Magnum problems... Unusual i know

Hello all, i am new to this forum so if i’ve posted this question in the wrong place please do tell me… i’m a driver i’m used to being in the wrong place! :laughing: I may be new to the forum but sadly not driving, having been an owner driver (small haulier) for nearly 20 years i wonder if anyone can identify with a problem i am having with one of my Magnums. It has been stood now for just under two years (i’ve owned it from new) due to not being required, hindsight i should have run it up from time to time but batteries went flat and so on. I have now decided to resurrect her so new batteries fitted and spun over like she used too but not firing, OK lets bleed her… won’t bleed, OK low on fuel so fuel lines straight into diesel can… won’t bleed… HELP!!! any ideas out there. I feel silly really i should be able to find the problem myself and am very “hands on” when it comes to working on these but i am truly flumaxed. I really don’t want to ask the chap who works on my other trucks because it will then be hauled into his workshop which is not what i want… another big bill.
Would respectively appreciate any pro active advice.
All the best
Simon. :smiley:

its posted in the wrong section… BUT!

I would think there might be a reset button somewhere, i know renault cars can be a pig if they have been run out of fuel, and there is a reset somewhere for the pump, have a look in the handbook!

Cheers

B…

Tilt the cab and you will find a primer, should be pretty obvious.

Give it a good 100 pumps or so if it’s dry.

Thanks for the replies… i’m struggling to keep up!, any idea which forum i should be on? if you know i will move the posting. Problem with tilting the cab as she is inside with limited headroom. Where abouts is the primer? i’ve been pumping the lift pump thats situated near the filters (next to the cab tilt switch) sorry to sound vague… :confused:
Many thanks
Simon.

Leave it alone.I am calling it a day this weekend and have a Magnum that works for sale,cheap.

Crack the fuel lines and spin her over,if there’s diesel there,she should go,maybe change the filter too.Hammer the lift pump until its hard.

Sounds like Bking could be best to help?

He’ll be along soon. :laughing: :laughing:

Crack the fuel lines and spin her over,if there’s diesel there,she should go,maybe change the filter too.Hammer the lift pump until its hard.

Tilt the cab and you will find a primer, should be pretty obvious.

Give it a good 100 pumps or so if it’s dry.

No need for the cab over you have found the primer by the filters.
First thing i would be checking is the fuel if its been standing that long.

Have the fuel filters of due s change by now, put new ones on with fresh fuel in them and prime.

Check out air filter for nests!

Renault - Mack or Volvo engine ■■ What year is it :question:

What engine is in it? On some trucks if the filter is empty no matter how much you prime it it wont build enough fuel to fire as the return to the tank is as big if not bigger than the feed line and the return line is lower than the feed.Merc are like this.

Simple way to do it is to kink the return line with a tie wrap to restrict return flow so the lift pump stands a chance of building a head of diesel that can be fed to the pump/pumps or injectors.The high flow of circulating fuel is used to pass through the engine ecu to keep the power capacitors cool that trigger the pumps or injector coils.
When the engine fires up cut the tie wrap to allow normal return flow.

Thanks chaps for the advice so far, have changed and filled filters but doesn’t seem to be priming… i wonder if the lift pump is at fault? she is a 1999 with a 430 Mack (sorry should have mentioned) i have done just under a million kms in this truck all over europe in my ownership since new… never missed a beat! Bless her its my fault i shouldn’t have left her stand so long. As i previously mentioned, i have put both pipes into a fuel can to ensure the fuel is there to pump but it seems to be blowing out of the lines instead of sucking (you can hear bubbleing when you prime) it all seems to point to lift pump■■?
Once again, thanks again!!!

She’s probably just sulking as you ignored her for so long after a million clicks together, just whisper sweet nothing’s in to her pump and I’m sure she’ll be sucking diesel by the end of the day.

Hiya …dose she have an electric cut off on the pump i’d go for that. diesel can be donkeys years
old and still fire up…lift pumps(mechanical) nowt to go wrong their. 2 years standing i’d go for
electrics every time.as long as nothing’s been going on with the pipe work.
John

As you mentioned, she probably is sulking and is protesting against the lack of attention :laughing: I’ve tried whispering sweet nothings and the promise of an test certificate if she’s good but still digging her super singles in! I will try kinking the return, there is a lot of logic in what you say and you never know that may just do it. What ever, she needs to stop sulking as i can’t stand it anymore :laughing:

The last time that I had a Magnum a piece of chocolate fell off and made a mess of my white shirt.

3300John:
Hiya …dose she have an electric cut off on the pump i’d go for that. diesel can be donkeys years
old and still fire up…lift pumps(mechanical) nowt to go wrong their. 2 years standing i’d go for
electrics every time.as long as nothing’s been going on with the pipe work.
John

Yes, shut off valve, should here it click if your next to it and someone on the ignition. Back to basics, fuel line to injection pump into can above pump, forget lift pump and filters. Would a 1999 Mack engine have an Ecu, probably not.

some Magnums have got 2 lift pumps fitted due to the length of the fuel line from the tank to the injector pump

alamcculloch:
The last time that I had a Magnum a piece of chocolate fell off and made a mess of my white shirt.

thats why you should always have a white magnum. :wink: