MAN's again

This has been bugging me for a while…………….but I’ve noticed that there a lot of MAN’s on the road…(possibly the most common vehicle) …………and a lot of big companies r guilt of purchasing/leasing such ■■■■……………

What deal made or ■■■■■■■■ fed to companies is MAN doing…compared to everyone else…….that is making them so popular…………■■?
There is no denying or beating the fact that they r simply just ■■■■■■■ crap…………NETTO quality……

:imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp:

Cheap .

how cheap…compared to the rest■■?

True fiqures without doing a internerd search i couldn’t tell you .
One thing a MAN struggles with in my honest opinion is gearing . They chuck as many brakehorses at that truck as they want but the gearing/ transmission system is diabolical .
They struggle with the transmission they have .
Where i work the fleet is made up of 2 brands of truck . Volvo 460 i shift (04 plate) Volvo 480 i shift (56 plate) MAN 430 (06 plate) MAN 440 (56 plate) round town shunt wagons Volvo 400 manual (56 plate )
The Volvo 400’s can out torque the 440 MAN on a hill with near as damnit identical weight and overtake it . The 480 kills them :laughing:
The speed comparison say’s it all . We had Volvo 380 manuals that could hold more speed up the same hill with as near as damnit (again) weight up the same hill . The hill between Bassets pole and Weeford island on the A38 is where we test a truck . Stick 28500 on the back and weigh out at just under 44t . Not one of those MANS can hold more than 40-45 mph up there . The old 410’s had us down to 35 mph . The 460’s hold just under 50 mph , the 480’s hold 50 or just above . . The 380 manuals held between 45 and 50 mph same as the 400’s do .
Every year they buy MAN’S as the comparison truck :unamused: When it comes to fuel consumption and reliability the Volvo’s always come top and that’s why it is the majority of our fleet . But like i said , every year the MAN’S are bought as comparison trucks . I just can;t understand why they don’t just have the whole fleet as Volvo !!!
We still have Y reg 420 volvo’s for knocking about in the yard as back up if a yellow peril goes down . The old 410’ MAN’S before we got rid of them where off the road for a week at a time because the head gaskets had gone , electrical problems , not starting , cutting out , turbos blown , you name it . They were only 3 years old .Fair enough they get used 24 hrs a day and only got saturday off but they can’t hack it .
Like i said Cheap , and you can add nasty :laughing:

They are cheap and nasty uncomfortable badly designed ■■■■■ - enough said really.

Must just be me who likes them then :wink: I’ve driven a few TGAs, mostly in rigid form but also including a 430XXL unit and they’re one of my favourites.

Paul

i think its more to do with the SCR or EGR for the euro4.
some companys are trying to stay clear of the add blue thing,
if your running a fleet with different drivers each day, can you trust them to fill up with derv and add blue each day.

its only scania and man that run with EGR. (no add blue)

I’m with Paul on this one.

I actually quite like them,and need I say,even in ERF form.The beds are actaully quite comfy,and if I had two gripes,and it applies to both makes,then it’s the size of the steering wheel,and the position of the night heater control,which should be like others,and have control in the bunk area.

During the Christmas period,I was working for a customer who had one from Hill Hire,on an 02 plate that had 750,000 kms on it,and it had stood up well to the rigours of almost going 24/7.It had had the engine re-built,and non of the trim was falling apart,and I was in a 56 plate XL twin bed version last week,and they have made big improvements to the interior,even as far as putting a fold out table on top of the coolbox.

Look at it this way.

Go back to the previous MAN version before the TGA.Now that WAS a terrible truck.

Ken.

[deleted

had one now for 3 months and my big gripe is pulling power, must admit ours are only 350 autos but theyve no go in them what so ever,wheras the previous motor would drop a gear at the weight we pull this will drop3/4 gears, any kind of drag after a rounabout just kills it, everything just flys by, the other down side is m.p.g as where its changing down all the time and taking that long to get up to top gear its drinking it.
thought it was just ours 350 hp but fitter was telling me hes forever having to go out with other firms drivers as there complaining of no power.
as for everything else it all seems o.k for the short time ive had it ,how it lasts long term well have to wait and see

paul@midway:
One thing a MAN struggles with in my honest opinion is gearing . They chuck as many brakehorses at that truck as they want but the gearing/ transmission system is diabolical .
They struggle with the transmission they have .
Where i work the fleet is made up of 2 brands of truck . Volvo 460 i shift (04 plate) Volvo 480 i shift (56 plate) MAN 430 (06 plate) MAN 440 (56 plate) round town shunt wagons Volvo 400 manual (56 plate )
The Volvo 400’s can out torque the 440 MAN on a hill with near as damnit identical weight and overtake it .

Err…that’s apparently due to a bug in the engine management software where the ECU detects overrun and then won’t give you any drive back until you’ve dropped a few MPH below the speed limiter setting so you’re doing the first part of the hill with no turbo boost until it spins back up and because of that, it knackers you for the rest of the climb. They also like to rev up a hill and not lug. You can get it updated but it has to go to a MAN dealer and they have to phone MAN Germany. Apparently it’s not uncommon to be on hold for 8hrs when you ring them. They go A LOT BETTER when it’s been updated from what I gather.

. . . . . . and yet in Germany (despite the obvious biased opinion!) they are viewed as one of ‘the’ marques.

I’m tempted to think it might be more like the ‘old fashioned’ transport managers and the sentimentalists who like them but even in Germany, times are hard in the transport sector and therefore there isn’t too much room for sentiment. :confused: :confused:

As for me, I had one during my (Woolfox) Stobart days, and before that at Irlams, and I liked them. Having said that, we weren’t exactly ‘spoiled’ for choice of quality trucks back then . . . . . . . . . . . . .

You will have to prise my Vovlo from my cold dead hands .

I work for one of these companies that are buying MANs. I know that earlier TGAs had a reputation for spending as much time being recovered as the Mercs I used to drive, but the current ones seem pretty good. Compared to our Volvo FMs the MANs are comfy (especially the drivers seat) and the auto gearbox is easy.

We had a new FM on demo at the same time, it was also v. nice but there were some cheap aspects to it - namely the seat covers and the bunk - it felt & sounded knackered - on a new demonstrator. The I-shift was also more inclined to start off in 1st then change just as you pull onto a roundabout -annoying & not something the MAN did.

As far as I can see though the killer is that the MAN is EGR. For the 3 months we had the Volvo we couldn’t get any ad-blue, so all the new emissions technology went quite literally up in smoke. With the MAN it’s still just diesel up & go. Ad-blue is an expensive & time wasting non-productive extra, hence all the new MANs.

And in this weeks CM,they do a cab test which includes the TGA,and the FH,as well as 3 others,and the FH gets a slating for cheap looking and dated interior.

Ken.

Please let me have one instead of the recycled U-Boat which they`ve rebadged as 2546 that our place have

I couldn’t give a toss what the styling of the cab is as long as the truck can pull me up a hill without having an asthma attack half way up .

We have had lots of problems with our 03 TGA 410s. Lots of engine trouble and electrical faults.

They are getting on a bit now though, and the newer 430 D20s do seem better.

They are all gutless on hills.

Still prefer my 2544.

cannot find anything good what so ever to say about them.

they’ve just won the Paris Dakar Rally

insider.trucknetuk.com/viewtopic.php?p=2389#2389