Maratime/Hanbury Davis

I used to work for Maritime - they have contracts with a number of different container companies, and the demurrage and rates which they receive varies from contract to contract. The particular contract I was on paid £25 demurrage per complete half hour, after the three or four free hours (depending on the box size). We depended completely on our client for things like container clearances being done correctly, empties being correctly booked back on the quay and so on - the client I worked with had a very poor reputation for that kind of thing, and the drivers and hauliers never appreciated that it wasn’t our fault and there was nothing we could do. The customer sometimes seemed deliberately obtuse - the more we pushed, the slower they seemed to deal with our problems. So occasionally, when you find yourself stranded waiting for something like this to be done, shouting and getting angry doesn’t get it done any quicker…

Hi there all. Hope am not butting in.
After reading this you are a little further up the road than me. i am looking to be O/D
How long did it take you to get to the stage of wanting to buy a truck.
And what kind of out lay would i be looking at for insurance and everthing else to the point of me getting in my own truck and setting of to pick a trailer up.

The reason i started this thread was because of a conversation/job offer i had with an OD who was banging all kinds of figures about, i just wanted to see how much of what he had to say was true. and lets just say he must be wearing rose tinted glasses having read some of the replies and PMs i’ve had.

thanks to all those you replied and help fill a gap in my knowledge ( lots more of them to fill , I’m sure!)