MAN 26.440 Euro 4 Exhaust Box

NB12:

pursy:
Could MANs be possibly the worst truck out there,Ive had 2 TGSs and sadly still have 1. Must be a mechanics dream.

Pursy

I really could not imagine this quote ever being made back in the F90/F2000 generation of MAN trucks, what has gone so drastically wrong since then?. Is it just a case of the more technology the more to go wrong?.

So true, and the model previous to that and older still, 331 i used extensively went like a scalded cat and was simply unbreakable.

I don’t think they are a bad motor, but fare better in the hands of people who take good care of them, drivers and mechanics.

MANs seem to be everywhere in the last year or so- but is parts costs the sting in the tail? It’s all ok if your on lease/hire with maintenance, but it ■■■■■ for ODs. Also if this is across the board will it hurt second hand value?

If you owned an man with full r&m would they be worth it?

ellies dad:
If you owned an man with full r&m would they be worth it?

Not sure but would suspect you wouldn’t see as big discount over the other makes in that scenario.

I would say part of the problem is their mistake in going down the EGR route. Some parts are expensive but this isn’t really a typical example as effectively a DPF will be pricey on any make. The price someone on here was quoted for an air drier was eye-watering too but I’d say things like bumpers and steps are in line with everyone else and quite a few pattern parts are available.

So where are the pressure differential sensing units on this Euro 4 DPF?
Or does it just run through a “burn off” cycle when it feels like it?

I would say part of the problem is their mistake in going down the EGR route.

And to think AD -NOTHING was their selling point …I have saw on you tube that MAN claim to have .sorry I don’t know how to do links etc

for EURO 6 you are looking at 20 grand for the complete exhaust system,it is basically a 4 piece system ,you will have a DOC (DIESEL OXIDATION CAT ) DPF (DIESEL PARTICULATE FILTER ) SCR (SELECTIVE CATALYST REDUCTION ) & a AMOX CAN’T REMEMBER,PROBABLY SOMETHING TO DO WITH AMONIA OXIDE ,.With the DPF it will require cleaning after so long ,though it will burn the soot in a regeneration ,it can’t get rid of the ash,so that will require cleaning …How that will be done is still being looked in to ,will a dealer have a clean one to fit ,then yours is sent away to be cleaned ,or depending on cost ,will the dealer have the equiptment to clean them.For euro 7 !!! there will be no reduction in NOX as it is impossible to get it any lower ,if anyone wants I will give the figures from start of the EURO to now on NOX suffice to say what leaves the exhaust is cleaner than the air going in through the air filter ,EURO 7 will be an attack on particulates /soot

norb:
I would say part of the problem is their mistake in going down the EGR route.

And to think AD -NOTHING was their selling point …I have saw on you tube that MAN claim to have .sorry I don’t know how to do links etc

for EURO 6 you are looking at 20 grand for the complete exhaust system,it is basically a 4 piece system ,you will have a DOC (DIESEL OXIDATION CAT ) DPF (DIESEL PARTICULATE FILTER ) SCR (SELECTIVE CATALYST REDUCTION ) & a AMOX CAN’T REMEMBER,PROBABLY SOMETHING TO DO WITH AMONIA OXIDE ,.With the DPF it will require cleaning after so long ,though it will burn the soot in a regeneration ,it can’t get rid of the ash,so that will require cleaning …How that will be done is still being looked in to ,will a dealer have a clean one to fit ,then yours is sent away to be cleaned ,or depending on cost ,will the dealer have the equiptment to clean them.For euro 7 !!! there will be no reduction in NOX as it is impossible to get it any lower ,if anyone wants I will give the figures from start of the EURO to now on NOX suffice to say what leaves the exhaust is cleaner than the air going in through the air filter ,EURO 7 will be an attack on particulates /soot

I don’t think MAN are alone with this. We will see these systems and their associated problems with other manufacturers products in the not too distant future. While I firmly believe EGR is evil to your engine, SCR on the other hand hasn’t exactly been trouble free either. Plenty faulty/seized adblue pumps, trucks derating, faulty exhaust boxes etc…plus the cost of all those litres of adblue that disappeared out the exhaust pipe. I don’t blame any particular manufacturer for these systems. I think these are mediocre stop gap solutions to satisfy some politician looking for a populus environmental vote by claiming ‘dirty trucks’ are now cleaner due to their emission laws.

I do think the various manufacturers will eventually perfect a low maintenance efficient emission system…however it is some way away currently…and political interference with unrealistic targets is not helping.

yep the biggest problem is politicans …there isn’t any system that is trouble free…technically SCR allowed the engine to run pre EURO regs ,so it could be technicaly a dirty as it wanted ,and the scr cleaned it up…a lot of the time scr faults aren’t hard to diagnoise .the problem generally being diagnoising a NOX sensor reading wrong or the CAT not converting…though SCR is better for the engine