Manual entries when working elsewhere

For example. If a driver works, 1 week driving then goes next week or maybe more as a paid non driving position then goes back as a driver for a week . Would you be required to go day by day through manual entries screen to record the gap as other work, rest etc when the digicard is re-entered.

No.

But you should keep a paper record of your activities when doing non driving work.

dsa:
For example. If a driver works, 1 week driving then goes next week or maybe more as a paid non driving position then goes back as a driver for a week . Would you be required to go day by day through manual entries screen to record the gap as other work, rest etc when the digicard is re-entered.

No is the short answer.

The long answer is that in any week that you do not drive you do not need to record any work you do, not for the drivers regulations anyway.

In any week that you drive in-scope of EU regulations you are required to record days that you do not drive in that same week, the records can be manually written on a printout or chart.

For instance if you drove to EU regulations on Monday to Thursday and worked in a warehouse on Friday, you would be expected to record Fridays work on a printout or chart, you can manually enter it into the digital tachograph if you want to but it’s not worth the hassle, a written record on a printout or chart is much easier and there’s less likelihood of mistakes.

I guess once you start a driving week the entries would have to be made to complete that period. But then maybe not as you wouldn’t have access to a vehicle unit. Only if you finished the reference week with a driving period.

dsa:
I guess once you start a driving week the entries would have to be made to complete that period. But then maybe not as you wouldn’t have access to a vehicle unit. Only if you finished the reference week with a driving period.

Records for none driving days never have to be entered into the tachograph, it’s your choice.

As I said before I wouldn’t enter a record for a none driving day into the tachograph, 1) it takes too long and 2) there’s too much chance of a mistake being made, especially if you’re entering several days work.

Easiest way is to get some printer roll. Write the date on the back and do a trace through other work and break and your start/finish times.

Simples.

Do records have to be made on tacho printer rolls? Why won’t any sort of paper do?

And why even paper these days? I have a truck timer app on my phone which can record my activities, produce logs and export the data when needed. Would that not be sufficient evidence of record keeping?

Oh, and how far back does one have to retain the audit trail (paper or otherwise)? Is it the last 28 days?

I’ve been wondering a lot about these questions recently so this thread is really helpful - thanks for the info and responses so far.

tachograph:

dsa:

No is the short answer.

The long answer is that in any week that you do not drive you do not need to record any work you do, not for the drivers regulations anyway.

In any week that you drive in-scope of EU regulations you are required to record days that you do not drive in that same week, the records can be manually written on a printout or chart.

For instance if you drove to EU regulations on Monday to Thursday and worked in a warehouse on Friday, you would be expected to record Fridays work on a printout or chart, you can manually enter it into the digital tachograph if you want to but it’s not worth the hassle, a written record on a printout or chart is much easier and there’s less likelihood of mistakes.

How about if you drive gb domestic rules?. Can I use my digi card and carry my hours book or do I have to make manual entries?. I only plan to drive onece a fortnight. Cheers in advance

jonny b:

tachograph:

dsa:

No is the short answer.

How about if you drive gb domestic rules?. Can I use my digi card and carry my hours book or do I have to make manual entries?. I only plan to drive onece a fortnight. Cheers in advance

If you drive to domestic regulations you can use either a log sheet or a tachograph if one is fitted to the vehicle, the company will decide which you use, whatever you use you must carry your driver card if you have one.
A log sheet is sufficient if you use one so there’s no need to write manual entries for the work onto anything else.

As far as none driving days are concerned, the DVSA say on page 29 - Rules on Drivers Hours and Tachographs that records for none driving days should be written on printouts/charts or log sheets where appropriate, however some people have said that they’ve kept records of other work in a notebook and DVSA have been happy with that, I have no personal experience of that so can’t comment other than to say I see no logical reason why they wouldn’t be happy with records for none driving days being kept in a notebook.

edit: By the way, driving on domestic regulations counts as other work for the EU regulations, so if you use a digital tachograph while on domestic regulations you can put the tachograph on “Out of Scope”.

ORC:
Do records have to be made on tacho printer rolls? Why won’t any sort of paper do?

I can only tell you what it says on page 29 - Rules on Drivers Hours and Tachographs, though to be honest I can see no logical reason why the DVSA would not accept records for none driving days being kept in a notebook or whatever.

ORC:
And why even paper these days? I have a truck timer app on my phone which can record my activities, produce logs and export the data when needed. Would that not be sufficient evidence of record keeping?

Well to be fair, if you get stopped by the DVSA I think it’s a tad unreasonable to expect them to mess about with a timer app on your phone or whatever, and they’re certainly not going to be happy about having to wait while you create records so they can read them.

ORC:
Oh, and how far back does one have to retain the audit trail (paper or otherwise)? Is it the last 28 days?

Records have to be carried for 28 days, after that you can bin the records for none driving days unless your company want them for their records.

tachograph:

jonny b:

tachograph:

dsa:

No is the short answer.

If you drive to domestic regulations you can use either a log sheet or a tachograph if one is fitted to the vehicle, the company will decide which you use, whatever you use you must carry your driver card if you have one.
A log sheet is sufficient if you use one so there’s no need to write manual entries for the work onto anything else.

As far as none driving days are concerned, the DVSA say on page 29 - Rules on Drivers Hours and Tachographs that records for none driving days should be written on printouts/charts or log sheets where appropriate, however some people have said that they’ve kept records of other work in a notebook and DVSA have been happy with that, I have no personal experience of that so can’t comment other than to say I see no logical reason why they wouldn’t be happy with records for none driving days being kept in a notebook.

edit: By the way, driving on domestic regulations counts as other work for the EU regulations, so if you use a digital tachograph while on domestic regulations you can put the tachograph on “Out of Scope”.

That great just what I needed to know.cheers :smiley:

tachograph:
‘… in any week that you do not drive you do not need to record any work you do, not for the drivers regulations anyway…’

Hence for my last two DCPC modules I shan’t bother recording it - especially since I’ll be napping for the ‘sitty-down’ bits :smiley:

jonny b:
That great just what I needed to know.cheers :smiley:

Just so you know, to get into Out Of Scope mode press OK on the digi unit, scroll up/down to Entry Vehicle then scroll up/down to Out :wink:

Happy Keith:

tachograph:
‘… in any week that you do not drive you do not need to record any work you do, not for the drivers regulations anyway…’

Hence for my last two DCPC modules I shan’t bother recording it - especially since I’ll be napping for the ‘sitty-down’ bits :smiley:

But your DCPC modules usually only take one day each…

When making a manual entry on a non driving day I always thought you could just write your name on the chart and start time and finish time where you would usual write the mileage,I’ve never done a trace on the back as I always thought there was only a requirement for start and finish time,is that the case or have I been doing it wrong?

Trickiedickie:
When making a manual entry on a non driving day I always thought you could just write your name on the chart and start time and finish time where you would usual write the mileage,I’ve never done a trace on the back as I always thought there was only a requirement for start and finish time,is that the case or have I been doing it wrong?

If you wanted to maximise your working time it would be good practise to list all breaks on your chart.

Trickiedickie:

No you’re not wrong you’re right :wink:

The records for none driving days need only contain the date, your start and finish times and your name.

Page 39 - Rules on Drivers’ Hours and Tachographs (Goods vehicles in GB and Europe)

tachograph:

Trickiedickie:

The records for none driving days need only contain the date, your start and finish times and your name.

Page 39 - Rules on Drivers’ Hours and Tachographs (Goods vehicles in GB and Europe)

Although if you did this using the ‘manual input’ procedure on a digi tachograph, you’d get an infringement for that day (assuming your working day was longer than 6 hours)…

Roymondo:

tachograph:

Trickiedickie:

Although if you did this using the ‘manual input’ procedure on a digi tachograph, you’d get an infringement for that day (assuming your working day was longer than 6 hours)…

True, that’s another reason why it’s better not to try to put whole shifts of other work into the tachograph, though I suppose you could always do a printout and write an explanation that the work was out of scope of EU regulations.

we make manual entries when we are driving non tacho vehicles,etc. just keeps you on the safe side.drive vehicle transporters, 7.5t, etc. work for hire company.