Maritime

Hi all , , im going for an interview for maritime in southampton does anyone know what there like to drive for and money ect . thanks

simonjdig:
Hi all , , im going for an interview for maritime in southampton does anyone know what there like to drive for and money ect . thanks

i didn’t work directly for them, i was a subby for a few years, i found the office staff to be generally pretty good compared to the other depots, almost top spec kit with microwaves and some have coffee machines, all the kit is well looked after and no older than 3 years old (there are a couple a little older), you will be cab hopping for at least 12 months as there is a list of drivers waiting for their own trucks

try not to scratch the truck, they take a very dim view of this and will have you in for a disciplinary over it

apparently the wage is £385 basic per week for 55 hours, overtime paid daily after 11 hours paid at £10.25 per hour

£50 meal allowance per week
£23 night out money

any hours worked before 04:00 are paid at £14 per hour or part thereof

saturday £10.25 per hour for the first 5 hours then £14 per hour after, if tipping or loading a box on a saturday it is £14 per hour straight through

sundays are for the ■■■ kissers :wink:

Spoken to a couple of drivers from maritime, got the feeling their hard to work and you’ll max your hours out constantly but both spoke highly of the gear tho.

Wages are as spanky says, plus £100 per day for holiday pay. I average 65 hrs a week and 3 nights out. Never once maxed hours and only once done 5 nights out and 3 times done 4. You will cab hop for a while. Most I’ve ever took home is 670 in a week, although it was bumped up by a good Friday run in and 5 hrs shunting on a Saturday too. Planners are like a lottery, I get on ok with mine but some do struggle. Middle management are the same, a couple of diamonds and a couple of planks. As for John Williams, one of the nicest blokes you will ever meet, not many md’s running 700 trucks that will talk to the drivers personally

If you do a search there is plenty on them…I worked for them for over 4 years and they were mainly alright,a lot of the drivers moan like ■■■■ about everything,its a bit like being at school and the mentality of some of them is quite pathetic.
If you keep your head down,get on with the job,dont get too involved with the other drivers and just say yes sir,no sir three bags full sir to those in the office and you’ll do well out of it (as i did) :wink:
I enjoyed my time there,have some good friends who still work there and who moan and moan about how many nights out they’re NOT getting and how much overtime they are NOT getting and about the company in general,but they love it there really.
I moved on cause i was sick of container work,the company had massively expanded since i first started and basically the Maritime fun police had taken every possible bit of enjoyment out of the job…i’d still probably be there now if i hadn’t split from my missus and been offered a better job.

As Shuttlespanker has said,they dont like you scraping or denting the truck,make sure you defect anything before you use each truck,or you’ll be getting the blame!! :wink:

When I was there, I loved it, took a while to get my own truck (which I had to travel to a different depot to get) so was cab hopping which meant I could be and was in Manchester, Liverpool and Leeds all in 1 week.

Planners can be ok or can be complete fools, had 1 on the Hapag Lloyd contract who wanted me to do Thamesport to Newcastle upon Tyne and back to Thamesport the same day because they wanted to return the genset same day… I explained that I had no 13hr driving days left that week.

Can be a lot of messing around, and they do some curtains now so not just container work.

Kit is good, the Volvo’s have leather seats, all trucks have fridges, most have microwaves (unless they’ve been broken / made unusable by drivers) and some have coffee machines (unless brand new, I wouldn’t bother, drivers just leave the coffee sat in them).

Yards are pretty good, no mud pits anymore, some have crap showers, some have excellent showers (leeds), some move containers 24hrs.

Wages have been explained - and they must’ve had a pay rise in last 12mths because it’s now more than I was on when there.

They don’t take any ■■■■ and if you’ve been once, they won’t have you back - only exception was a couple of lads when they bought DHL out.

I was fired for ‘my time sheet didn’t tally with my tacho’, but was actually because I refused to work a Sunday, and I can be a bit abrasive so they found a reason (WHICH WAS GENUINE) and got rid. Only telling you this as a heads up / warning not to ■■■■ around, be nice to everyone, make sure your timesheet and tacho tally to the minute, if you’ve got to get your paperwork and keys before putting tacho in, manual entry etc…

Good luck with the interview

We had a rise last year Wayne. Not loads but when you think of the amount if drivers, it still put a ford focus on the wage bill every week. Marchwood is still a mud pit, but it is due a revamp soon

OVLOV JAY:
We had a rise last year Wayne. Not loads but when you think of the amount if drivers, it still put a ford focus on the wage bill every week. Marchwood is still a mud pit, but it is due a revamp soon

I always liked Marchwood, used to run round there if I was in Soton (if I had time and wasn’t dropping / swapping trailers in that ■■■■■■■■ Millbrook)

Hated Millbrook, too noisy, too busy, too many boy racers raggin’ up the ‘bypass’

Shower was good at Marchwood, wifi used to reach to the truck if you parked clever, was nice and quiet, and had a good laugh with the lads - even the office staff in there were pretty cool

Think it was £375 basic, £50 meal allowance, £10 O/T through week and Sat’s, can’t remember rate for Sunday or if you did more than 5hrs Sat because I never did :wink:

thanks you lot , still not sure if to take it or not
lol

simonjdig:
thanks you lot , still not sure if to take it or not
lol

Like I said, if you take it and then leave / get pushed, you’ll never get back in, take it from someone who knows a guy who left on good terms due to personal reasons (not me, I was pushed).

I think if you get the interview and don’t take it, chances are you’ll never get it again.

Job was ok, honest, no worse than most places, planners everywhere can be fools, equipment’s good and take home is usually good, especially for container work.

Change of plan been offered a job with translux international now , oh what to do …

if its the translux i am thinking of make sure you get full clarification on terms and conditions as some guys go in blind with great expectations it can be good for some not so good for others
what kind of work u looking for do u mind nights out away for weeks on end or just local work

OVLOV JAY:
Wages are as spanky says, plus £100 per day for holiday pay. I average 65 hrs a week and 3 nights out. Never once maxed hours and only once done 5 nights out and 3 times done 4. You will cab hop for a while. Most I’ve ever took home is 670 in a week, although it was bumped up by a good Friday run in and 5 hrs shunting on a Saturday too. Planners are like a lottery, I get on ok with mine but some do struggle. Middle management are the same, a couple of diamonds and a couple of planks. As for John Williams, one of the nicest blokes you will ever meet, not many md’s running 700 trucks that will talk to the drivers personally

If you domt mind me asking jay whats your average take home?

bjd:

6 days good 600
Bad 550
Catastrophic 500

5 days good 550
Bad 475
Catastrophic 420

OVLOV JAY:

bjd:

6 days good 600
Bad 550
Catastrophic 500

5 days good 550
Bad 475
Catastrophic 420

Do you still get fuel bonus every 3? mths (think it was 3 or 4…)

Fb is every 6 plus accident bonus with the crimbo payment

nights away , Translux said i will be away from 3 weeks to 4 months, they are based in iver, got the interview on monday

OVLOV JAY:

you get a bonus if you have an accident■■?

i always thought they sacked you :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

shuttlespanker:

OVLOV JAY:

you get a bonus if you have an accident■■?

i always thought they sacked you :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Yes, but there is a qualifying form to fill in to be eligible :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

OVLOV JAY:

Maybe his 2 brothers should take leaf from Johns book lol he is very much like what Tommy was and still is