Maritime putting in cab cameras watching drivers

Cameras in the cab pointing at me whilst I’m doing my job and I’m out. Simple as.

My notice goes in the day they get installed.

Not a problem on nights out cos the curtains cover them. But if they’re trying to catch people using their phones what are they going to do, watch the entire journey because especially on a night at certain times on the roads I go on you can have a game of footie on the carriageway and not see another vehicle so you’re not going to be getting any events recorded to look at such as harsh braking.

Not sure if ours monitor the driver or not but given that the AEBS gets triggered on some wagons by a certain couple of bridges on the A1 all you’d see is the “WTF??” expression from the driver as the dash flashed red, fired up the collision warning alarm and the truck dabbed on the brakes on a completely empty road.

It’s not exactly a vexing conundrum is it? Quite simply vote with your feet. The film footage of a driverless parked up truck would only be rivalled by channel 4’s Big Brother for sheer tedium.

We have 5 Camera on and in the Cab :exclamation:

Alternatively, there’s another business model where you only take on fully trained and experienced drivers for top dollar…

Alas, Maritime is unfamiliar with the concept. :neutral_face: :smiling_imp:

Had them at Creed Food Service, I still drove whilst eating/drinking and picking my nose with no bother from the office.

DJC:
As for live streaming to the office, the bandwidth required to do that and time spend to do it would cost far too much and there isn’t even the infrastructure for it to be possible.

Says who? Our entire fleet is kitted out with cameras which can do just that: exeros-technologies.com/mobi … mobile-dvr

no doubt these companies have looked into the legal side of it,but if it was a live stream and drivers got wind of it and become a laughing stock around the company particularly if drivers swear or do other things to pass the boredom then surely that is an invasion of privacy and they could take legal action because of the humiliation,i for one would not accept it

Invasion of privacy- hahahaha haha

I’m sure every shop worker, most factory workers, street cleaner and maybe even live ■■■■ channel girls are queing up at the court house.

You don’t own the truck, it’s not your private home and you can do nothing about it.

Privacy indeed.

You don’t actually think a team of fifty people sits there watching the 600-700hrs of this footage that would be generated every day do you? (I’m not sure how many cabs Maritime have). It will be a passive recording that will only ever be looked at in the event of an accident. If someone has a smack and they look back and the driver was on the phone at the time, fair enough. In reverse if they look and the driver was fully attentive, then that’s in his favour.

I don’t think the issue is that employers will monitor all the output from every camera - rather that they would have the ability to monitor an individual driver if they chose to do so without him necessarily being aware of it. This could become a problem if, say, a driver got up the manager’s nose about some issue or another. Not enough in itself to risk dismissal, but the manager could use the camera to accumulate enough evidence to sack said driver, should he be so inclined.

the nodding donkey:

OllieNotts:
The ones at nft were on constant and stayed on during a night out.

Bollox.

I wish I’d kept the leaflet we had now, red light means recording and they were on on most vehicles on constant when I was there. They reckon the camera was downloaded wirelessly on returning to the yard and sent to another country but they would be checking up on the drivers behaviour.
It was alfreton nft I’m not sure on other depots, if you want to believe that’s ■■■■■■■■ then it’s no skin off my nose I know what they DID and it played a huge part in me sacking it off.

the nodding donkey:

OllieNotts:
The ones at nft were on constant and stayed on during a night out.

Bollox.

Yep totally agree .

Honked:

I’m sure every shop worker, most factory workers, street cleaner and maybe even live ■■■■ channel girls are queing up at the court house.

You don’t own the truck, it’s not your private home and you can do nothing about it.

Privacy indeed.

I agree with that in principle, but most workers don’t sleep at their workplace. Would you stay in a hotel that had a camera in the room “in the interests of safety and security”?

Captain Caveman 76:

Honked:

Privacy indeed.

I agree with that in principle, but most workers don’t sleep at their workplace. Would you stay in a hotel that had a camera in the room “in the interests of safety and security”?

You have two options.

Ask / check if it records without ignition.
Cover it up.

I have my own camera, it turns off with the ignition. I leave my ignition on when I stop for a snooze just in case I miss something :slight_smile:

Honked:

Captain Caveman 76:

Honked:

Privacy indeed.

You have two options.

Ask / check if it records without ignition.
Cover it up.

I have my own camera, it turns off with the ignition. I leave my ignition on when I stop for a snooze just in case I miss something :slight_smile:

I don’t have one, personally I think it shows a complete lack of trust by the employer. I do know drivers who do though, apparently it records on a thirty second loop. It overwrites previous recording unless it detects an incident, then only the portion of the recording up to the incident is saved.
I can see how it would help clear a driver in the event of an accident, but I still don’t like them!

Roymondo:
I don’t think the issue is that employers will monitor all the output from every camera - rather that they would have the ability to monitor an individual driver if they chose to do so without him necessarily being aware of it. This could become a problem if, say, a driver got up the manager’s nose about some issue or another. Not enough in itself to risk dismissal, but the manager could use the camera to accumulate enough evidence to sack said driver, should he be so inclined.

Could be used to get someone out, like you say.

weeto:

scousedave:
would you ever work for a company like Maritime who are putting in cameras watching the drivers (not outward facing).
Talk about big brother. At the end of the day we all have the occasional drink at the when and in this scenario could be sacked for it and now they have photographic evidence to boot.
Maritime don’t use agencies so after taking on late in the year to cover the Christmas period are using any excuse to get rid of drivers they don’t need.

Do you really think those cameras will be transmitting a live stream back to head office? I don’t agree to rear facing cameras, but not paranoid enough to think the office would be watching and listening to me 24\7.

they’ll pay someone to do that job! :unamused: exactly the same as people employ to watch ■■■■■■■■ and the like :bulb: stobrats, Mcvities and the rest! Believe :grimacing:

Captain Caveman 76:

Honked:

Privacy indeed.

Dipper would love it…Of course I would get caught in a pink tutu “performing” whilst parked up at night and that would go viral in the company and I would get sacked. The unfair dismissal / mental torture claim would buy me lots of nice things afterwards though !!!