MAN Units

Any of yous boys any experience with MAN TGX 26.480 units. I know there not Swedish but they seem good enough value. All comments greatly appreciated.

scania460:
Any of yous boys any experience with MAN TGX 26.480 units. I know there not Swedish but they seem good enough value. All comments greatly appreciated.[/q

keep well clear if its on EGR.

2014 ones have Ad Blue as well
Tipmatic is very poor, painful in fact

DAFMAD:

granted they can a bit slow but i wouldnt say they where any worse than Daf

chaversdad:

DAFMAD:

granted they can a bit slow but i wouldnt say they where any worse than Daf

I drive for a company who run just 80 MANs of various types , they are very good all round motors that give very little trouble , ( just watch out for the badge snobs !!! ) .

Well mines ok, comfortable to live in, as in loads of space,however they do seem a tad cheap and nasty and quite annoying when stuff falls off or breaks for no real reason. Ie door handles, fridge door, speaker covers. Mines got a new engine which makes it half decent, you pay for what you get and they are a fair price and I average about 8mpg and that’s what I work out not what the computer says. However I wouldn’t buy another, personal choice.

jarvo:
Well mines ok, comfortable to live in, as in loads of space,however they do seem a tad cheap and nasty and quite annoying when stuff falls off or breaks for no real reason. Ie door handles, fridge door, speaker covers. Mines got a new engine which makes it half decent, you pay for what you get and they are a fair price and I average about 8mpg and that’s what I work out not what the computer says. However I wouldn’t buy another, personal choice.

Can you tell us, what engine ? what gearbox, what year yours is and why you don’t want another ?

I think this chap is possibly looking for something newer to be honest, however mines a 56, 440. Not sure what the box is called, but that’s actually not horrendous, I have had worse. As long as you put it in MD or MR to manoeuvre it’s not bad anyway.

They will be as bad as Daf, same bloody awful autobox in Daf MAN and Iveco.

Not an OD, but i’ve driven lots and had my present 440 from new always at 44t when loaded, during which time just coming up to 280k it hasn’t given any trouble apart from engine recall work, which is only mentioned in whispers, as you would expect from VW.

Sometimes displays that every single major ECU in the motor has failed, but nowhere near as many spurious messages as an Iveco would show, and in fact none of them have failed yet.

Spent a few weeks tightening everything in the cab when it was new, various screws and bolts kept coming undone, door lock fell out that sort of thing, and the plastic trim is as flimsy as a 70’s Fiat car.

My honest opinion is not a bad motor so long as looked after by decent drivers, will not stand abuse or neglect by idiots like a Scania will, other MAN’s in the fleet not so well treated have spent literally weeks in the workshops, and the costs involved if you were paying have been high.

It is a 2008 480 tag axle.

We’ve got 8 x 440’s ranging from 2011 to 2013, all running without Adblu, apparently they couldn’t get the emissions down enough on the bigger BHP, some have had water leaks & have been back to MAN a fair few times.
As Juddian says, the plastics are Flimsy but are ok if looked after.
I drive one of 2 x 13 plates (the 2 newest) both have done around 190-200,000, both have been kept clean & looked after as much as we could, but they are used on the night trunk where they’ve suffered some damage/scrapes.
Steve’s 413 plate 440 has had the dreaded water leak problem but mine (touch wood) has been ok.
Engine Malfunction Warning comes up regularly, I think it’s to do with the fuel Filters, especially when it gets cold.
I tend to get 6-7 mpg at 40+ tons & around 11 when I’m light or empty.
The doors & front grill are fibre glass or plastic but the rest of the cab is metal & some of the older ones are showing some rust spots in places.
Our tanks hold 450 ltrs, so we’ve got around 1200-1300km (@ 3miles per ltr) not sure how big the 480 tanks are because of the Adblu tank, probably around 400 ltrs.
If I was running a fleet & had Decent Drivers, I would certainly consider MAN, they do the same job as the Swedish but cost quite a bit less (also don’t hold their value) but I would have thought that with the right drivers you should be able to get 5 years or more, out of one.

scania460:
It is a 2008 480 tag axle.

If its a tag axle theres a good chance its been on landfill work and it will have led a very hard life, worth checking before you commit yourself

martinviking:
Our tanks hold 450 ltrs, so we’ve got around 1200-1300km (@ 3miles per ltr) not sure how big the 480 tanks are because of the Adblu tank, probably around 400 ltrs.

Same size diesel tank as the adblue tank is on the other side where the battery box would normally be ( at least mine is)

Martin your mpg seems a bit low, i.ve just done Teeside to Inverness loaded both ways and returned 8.9mpg for the trip, although mine is a 540 rather than the 440

chaversdad:

martinviking:

Same size diesel tank as the adblue tank is on the other side where the battery box would normally be ( at least mine is)

Martin your mpg seems a bit low, i.ve just done Teeside to Inverness loaded both ways and returned 8.9mpg for the trip, although mine is a 540 rather than the 440

Those figures were from memory, just checked my spreadsheet & the worst was 6.682 mpg on a tank full/44 tons & the best was 11.501, it’s not easy to work out my average, because the night Trunkers use the wagon & they rarely fill her up & if there’s enough go go juice left in her I wait until she’s on a quarter, I know that they get around 7 mpg pulling a 16ft double decker with Palletline pallets, guessing between 30-40 tons gross.
I reckon that I’m averaging around 9 mpg, but it all depends how much weight we’re carrying & the height of the trailers. We’ve just brought 10 x 14’10" high trailers & are in the process of getting rid of most of the 14’2" high trailers, the wind deflectors hav’nt been changed yet so it’ll be interesting to see what the mpg is, over the next couple of months.
I’m not close coupled, we’ve got a job that keeps wiping out the run up ramps on a ramp down to the bay, costing about £300 to replace, so I’ve left my 5th wheel in the middle of the rack.
I think the 540’s are probably better on fuel economy, don’t rev so high, didn’t the prove it back I’m the 80’s when every one was using 290’s & 310’s, they decided that a bigger engine saves fuel, that’s why there’s a lot of 400+BHP & 500+BHP motors now & they last longer.

I drive a 2012 MAN TGX 480XXL SCR,
475k and goes well and been reliable for me and previous driver.
Plenty of room in the cab and Fleetboard reg above 8.5mpg on fridge work reg well loaded with Hanging/boxed beef etc.

Great pulling motor as not much will sit with her on hills in equivalent HP bracket and can hold her own with FH500s/R500s. :sunglasses:

Plastic trim is on cheap side esp the brackets on overhead lockers :exclamation: :exclamation: :cry:

Can I hijack the thread and ask a couple of question from you MAN lads
(1) Is there an easy way to reattach the bottom corner trims on the front bumpers
(2) Do anyone do a protective plate for the back of the chassis (behind the 5th wheel)?

Oh and to the OP I am by no means a Scania/Volvo snob but am no fan of the MAN, each to their own and they are probably fine for trunking/motorway work, but that’s not what I do.

renaultman:
(2) Do anyone do a protective plate for the back of the chassis (behind the 5th wheel)?

i just had a peice of chequer plate cut to size to box it in on my last MAN , havent got round to it yet with this latest one

chaversdad:

renaultman:

i just had a peice of chequer plate cut to size to box it in on my last MAN , havent got round to it yet with this latest one

That’s what I was thinking. I don’t drive the units and they don’t drop trailers very often but they’re 11 plate sleepers and there lools a lot more to demolish than the 60 plate day cabs I’m used to. As an O/DI feel sure that you’re very careful and was worried that Ali chequer plate might not be Man :smiley: enough to stand a clowt off a pin?

Standard pick up ramps not ensure the pin clears?

Ramps are an option on the Tgx and a lot of fleets dont spec them, i.ve got some here to fit over the holidays as i.m not a fan of being without, i.ll then get some chequerplate cut to fill the gap, if you buy the thick stuff it will take a lot of abuse