MAN 26.440 Euro 4 Exhaust Box

Hi

I run a fleet of DAF tractors and have not had the need to buy an exhaust box for one - ever.

Having bought an 07 Reg MAN Euro 4 back in February to use as a spare truck, I put it into the local MAN dealer for MOT recently.

Although she is 6 years old, she’s only done 300000 Kim’s and is very clean - however I was told she wanted an exhaust box to pass the test and when I asked how much, I was told NINE THOUSAND POUNDS!!! (I only gave £11K for the truck).

I tried Imex who told me that MAn had blocked their supplier from selling them to third parties, therefore I had no option but to go to MAN!

I spoke to MAN again who said they could, at a push, get one for a little over £7200!!

I declined their generous offer and took a chance and put it in for test - it did pass, but I will need to buy an exhaust box sooner rather than later.

Does anyone know where I can buy a cheaper exhaust?

Thanks

K

I just had a search on google for you. Found a company called etl automotive 08455194624. Various boxes so I don’t know exactly what you’d need but prices where £4,000-£5,000. Hope it’s off some help.

if the truck went through the test what is the problem with the box?

Remove your exhaust box(it actually is a Diesel Particulate filter)…it is blocked with soot. Get a good fabricator to cut it open. The filters inside are made of a stainless steel type of material. Clean it out. Reweld and refit to your truck. You will notice a marked improvement in both performance and fuel economy…and it will loose its appetite for cracking turbocharger shafts.

In a few years we will be cleaning clogged exhaust boxes of every type of truck on the market as emission systems get tighter

If you shoved an earlier cheaper non-dpf one on would it get spotted on test?

riverstick, will these trucks go through the emissions test with a “bit less in the box”? many folk including me take the soot trap out on cars landrovers without any problems
I ask as a welder fabricator among other things
moose

Moose:
riverstick, will these trucks go through the emissions test with a “bit less in the box”? many folk including me take the soot trap out on cars landrovers without any problems
I ask as a welder fabricator among other things
moose

Yes they do…but you must be careful as these trucks have a Variable Geometry Turbo(VGT), and these units are set in the ECU to deal with a certain amount of back pressure. If you are unlucky, you can ‘overspeed’ the turbo. The correct way is to remap the engine to ‘tell it’ that it no longer has a DPF. The safest way for general maintenance is to clean out the DPF. It is okay to remove a little back pressure…the truck will respond positively…but don’t remove everything.

The truck will still pass all MOT and related emission tests with flying colours. In fact when the DPF’s are blocked they get smokey.

What you must remember is the DPF is only a soot filter. Most are ‘regenerating’(where they heat up internally to burn off the excess soot), but they will eventually become totally plugged.

Lol, MAN, don’t ya love em :slight_smile:

In canada i had a freightliner that needed a bew one of these filters. A snip at $13000.
Incidently the engine and emissions system on this truck is what the euro6 Merc actros will use.

are we talking the big silencer box with the actual exhaust outlet at the bottom?
mine was cracking and rotten at the bottom last year so I just got a 2nd hand one from a breaker for £100 or am I looking at the wrong thing here?

oops, just realised mines euro3 and the op is asking about euro4

I Can tell you i had a 2007 480 and put a euro 3 box on made by dinex it ran just the same

Could MANs be possibly the worst truck out there,Ive had 2 TGSs and sadly still have 1. Must be a mechanics dream.

Pursy

Mate of mine had same thing on euro 4 480 07 plate

In end put standard exhaust on under £500
Passed 2 mots no problems and just been part ex last week
Still running fine

I have just sold a 2007 euro 4 complete truck with blown engine for £3250 and it had 4 brand new tyres on, and very tidy truck

Thanks for all your replies guys - these MAN’s frighten the life out of me regarding parts prices, I certainly won’t be buying any more.

The MAN dealers tell me the casing of my exhaust is rotten, but the stainless inside is OK, so perhaps I can have it welded up in some way - its not blowing, just doesn’t look good apparently.

Cheers

K

MAN any good!

It would be a shame if some clumsy driver damaged it, by say reversing the corner of a trailer into it and you had to claim on your insurance then :wink:

Considering all the trouble they cause,seem to break down frequently and and the huge cost parts and servicing, I think they should change the name to woMAN :laughing:

markwill:
I have just sold a 2007 euro 4 complete truck with blown engine for £3250 and it had 4 brand new tyres on, and very tidy truck

yeah but he wont break it he said he wants to sell the cab complete (who he thinks is going to want to recab a 6 or 7 year old truck is beyond me)

pursy:
Could MANs be possibly the worst truck out there,Ive had 2 TGSs and sadly still have 1. Must be a mechanics dream.

Pursy

I really could not imagine this quote ever being made back in the F90/F2000 generation of MAN trucks, what has gone so drastically wrong since then?. Is it just a case of the more technology the more to go wrong?.