Maratime/Hanbury Davis

hi guys

have been speaking to a few people recently about pulling for the above containers firms, any ideas about how much they pay per mile. i know i could ring them, but i don’t want the hard sell if you know what i mean, i just want the real deal, so any info on permile, payment terms and availability of work would be great

cheers

I’ve been looking at hanbury davis myself if you go to there website you can download there updated rates pack in PDF format. gives you all the prices on there. other than that i’m new to the game so couldn’t really tell you much else, sorry.

hanburydavies.co.uk/trackandtrace.asp

click on sub contractor pack and it will download it .

Tramper and Jonah1 have both pulled for these firms, If they don’t appear over the weekend try sending them a PM

on the other hand just assume

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Denis F:
Tramper and Jonah1 have both pulled for these firms, If they don’t appear over the weekend try sending them a PM

on the other hand just assume

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

and a Mars bar. :stuck_out_tongue: :slight_smile:

that would be a snicker bar surely?
lets try and keep things on topic :blush:

paul b:
that would be a snicker bar surely?
lets try and keep things on TOPIC :blush:

:unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

In summary £1.12 a mile @ 44t.

£12/hour demurge after 4 hours…yeah right. I bet they are charging £200/hour from the moment of go.

Dude, you have mail.
There are good container firms out there, it just takes a while to find them and have the know how/courage to tell them what you want!
As I have said before, I think 15K is a lot to spend on a first motor, Its a lot of money to tie up when it will be cash flow that will kill your business more quickly than anything else. Personally, I would spend up to 5K on a beater and move up when I decided that O/D was the way you really wanted to go. That way, if you decide you really have made an awful mistake, you haven’t spent most of your wad and get battered on resale values, which at present are DIRE on secondhand trucks, unless your trading in for much newer or brand new.
Just my thoughts.
Good luck.

Hanbury Davis - £1.10
Maritime - £1.15

When I first went on for 'em I was doing really well but then after a couple of months they started to run me to within 20 miles of the 1500 guarantee and thats how it stayed 'til I left.

Oh… when I was doing well I was on round trips (ie out loaded back empty) but when the weekly mileage dropped I was doing back loads as well so more waiting and nearly always heavy for the same money as being empty and you may as well forget demurrage 'coz I never got paid on any of my claims.

I started writing 1 hour on all my timesheets (they allow 3 for a 20’ & 4 for anything bigger) so they said

“Why have you put an hour for this job when you were there for 8 hours”

I replied

“Why should I put 8 hours down when you never pay me for it”

their reply
our m
“But we cant get our money if you dont put down on the P.O.D’s”

After that I used to write

1 hour only - one hour only*****

So they couldn’t alter the P.O.D’s later

Sockpuppet:
In summary £1.12 a mile @ 44t.

£12/hour demurge after 4 hours…yeah right. I bet they are charging £200/hour from the moment of go.

not quite mate i heard it’s about 50 to 75 quid an hour after 3 hour’s depending on which shipping line the box belong’s to and i believe dnt quote me cos i dnt know how true it is maritime od’s ae on about 1.15 a mile

:confused:

Jonah 1:
and you may as well forget demurrage 'coz I never got paid on any of my claims.

I started writing 1 hour on all my timesheets (they allow 3 for a 20’ & 4 for anything bigger) so they said

“Why have you put an hour for this job when you were there for 8 hours”

I replied

“Why should I put 8 hours down when you never pay me for it”

their reply
our m
“But we cant get our money if you dont put down on the P.O.D’s”

After that I used to write

1 hour only - one hour only*****

So they couldn’t alter the P.O.D’s later

:smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

Yes they were a bunch of gits for that, the usual excuse was that you had to fax the POD within 12 hours, yer, like when your out on the road for days on end fax machines to use for free are round every corner :unamused:

I was on C.P when I left I had the vfeeling it stood for Cant Plan

well obviously both are p poor rates, BUT:

that 5ppm difference doesn’t sound much, but assuming 1500/week x 48 weeks a year, makes a difference of £3,600…enough for a nice holiday!

Driveroneuk “but assuming 1500/week x 48 weeks a year,”
When I was an OD we used to plan on 53 weeks a year!!! :laughing:

harry:
Driveroneuk “but assuming 1500/week x 48 weeks a year,”
When I was an OD we used to plan on 53 weeks a year!!! :laughing:

exactly Harry… and now you use the word was!

Reckon on 48 allows for a holiday & down days due to unforseen breakdowns, regular serving, etc.

Tramper:
Dude, you have mail.
There are good container firms out there, it just takes a while to find them and have the know how/courage to tell them what you want!
As I have said before, I think 15K is a lot to spend on a first motor, Its a lot of money to tie up when it will be cash flow that will kill your business more quickly than anything else. Personally, I would spend up to 5K on a beater and move up when I decided that O/D was the way you really wanted to go. That way, if you decide you really have made an awful mistake, you haven’t spent most of your wad and get battered on resale values, which at present are DIRE on secondhand trucks, unless your trading in for much newer or brand new.
Just my thoughts.
Good luck.

I know where you are coming from but the problem with spending so little is it is far more likely to buy something that will go bang and potentially ruin the business before it has really begun.

Its just my opinion but I know a lad who started at a similar time to me and bought an old clunker. It blew up about three weeks later, he had no cash to pay for repairs. He then had the problem that it wasn’t worth repairing and was worth nothing but scrap. It finished him before he had started. :frowning:

I understand your point but maybe spending a bit extra on a unit might enable him to run slightly longer without major mechanical problems, get some cash together and get his name known ?

hammer:
I know where you are coming from but the problem with spending so little is it is far more likely to buy something that will go bang and potentially ruin the business before it has really begun.

Its just my opinion but I know a lad who started at a similar time to me and bought an old clunker. It blew up about three weeks later, he had no cash to pay for repairs. He then had the problem that it wasn’t worth repairing and was worth nothing but scrap. It finished him before he had started. :frowning:

I think Tramper’s point is more that if you have 15k to spend on a unit then don’t, spend 5k instead and bank the other 10k. That way if the unit does go bang after a month you have enough money to go out and buy another one. And if that one goes bang, you have enough to buy a third! If that one goes bang then perhaps you take the hint that it isn’t meant to be!

After all, 15k motor could still go bang and if that was everything you have, that would also finish you.

Paul

repton:

hammer:

I think Tramper’s point is more that if you have 15k to spend on a unit then don’t, spend 5k instead and bank the other 10k. That way if the unit does go bang after a month you have enough money to go out and buy another one. And if that one goes bang, you have enough to buy a third! If that one goes bang then perhaps you take the hint that it isn’t meant to be!

After all, 15k motor could still go bang and if that was everything you have, that would also finish you.

Paul

I take your point, I was just thinking about it from a cashflow / business reputation perspective.

It’s a worry, for sure, but 15K doesn’t buy you peace of mind anymore, so if your going to run the risk, my feeling is spend as little as possible. There are some really good, cheap motors about, it’s just knowing where to look and who to talk to really.
My first motor cost me 3K, a Foden 4350 6x2. A real beater but it did it’s job well, cost me nothing and I got 2K on part exchange for my next truck, a 10K Magnum, which cost me so much to keep on the road it nearly bankrupted me!
Better still, if your start point is going to be containers, keep your cash in your pocket and wait for your next brain wave. Synical…but quite serious.