round with rear fog lamps fitted to both sides but no bulb holder in the n/s lamp as it’s not a statuatory requirement, and vosa or the bib can do naff all about it!
I’ve been to MOT many times with vehicles with additional lights that would fail, take the bulbs out and pass no problem. :laughing:

well they made me cover my reverse lights up when they weren’t working. i explained that reverse lights arn’t on the mot. he agreed but explained that if it has a light, then it must work.
that was actually in pre-vosa days. but i would have expected the law to be tighter now, rather than more relaxed.
and one rear fog lamp is a legal requirement.

limeyphil:
well they made me cover my reverse lights up when they weren’t working. i explained that reverse lights arn’t on the mot. he agreed but explained that if it has a light, then it must work.
that was actually in pre-vosa days. but i would have expected the law to be tighter now, rather than more relaxed.
and one rear fog lamp is a legal requirement.

Yep one fog light on the o/s. Next time they try to make you cover em up tell em to go forth and multiply. Just tell them i said it was ok :grimacing:

Read some where that with new powers introduced this or last year Vosa and Plod can issue prohibition and on the spot fines for even a side marker light £30.00 a light.Of course this may only apply to Foreign Wagons in this case :blush: But i think i’m right though and that is the basis i work with at Stobart but there kit is mostly A1 except Irlams Trailers Curtains :laughing:

Going back to the origional problem - it’s one thing going down the road with marker light out, but with 4 out and only one working you’re looking for a pull. Trailer side marker lights tend to be wired up “daisy chain” i.e. the wiring starts at one end (front or rear) and each adjacent light is wired from the last; so if the rear light was working, and the rest weren’t, I would check the light next to the one that was working. It may be just a bit of corrosion, or a break, once that is fixed, all the others will then work.

coiler:
Going back to the origional problem - it’s one thing going down the road with marker light out, but with 4 out and only one working you’re looking for a pull. Trailer side marker lights tend to be wired up “daisy chain” i.e. the wiring starts at one end (front or rear) and each adjacent light is wired from the last; so if the rear light was working, and the rest weren’t, I would check the light next to the one that was working. It may be just a bit of corrosion, or a break, once that is fixed, all the others will then work.

Spot on. :slight_smile: