Manual Entries

I worked for this company (via an agency) who insisted that you did a manual entry for the beginning and end of each day. So, say I would finish work at 17.05, I would round the end time to the nearest 15 minutes i.e. 17.15. I would do this the following morning when I would say begin work at 6.30 but it may be 6.35 or even a little later when I would get into the vehicle having collected keys etc. So you are accounting for every moment that you are in work. Fine. But the company (or rather manager) I am at now aren’t happy about it although, when a trainer from the company came along a few months ago, he said that the next time he would visit, he would teach us all how to do manual entries. I’ve spoken to another driver at another site who says that the company likes drivers to do manual entries every day.

Do some of you have to perform manual entries and are there rules governing how you perform them? If you do, what does your company give as the reason to complete manual entries? Thanks.

Manual entries done at the start of every shift, accounting for the genuine previous finish time and the start time of the current shift.
It takes maybe 30 seconds once you are used to how the particular tachograph works, and i don’t see why anyone has an issue with doing so.

To be fair i’ve never managed to do them on the old Stoneridge tachographs, which were the work of the devil and it was as much as i could manage getting me bloody card back out.

An operator who wouldn’t want you doing manual entries is one i would suspect of wanting to push you right up to the very last second of 15 hour spreadovers, in other words modern day cowboy operators, best avoided.

Juddian:
Manual entries done at the start of every shift, accounting for the genuine previous finish time and the start time of the current shift.
It takes maybe 30 seconds once you are used to how the particular tachograph works, and i don’t see why anyone has an issue with doing so.

To be fair i’ve never managed to do them on the old Stoneridge tachographs, which were the work of the devil and it was as much as i could manage getting me bloody card back out.

An operator who wouldn’t want you doing manual entries is one i would suspect of wanting to push you right up to the very last second of 15 hour spreadovers, in other words modern day cowboy operators, best avoided.

Thanks. But tell me why do you do them?

Mooping:

Juddian:

To ensure an accurate reflection of time at work?

Yep, manual entries in the morning to cover the end of the last shift and the start of that days work. Tacho must match our log in/out times. As Juddian says, takes less than a minute to do even on a Stoneridge :smiley:

You do them to make a complete record of your working day. For a day driver the work day starts before the card goes in and finishes after the card comes out (picking up keys/notes dropping keys/notes off is other work) so manual entries show these periods of other work.

Mooping:

Juddian:

Because i work for a good company who pay me ridiculously well for mostly short working days and treat me with respect, and part of working here is crossing all legal T’s and dotting all legal i’s, the tachograph download must correspond exactly with the daily work sheets we hand in, which it will when you complete manual entries, the company is squeaky clean.

Turning the tables on you, why don’t you want to do them.

As a tramper it is rare that I need to do a manual entry, a couple of examples when I do do them may be when I start on a Monday morning and my vehicle is still up the garage getting serviced or even when I finish on a Friday, hand keys and paperwork in and then the gaffer decides he wants a chat about a certain job for an hour or so. I want paying for this time and my time sheet will reflect it so I make sure that my tacho does too.

Mooping:
Do some of you have to perform manual entries and are there rules governing how you perform them? If you do, what does your company give as the reason to complete manual entries? Thanks.

Yes I do it. The rules governing doing them is the EU Drivers Hours, the company doesn’t have to give a reason, the law requires you to make entries showing what you have done for the period your tacho isn’t in the machine and you’re working. Every driver should be doing them as there isn’t a driver out there who is arriving at work, getting straight in their truck and putting their card in and when they finish taking their card out and getting in the car and driving home. We’re all getting keys, paperwork etc and doing the reverse when we finish.

Conor:

Mooping:

Yes I do it. The rules governing doing them is the EU Drivers Hours, the company doesn’t have to give a reason, the law requires you to make entries showing what you have done for the period your tacho isn’t in the machine and you’re working. Every driver should be doing them as there isn’t a driver out there who is arriving at work, getting straight in their truck and putting their card in and when they finish taking their card out and getting in the car and driving home. We’re all getting keys, paperwork etc and doing the reverse when we finish.

Thanks. Is there a legal requirement? If so, why aren’t all drivers told to do this? Do you round up or back to the nearest 15 minutes?

Yes there is a legal requirement, you must record accurately your working day. You dont round up or down, you put in exactly what you work. For instance clock on 08.00 you grab keys and paperwork walk to unit climb in and insert card. its now 08.10, your manual entry shows rest til 08.00 then other work to 08.10. You do the usual for your shift and pull the card at 19.54, walk to office and drop keys and paperwork and clock off at 20.00. Your manual entry the next shift you work will enter other work from 19.54-20.00 then finish shift/country.

Not making a manual entry to show the above is falsifying you records which is an offence.

As to why arent all drivers told to do this? to delay starting the clock on their 15hrs and pinch time after their 15hrs. Any outfit that tells me not to bother isnt one I want to associate with.

another example is we have a little van that we use to drop off click and collect stuff to stores that dont have a full delivery every day. If I do the van run I must record the time I am doing it as other work and any breaks I have taken as manual entries the next time I use a tacho.

Fuzrat:
Yes there is a legal requirement, you must record accurately your working day. You dont round up or down, you put in exactly what you work. For instance clock on 08.00 you grab keys and paperwork walk to unit climb in and insert card. its now 08.10, your manual entry shows rest til 08.00 then other work to 08.10. You do the usual for your shift and pull the card at 19.54, walk to office and drop keys and paperwork and clock off at 20.00. Your manual entry the next shift you work will enter other work from 19.54-20.00 then finish shift/country.

Not making a manual entry to show the above is falsifying you records which is an offence.

As to why arent all drivers told to do this? to delay starting the clock on their 15hrs and pinch time after their 15hrs. Any outfit that tells me not to bother isnt one I want to associate with.

So…if you worked until 20.04 hundred hours. You would then finish at 20.10 by your calculation above. Is that what you would put down in the manual entry?

When I was driving on agency I always did manual entries and usually rounded the time to the nearest 15 minutes, without being petty about it I usually made sure it was in my favour because I like to get paid for the work I do :wink: :smiley:

Mooping:

Fuzrat:

So…if you worked until 20.04 hundred hours. You would then finish at 20.10 by your calculation above. Is that what you would put down in the manual entry?

He works for the same company as myself so I’m sure if he finished at 20.04 he would clock out and show a manual entry for a 20.15 finish. As previously mentioned any company worth working for will want you to record your time this way and it takes a minute if that .

Conor:
there isn’t a driver out there who is arriving at work, getting straight in their truck and putting their card in and when they finish taking their card out and getting in the car and driving home. We’re all getting keys, paperwork etc and doing the reverse when we finish.

Wrong again, there are many who do so.
What about trampers who come in at beginning of week, put card in as soon as they get in their truck, and out at end of week and drive home.
I do it every week.

Agreed, that’s precisely the way I used to do it at my last job, paperwork etc was all done while my card was still in the tacho.

I’ve only just started doing manual entries after leaving that job. I too found it very confusing at first, but it seems relatively straight forward now, but not yet ‘second nature’.

Golden rule of driving.

If your employer has a problem with you accounting for every minute you work for them. FIND A NEW EMPLOYER !!!

robroy:

Conor:
there isn’t a driver out there who is arriving at work, getting straight in their truck and putting their card in and when they finish taking their card out and getting in the car and driving home. We’re all getting keys, paperwork etc and doing the reverse when we finish.

Wrong again, there are many who do so.
What about trampers who come in at beginning of week, put card in as soon as they get in their truck, and out at end of week and drive home.
I do it every week.

Yep. Day driver here and I don’t have to go and collect keys and paperwork before getting to my lorry in the morning, or hand them in at the end of the day. I load at the end of the day, so I’ve already got the paperwork and it gets handed in before I park up. As for the keys, they stay with me :wink:

Even those that get out of car and straight in to the unit then out of unit and straight home there is still a period you are working without card in. Will be at least a minute either end where you are walking to and unlocking unit then locking it up at the end of the week.

As bald bloke says, we are paid in 15min slots so if I remove card at 20.04 then it will be poa til 10 past while I sit around in the drivers room then other work til quarter past to log out on microlise and swipe out.

Conor:

Mooping:

I literally do exactly that usually. When I get back the tacho stays on other work until I’m loaded and collected paperwork for the next shift then back to the truck and put it on rest and go home with the keys. Next morning, park the car and get straight back in the truck and put it on cross hammers.
However, for the odd occasion this doesn’t happen such as service time I religiously do manual entries, I don’t know why anybody wouldn’t.
It’s a hell of a lot easier on the current generation heads compared to the first, especially stoneage (stoneridge).
I used to work for Wincanton who were very strict on matching tacho to timesheet which has just stuck with me.