Managed to hit a car today. :(

I was delivering one pallet of tinplate to a packaging firm in Huddersfield that has a yard that’s wide enough to spin an artic around, but has cars parked in it, especially around the loading area. After tipping the pallet, I spun the outfit around to exit the yard thinking that there was enough room, but two blokes standing in the yard came running to me and frantically told me to stop. Then I thought that I must have hit one of the cars. So, I jumped out of the cab and then saw that I smashed the offside rear light cluster lens with the tailswing of my trailer.

The bloke who owned the car I hit came storming out of his office, understandably livid on what had just happened, told me that the car was due to come off lease on the following weekend, and that he wouldn’t have the time to get it repaired!

After he calmed down, I filled in our collision report form, did a sketch of the scene and took plenty of photos.

No-one was injured, and the only damage was a light cluster lens, but I just feel like a total berk after what happened today.

:blush: :frowning: :blush: :frowning:

It sounds like they need a visit from H&S if they have cars parked around the same area that trucks use with no separation for pedestrians (since people have to enter / exit cars).

Otherwise known as play them at their own game and make management crap themselves, even if H&S wouldn’t intervene until someone actually got hurt.

As for the car - thats what insurance is there for although could likely just pay the garage to sort it at time of giving it back not affecting lease, if thats even true. If its a personal lease then he’s the one stupid enough to get one under that.

trevHCS:
It sounds like they need a visit from H&S if they have cars parked around the same area that trucks use with no separation for pedestrians (since people have to enter / exit cars).

Otherwise known as play them at their own game and make management crap themselves, even if H&S wouldn’t intervene until someone actually got hurt.

As for the car - thats what insurance is there for although could likely just pay the garage to sort it at time of giving it back not affecting lease, if thats even true. If its a personal lease then he’s the one stupid enough to get one under that.

Every supermarket with small stores requiring a single axle trailer sometimes with rear steer would be due a hse visit if that was the case.

Nearly every day at small stores hard becomes harder because of parked cars. Even with alarm and hazards cars and people walk behind me when reversing. Its just the reality with store deliveries.

OP stuff happens. You’ve filled in the forms now forget about it. Those on here bragging about their zero accidents are doing noddy jobs thinking into DC’s. Store delivery drivers will all have accidents. If no one was hurt shrug your shoulders and don’t let it get you down.

Dont beat yourself up over it. It happens. Most yards and workplaces have signs around saying park at your own risk?

Nobody was hurt. That’s what matters. The rest is just stuff…

Don’t panic ■■■■ happens, usually when a twonk parks their car where it’s no suppose to be. His fault not yours.
If he gets ■■■■■■ with your company get them to ask him/them for a plan of the company grounds stating parking areas, a copy of parking procedures for private vehicles and the company risk assessment.

trevHCS:
If its a personal lease then he’s the one stupid enough to get one under that.

Personal leasing avoids…

The massive depreciation that occurs with new vehicle full purchases. Bearing in mind that the vast majority of cars spend almost all of their lives parked with the handbrake on, why would anyone want to pay for something that just sits there doing nothing?

Leasing lets you pay for the usage of the car which is all you really want at the end of the day.

yourhavingalarf:

trevHCS:

Personal leasing avoids…

The massive depreciation that occurs with new vehicle full purchases. Bearing in mind that the vast majority of cars spend almost all of their lives parked with the handbrake on, why would anyone want to pay for something that just sits there doing nothing?

Leasing lets you pay for the usage of the car which is all you really want at the end of the day.

You ever hear, nothing in life is free?

AndieHyde:

Not sure what you’re…

Getting at. Leasing isn’t free but, in my opinion it’s much better value than buying a new car.

So you only damaged light cluster /fitting.
In ideal world be easier for your said company to send a mechanic round . If you have one with a new fitting fit it in. Give driver Bootle wine/case of beer.

But in real world will end up with a bill probably approaching 1000
As there send asseors out car gets taken away .

The person then gets a high end courtesy car for 2 /3 weeks gets car back light repaired and fully valleted inside and out

edd1974:
So you only damaged light cluster /fitting.
In ideal world be easier for your said company to send a mechanic round . If you have one with a new fitting fit it in. Give driver Bootle wine/case of beer.

But in real world will end up with a bill probably approaching 1000
As there send asseors out car gets taken away .

The person then gets a high end courtesy car for 2 /3 weeks gets car back light repaired and fully valleted inside and out

All true. And then we all moan when our insurance premiums are increased.

Reason say this. 3 years ago maybe was on slip road coming off m62 slip road was uphill.
Traffic stopped due to red lights at top.
Lights changed trafdic moved .forward woman in front stalled we came together doing less than 5mph.
She got out he car was basically a shed all scratched dirty not looked after.

She was trying blame me for all the dents scratches .
Story short company sent solicitor to see me for my verison. He told me she well get something my job is get it low as possible
She had a hire car for 6 weeks car was declared a write off due to the age of it and she got 2500 for whiplash as well.
That’s why insurance goes up.
I.inspected her car couldt see any damage e I caused as she rolled back 5 foot . Then after swooping details she drove away in her car undamaged in anyway

yourhavingalarf:

AndieHyde:

Not sure what you’re…

Getting at. Leasing isn’t free but, in my opinion it’s much better value than buying a new car.

That’s you’re opinion and you are entitled to it. My experience is that someone stood between you, the end user and the original equipment manufacturer, is some kind of middle man fracturing a deal, a financial alchemist if you will, between the two parties and ultimately looking for his own end in that deal. It may not be you but inevitably it HAS to be someone that pays the price of full spectrum ownership.

NO ONE RIDES FOR FREE.

yourhavingalarf:

trevHCS:

Personal leasing avoids…

How does leasing a new car, avoid paying for the depreciation of it?

And the reality of wear and tear may well prove to be costly. A colleague of mine has spent the last week expressing fury and playing detective to find who has scratched the side of her car in the works car park.

I suggested she just slap on some touch-up paint and forget about the issue - as I did myself a few months ago when I noted a scratch on my car.

And then my colleague dropped the bombshell - it’s a lease car that will eventually be returned, so any touch-up will have to be perfect and professional to avoid a fine.

And that’s where the hidden costs and risks creep in - costs which do not just involve money, but also potentially consume large amounts of time and aggravation.

The colleague in question has easily consumed half a day of her own effort already, sucking in others from the company too to check CCTV and listen to her outrage, not to mention her engaging in uncivil confrontations with people who may or may not be the culprits.

The only people leasing is suitable for, are those who would otherwise always be driving a nearly-new car anyway because of their lifestyle choices, and don’t want the hassles of having to buy and sell every couple of years. These people pay the depreciation and damage costs on a regular basis anyway, whether they own or rent.

As for the car being parked up with the handbrake on most of the time, I only use my bedroom for a third of each day too, but I have no intention of leasing it out or sharing it with a stranger, because it is more important to preserve my own perceptions of cleanliness and good order of the fabric, the arrangement and security of things inside, and the flexibility to use it on demand at any time without planning.

Me too . Got tipped , opened cab door to get in and the wind got hold of it .caught the upper rear quarter of a parked car .swapped details ,informed office moved on . Regret that it happened but you cant turn back time.

Rjan:

yourhavingalarf:

trevHCS:

Personal leasing avoids…

How does leasing a new car, avoid paying for the depreciation of it?

And the reality of wear and tear may well prove to be costly. A colleague of mine has spent the last week expressing fury and playing detective to find who has scratched the side of her car in the works car park.

I suggested she just slap on some touch-up paint and forget about the issue - as I did myself a few months ago when I noted a scratch on my car.

And then my colleague dropped the bombshell - it’s a lease car that will eventually be returned, so any touch-up will have to be perfect and professional to avoid a fine.

And that’s where the hidden costs and risks creep in - costs which do not just involve money, but also potentially consume large amounts of time and aggravation.

The colleague in question has easily consumed half a day of her own effort already, sucking in others from the company too to check CCTV and listen to her outrage, not to mention her engaging in uncivil confrontations with people who may or may not be the culprits.

The only people leasing is suitable for, are those who would otherwise always be driving a nearly-new car anyway because of their lifestyle choices, and don’t want the hassles of having to buy and sell every couple of years. These people pay the depreciation and damage costs on a regular basis anyway, whether they own or rent.

As for the car being parked up with the handbrake on most of the time, I only use my bedroom for a third of each day too, but I have no intention of leasing it out or sharing it with a stranger, because it is more important to preserve my own perceptions of cleanliness and good order of the fabric, the arrangement and security of things inside, and the flexibility to use it on demand at any time without planning.

Congratulations, I really think you would struggle to find any more complete ■■■■■■■■ in a single post on the internet.

Should have been a pic attached , but apparently its too big ■■?

I see personal leasing as the modern equivalent of “Fur coat ,no drawers”. You are letting the world see what you have although its not really yours. Working men used to rent (lease) their houses and buy their cars. Other way around now.

We go somewhere that has cars parked badly and in the wrong places, after numerous incidents, our governor, sent the company a legal letter from the company insurance, saying any cars damaged, will not be payed out on, due to being parked in hgv areas,! Job sorted.

yourhavingalarf:

trevHCS:

Personal leasing avoids…

Avoids?? What else are you paying for with your couple of hundred pounds a month if it’s not the depreciation? The simplest way to avoid paying the significant depreciation on a new vehicle is to let some other mug pay it - e.g. by buying an ex-lease car at three years old…