MAN 440 v MAN 480

Our company are swapping in a load of MAN 440,s for MAN 480,s because they believe these will be more fuel efficient overall. We do quite a lot of cross country driving as well as the normal motorway trunking so does anyone think that a bigger engine would be more fuel efficient :question: :confused: :confused: :confused:

bigger engine will require less gear changes and will lug lower down aswell so if driven properly you never know. mind you if you tank ■■■■ out of it then it’ll probably be worse

At the very least the extra oomph should be nice

i reckon 480(V8) will definitely pull better- its got more torque- less struggle- better mpg…

myself driven 440 from new over a year now…this motor somewhat lacks liveliness…mpg is not the best either… could be gearbox as well though

markoyl:
i reckon 480(V8) will definitely pull better- its got more torque- less struggle- better mpg…

I’m pretty sure the 480 isn’t a V8.

I haven’t found any variation of the MAN engine to be particularly powerful in my experience.

Personally, I take what I’m given and just plod along and get good fuel consumption that way rather than by changing the vehicle at a cost of several thousands of pounds to achieve nothing.

youngwithaclass1:

markoyl:

I’m pretty sure the 480 isn’t a V8.

i can guarantee its not a V8

In theory yes a more powerful engine should labour less and return better mpg, but i think its a fine balance. The driver being a very important part of the equasion.

Who do you work for Bald Bloke?

john_costigan:

Measurably the best.

bald bloke:

john_costigan:

Measurably the best.

Ahh! You have a certain dairy next door.

440 is the biggest engine you can get without adblue from MAN. So the extra cost of the adblue for the 480 will probably offset any fuel saving (if such a saving does exist).

Our guys changed from Volvo FM 400s to the Man 440’s and publish all the telematics on the wall of the drivers waiting room. I don’t think the fuel improvement quite lives up the to the promises made by MAN.

We all keep telling our TM if our company wants to save on fuel the way to do it is to change the planners, its incredable sometimes all the empty running we do and how we criss cross other drivers doing collections when we could of done them and saved on miles. :confused:

WildGoose:
440 is the biggest engine you can get without adblue from MAN. So the extra cost of the adblue for the 480 will probably offset any fuel saving (if such a saving does exist)

I’m pretty sure that isn’t right either i’ve seen plents of 480’s on 60reg and 10reg without adblue.

What is the adblue for any way? I thought it had something to do with the hydraulics on my DAF.

Its pigs ■■■■ for the exhaust emissions.

I’m pretty sure that isn’t right either i’ve seen plents of 480’s on 60reg and 10reg without adblue.

Not according to the literature from MAN on the website.

Here is a link to the TGX brochure, check the last page.
mantruckandbus.co.uk/datapoo … _final.pdf

They may have updated the range, but I don’t think our place would have got the 440, if they could have had the 480 without adblue.

if you get a man 440 you dont need adblue but some have got the 480 and had it down rated to either 440 or 460 cant remember excat power they have had down rated to but it stops the need for adblue but they still get the torque off the 480 engine.

I drive a 480, it definitely isn’t a V8 (wish it was though). Doesn’t have adblue either. However, it does pull like a freight train which i put down to it being run ragged from day 1! :smiley:

Here’s the place to find some good info on the spec: Bodybuilder - MAN Truck & Bus UK Ltd

Just took delivery of the 440 and a comparison: Four of us used a R420 Scanny and also had use of an R500 V8

My opinions for what they are worth (I know, not much ha ha) but: Scania, yeah must say sorry to see it go, but near 900k’s and two year old but still drove mint. The box (Auto) well enough said, did or will they ever make a good one in a motor? Best one Ive ever driven (auto) has to be the Volvo, anyways.

The cab at first glance lovely black and silver trim, good size bunk bottom bunk and a good size top one if you get the high(er) top. Cab space is limited if youre a tramper. Three boxes at the top and under the bunk.Two not bad side boxes. Unless you get the proper fridge option the store box aint worth a light, pointless waste of space. Two large drwas at the front, and two Hella plugs (12v-24v) good aswell as the cig lighter.

The drive: The box( although auto) IMHO is smooth but at least the scanny had the option of the DH (Drive high) in auto enabling you to get more out of a shift in auto. Reversing takes some getting use to, (as per other post) two modes and no clutch! I personally dont like this (you at least get to know where a clutch bites and picks up). But after a couple of screw ups youre on the money, most times. Moreover, it also has a tendency to stall when you ■■■■■■ a trailer when hooking up!

Like the the exhaust-brake (which can be over-ridden).

Its also has an anti slide back system on the box which anit worth a light, you have to floor it on a slight slope to stop it rolling back.

Incidentally, drove the manual (comfort) box (MAN) bout 4 year ago and it was ok, not great but ok.

The donkey: 420 scanny with 900,000k and split brand new 440 MAN, just clocked up 4,000k this week. Sorry 20 less horses but still more poke and deep end grunt. Use to carry 25 pallets of cheese (near at the weight limit) on the back of scanny and even on a fair hill up Shap way when all eight legs were on the floor I’d pass many motors. To be fair up to now the 440 has done ok but again it does fall short.

Personally I like the look of the MAN over the Scanny but in honesty I think they are oceans apart, the build quality of the Scanny takes some living up to. Just bits like the windows are sticking, silly windscreen blinds with bits of pull- string, side blind made of plastic, stuff you feel you have to be careful with instead of just jumping in and driving it, scanny feels more solid and if you take the same motors after similar mileage, well…

To sum up, the MAN is a nice motor, driven better and driven a lot worse. Havent looked at the price comparison to buy/rent/lease. As regards the fuel job, well, one tank and no ad-pig-■■■■. It holds 450 ltrs, and I would say its running at the moment 2-3mpg better than the Scanny, at the moment given I do similar runs from south to Scotch daily.

I’m certainly not unhappy getting my Aris in a brand new motor. Love the smell of it. Ive not stopped polishing it!! (pics to follow) And Im not completely running it down just comparing the two. But yeah I suppose thats like comparing Marilyn Monroe with Jordan. One looks the part and one definately is the real deal.IMHO :laughing: