Magazines

Muckaway:
A subscription to Trucking would be likely in my caase than T&D.

Even though all you do is whine and ■■■■■ about magazines in general :unamused:

Oh I get it…You made a joke there, what with this being a website run by the parent company of the other magazines, yeah, you funny joke man :unamused:

I cannot get the magazines on the shelf, due to my location, a subscription would work, but sometimes I would give an issue a miss if there’s nothing of interest to me, so a pay as you go deal would work better for me :wink:

The content in T&D has gone downhill (especially now the best contributor has gone, Shobba), hence I’ve cancelled my subscription.

I may be tempted back at the right price, but the content must improve, It’s started to turn into a hardcopy cpc course!

Currently subscribe to Evo, They did three issues for £1 about a year back and I just never cancelled it. Also often look at the free offers that some mags give away.

Otherwise I’ll ocasionally pick one up if I’m in a newsagents and it catches my eye.

Newmercman; I mentioned Trucking because when I do buy truck mags that’s more likely the one I’ll buy. I’m not into looking at kids’ drawings on reading van reviews or what cd has been released by a group I’ve never heard of. Mentioning Trucking though, their Truck v Truck features need to stop trying to appease the manufacturers and actually say if a truck is superior to the other one not this “if we did this we’d choose that” wishy washy crap.

Muckaway:
Newmercman; I mentioned Trucking because when I do buy truck mags that’s more likely the one I’ll buy. I’m not into looking at kids’ drawings on reading van reviews or what cd has been released by a group I’ve never heard of. Mentioning Trucking though, their Truck v Truck features need to stop trying to appease the manufacturers and actually say if a truck is superior to the other one not this “if we did this we’d choose that” wishy washy crap.

I agree, it’s either a test or it isn’t. I don’t know why Trucking feels the need to ■■■■ up to the manufacturers, none of the publications owned by the lot that run this site have ever bowed down to them, if their lorry is junk, it is called junk, if one is better than than another, it goes in print, CM has been testing for over 100yrs following that principle, TRUCK did the same for nearly 30yrs :wink:

However the magazine that you seem to want doesn’t exist anymore, more people are interested in silly paintjobs and chromed up 620 8 wheel tippers, so T&D is what it is and I reckon that as long as it continues to be the best selling lorry magazine, that’s how it’ll stay :open_mouth:

As Mark knows i have been doing truck tests for a few years for the magazines

1. you dont just to get to drive the truck, you have a “minder” from the manufacturer who will criticise every time you attempt to drive outside what they feel is correct
  2. on every such drive the minders report back on the testers- if you are not felt to be driving their vehicle in the best light- you dont get the chance to drive one again

I did a rather scathing report on a certain light tipper and the day after it went into print I was removed from their e-mail list and have never had an invite back to do a test drive on any of their vehicles since.

We get round that by “borrowing” operators vehicles, and then the manufacturers complain that they havent been able to prepare the vehicles for test and therefore the trial wasnt valid :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :wink:

I can say hand on heart that I have never been told/asked to tone down or amend my thoughts on a truck by T&D or CM in case we upset the advertisers- if its not good we will say so

I used to like how truck done there truck in service speak to three operators a few years in to ownership and see how the truck stands up once the warranty is up.
I probaly would subscribe if there was say a third off the cover prices I normally pick up a copy and flick through and see if there is much of intreats to me.

Will be interesting to see :wink:
We will be setting up a promo code and posting the link on here to give the lowest price we can both for CM and T&D

It will be equivilent to getting a few free copies each year over what you would pay at the newsagent

If this works and enough take up the offer then I have ammunition for next year to make it even more attractive :wink:

kr79:
I used to like how truck done there truck in service speak to three operators a few years in to ownership and see how the truck stands up once the warranty is up.
I probaly would subscribe if there was say a third off the cover prices I normally pick up a copy and flick through and see if there is much of intreats to me.

That was Bob Tuck’s thing, he did a good job of that. I started a similar thing where we followed four lorries for the first year in their life, it was hard work though, trying to meet up with each lorry to get photos and find out all the stuff I wanted to know for each issue was a challenge, it came out very well in the magazine though.

Oh and Rikki, I never heard a peep from any of the babysitters, the ultimate accolade for a road tester as you know :laughing:

Commercial Motor delivered through the door by the local newsagent weekly here, and always a fight to see who gets it first.

T&D and Trucking bought as impulse buys as and when finances allow.

T&D is the usual ‘treat’ I get to say sorry :smiley: …I can remember when females got flowers or chocolates :unamused:

Pat

Iv started to buy Earthmover alot now

Legend_Scania:

I’ll keep a lookout for that; Do you think I’ll get my Cat in it without buying spotlights and dream catchers? :laughing:

Muckaway:

Legend_Scania:

I’ll keep a lookout for that; Do you think I’ll get my Cat in it without buying spotlights and dream catchers? :laughing:

Depends on the wheel trims :open_mouth:

newmercman:

Muckaway:

Legend_Scania:

Depends on the wheel trims :open_mouth:

Cough big yellow split-rims; Two new rear tyres last week at a cost of about £4k.

peirre:
Wheres the “I read it stood in W H Smiths on a 45, and put it back after I`ve finished” option?

Thats about where I stand mag-wise, especially since T&D finished the Shobba cartoon. :imp:

Legend_Scania:

Just bought Earthmover; No bling or kids’ scribbles.

I buy by Content.Sometimes not and sometimes one of each

I lookied at this months T &D in my local Tesco, i like to see what is in the mag before i buy it, but as it was wrapped in plastic bag, i just put it back. how can I read the index thouhg the cover?

We have a decision from the powers that be :slight_smile:

We will be offering a discounted subscription for TruckNet members and those who use our Facebook and twitter pages

If enough take it up we will keep it going but to be viable enough have to take advantage of it - if enough dont then it will go, we simply cant give the stuff away

The links and promo codes will go up next week, it is vital that you use the correct promo code so I can show that offering it via TruckNet is being taken up as opposed to other sources.

The discount will be in the region of 35% to get this, a subscription for the year needs to be taken out.- we cant do it for individual issues

The offer will be for available Truck & Driver, Commercial Motor and Motor Transport- the first one being the one we expect most will want, but you can take up more than one offer if you wish… just be sure to use the correct promo codes if asked ( most online links we set up will do it automaticaly - but if you do it by phone please use the right one).

truckerjon:
I lookied at this months T &D in my local Tesco, i like to see what is in the mag before i buy it, but as it was wrapped in plastic bag, i just put it back. how can I read the index thouhg the cover?

I’ve always believed a shrink wrapped mag means they don’t want you to realise there’s naff all in them.
On reading other peoples, this has proved to be true.
35% discount sounds a good deal, I wont put my name down but I’ll keep looking in WHSmith to see what the mags have in them…