Maintaining polished alloys

Ok so I know the obvious answer to this post is to polish them often, but everyone seems to use different polishes and different types of cloths so was wondering what the people on here prefer. Just got a new trailer with polished alloys and want to keep them looking smart.

So what are your tried and tested methods to keep them looking tip top?

Cheers
Matt.

If they are durabrite rims then they reckon soap and water.
But,if they are not, then stopping the salt attacking them is difficult in my opinion,my answer with mine is to purchase a can of oil that is branded as Alcoa.
Basically after washing the wheels you apply this stuff with a cloth,it doesn’t take long,well not as long as polishing anyway and come the spring you can give them a good polish.
Note: I saw gritters on the M 62 on Friday night!

Gritters :open_mouth: :open_mouth:
If gritters are on the way then the best thing to do is to cover the wheels in grease. Yes, it makes you look like a scruffy outfit through winter but come spring a quick steam clean will have the wheels looking like new.

There is great product for cleaning them and it ends in sol…cant remember it’s full name though.

Lusk:
If gritters are on the way then the best thing to do is to cover the wheels in grease. Yes, it makes you look like a scruffy outfit through winter but come spring a quick steam clean will have the wheels looking like new.

There is great product for cleaning them and it ends in sol…cant remember it’s full name though.

Autosol

Our rims have some coating to keep the shine providing we take them through the wash regularly, I made a huge mistake earlier this year by polishing my front wheels which is something I have never done before and now I have to re-polish them regularly otherwise they tarnish and fade.
If you get them from new don’t polish them, just wash them.

Try Poor boys world wheel sealant, its available on ebay,and is a pink paste,which not only polishes but creates a barrier seal to stop dirt and grit etc attacking wheels, we use this regularly on durabrites and doesnt affect them in slightest.

Brasso on the fuel tank. Like a mirror

If they are new make sure they are not Durabrights before polishing them. Most new alloys are now it seems. Well, Alcoa ones. Durabrights are amazing, never polished mine, just wash them and they are as shiny as they rolled out the factory over a year ago. But don’t polish Durabrights.

in the first couple of weeks of getting my durabrights I gave them a good few coats of wax polish, now all I have to do is wipe then over with a bucket and sponge and a quick wipe over with wax again. the wax just keeps a barrier and holds the dirt off making it easier to clean and not ingrain :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

Ive never done anything but wash mine and they are still spotless. The inventor of Durabrights is a genius!

Durabrites look great for a while until they get stone chipped and then the weather gets under the laquer and they start to go . Saying that still 100 times better than having to polish them every 5 minutes. It’s not that I would knock anyone for polishing their wheels all the time, it’s me that’s idle and not got the required dedication :smiley: :smiley:

They are not alcoa wheels so they definitely aren’t durabrites. These are SAF wheels on a Fruehauf trailer.

Are Alcoa not now saying they have invented a better finish than Durabright?

Autosol, Maguires or Peek, anything with a bit of ‘grit’ in it, to keep the brake dust and crap out, and Autoglym metal polish for the shine

this
alcoa.com/alcoawheels/europe … lcare6.asp
may be worth a punt, or something like WD40 during the winter to help keep salt and crap out.

xfmatt:
They are not alcoa wheels so they definitely aren’t durabrites. These are SAF wheels on a Fruehauf trailer.

There are some made by X-Lite who’s alternative to Alcoa Durabrite are called X-Brite.

Tipper Tom:

Lusk:

Autosol

Ta :grimacing: :grimacing:

Lusk:

Tipper Tom:

Lusk:

Autosol

Ta :grimacing: :grimacing:

Yw

Lusk:

arse sol
also known as drivers who polish the gaffers wheels

green456:

Lusk:

arse sol

Yep taking a pride in ones vehicle makes you an arse hole. No wonder things are so bad for drivers with this us vs them mentality.

switchlogic:

green456:

Lusk:

arse sol

Yep taking a pride in ones vehicle makes you an arse hole. No wonder things are so bad for drivers with this us vs them mentality.

+1

Ever noticed how those who take a pride in their work, and that includes keeping the vehicle well, usually manage to stay in good well paid work throughout their working lives doing by and large what they want to do.