M62 junctions 25 to 24. WARNING

MADBAZ:

thelorryist:
Had a memo from our central transport team today.

M62 WEST BOUND.

Drivers of. Vehicles over 6’6" wise are currently not allowed to use lanes 2 or 3

Police are actively stopping any HGV drivers who are ignoring the warnings and dealing with them by means if fixed penalty notices.

It’s not a wind up or a MMTM.

It’s a genuine point. You will see for your selves. There are warnings at

800 yards. 600/400/200 yards etc. then after that all HGVs are required to use lane 1 only.

■■?

I assume they mean the outside lane (which is lane 2 going under the M1), not a problem as I usually come off at j28 anyhow, but you do get tossers coming down off R/B & M1 - M62 w/b slip expecting you to move over, I adjust my speed to let some filter, pick my slot, stick the l/h indicator on and let those coming on to the M62 decide if they want to crash/stop or slot in behind :open_mouth: . Tbh the bit around the M1 has never been a problem with accidents either most peeps know what they’re doing or it’s going too slow for anything major, the problems seem to happen between J28 & J26 as peeps come roaring up the slips or cutting everyone up to get off, BTW only seen one Eastern European truck in lane 3 on that stretch.

I did want to say p o l i s h , but I think Orys’ keyword alert will pick up on it :wink:

Alas, the software alert doesn’t cater for spaces in words, so you’re busted anyway. :stuck_out_tongue: :laughing:

As for not using lanes 2 and 3, if it’s Dixon and London then you can’t use lane 1 either. :unamused:

I didn’t see these signs, and I was in lane two going up that hill earlier today. Is it being done by plod in cars or are the SPECS cameras monitoring it?

If its plod I am fine. If its specs I am buggered.

maybe the want to make it to just 2 lanes , but wider

insted of the 3 , what will those panicky girls do when they cant get in , just stop ■■? that will be intresting

I had a good look at this restricted stretch today.
The only signs are those at 800/600/400/200 yards.
There is no sign or signs to inform you that you have come to the end of the restriction.
(obviously it’s the end of the temporary 3 lane stretch but there should be signs).
So I think if plod are enforcing this they are pulling someones pants down.
And No, meantime I’m not giving them the benefit of the doubt.

Did we really need a thread warning us of a huge amount of roadsigns telling us the same thing.

Next i’ll be seeing a topic warning me there’s a speed limit somewhere…ffs.

The bosses have obviously seen the comments etc made about these roadworks, and have made a short “youtube” video to answer the questions.

it’s here;… http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnolKc6Cz5Q

I’ve said it before, managed motorways dont work. In short they confuse people greatly. If you are having a managed motorway then do away with the hard shoulder and just manage the lanes. If a vehicle breaks down then close the lane(s).

Another fault is that in peak times when there is a break down they shut the hard shoulder off. Tonight in Birmingham there was a car just short of the m54 slip north bound but they closed the hard shoulder off totally. The weird thing was that up till j9 the overhead signs were working and then nothing… Not even the one that says Hard shoulder for emergencies only ! I know they weren’t working as a mile up the road the both inside lane and hard shoulder signs had gone out whilst the outside 2 were working. Then the next gantry was messed up again, looked like a computer glitch which resulted in 1 or 2 people driving down the hard shoulder but you couldn’t blame them.

400 people over 15 miles, my toe, I barely see 20 on any given trip on nights and less than 100 much less any other given time. The video makes me cringe while they try and justify this completely farcical project, even if they did have 400 blokes on the job (which they clearly don’t day to day) are they seriously expecting us to understand why the project is taking 4 years rather than banging in a couple of thousand blokes and doing it in six months, even a couple of thousand blokes spread over 15 miles sounds thin on the ground for a project of that magnitude ffs.

Bloody joke.

The real Biffo:
The bosses have obviously seen the comments etc made about these roadworks, and have made a short “youtube” video to answer the questions.

What a load of bollox.

And I’ll bet my house that when this umpteen billion pound “project” is complete and running it will make zero difference to the journey times through that sector. All it will be used for is to inform us :

• Gritting in progress
  • Tiredness can kill
  • Don’t drive and drive
  • Check your seatbelt
  • Queue Ahead with 40s flashing across all 4 lanes at 1am, then nothing on the next ones and no sign of any traffic.

I’ll tell you what would instantly solve most of the congestion problems along that stretch and none of it needs any gantries or fancy electrics, just some road paint :

Eastbound : remove hard shoulder between 25 and 26 and make it a proper lane for J26 only with the ‘new’ lane 2 being J26 or M62. Stick in a few emergency refuges into the verge to compensate for the loss of h/s. This then doubles the available road space for J26 exit which is a large part of the congestion problems from 24.

Hard shoulder as normal over Chain Bar, then on the slip ramp up from 26 remove the pointless 2+ lane and let all traffic us it round the bend at Chain Bar from the 606 to save congestion at the lights there, then continue that into the hard shoulder all the way to 27 so it’s 4 lanes wide, stick some refuges in again, and again you are relieving the bottleneck that’s caused by doubling the available road space for 27 exit where lane 1 becomes J27 only, lane 2 becomes J27 or M62, lanes 3 and 4 M62 only.

Westbound : only really needs 4 lanes between 27 and 26. This is the bottleneck on that stretch and goes back to 29 on a bad day. You’ve got everything coming off the M621 barging their way in, then everything already on the 62 wants to be in lane 1 for 26. Just bin the h/s along there, give em some refuges, make the ‘new’ lane a continuation of lane 1 of the M621 so no need to merge immediately, and then mark it up to be J26 only with lane 2 J26 or M62, lanes 3/4 M62 only.

You could do the same the other side of 26 as well, just continue the slip into the h/s which then becomes Hartshead only, but the traffic rarely backs up there from mergers anyway.

It’s a piece of ■■■■ to sort and it would work. Remember what 29 used to be like before they split the lanes up on the M62? Everything would be backed up in lane 1 back to Tingley wanting to get off for the M1 - same the other side in the mornings, nearly back to Whitwood, but now look at it. Lane 1 (or 2) approaching 29 from Tingley always runs at a min of 56mph even in rush hour, and the only thing that changed was altering the lane markings on the overhead gantries and a dash of paint on the tarmac.

The whole thing could be sorted out in ONE WEEK tops if they got their fingers out of their arses.

The real Biffo:

I missed most of what the first chap said due to excessive laughing at his lisp.
nothing against lispers, but putting one in a public role may of been silly.

So…Years of death, mutilation and disruption, for one part time lane over 15 miles.
Mmmmmm, yup, gotta be worth it :unamused:
Never have so few, looked so desperate, in trying to justify their employment :laughing:

You couldn`t do a parody of that Youtube clip, they have done so well themselves :laughing:

There’s never anybody working on it. :imp:
When they were widening the m1 and m25,there were men constantly on site.
I’ve just travelled the m62 from Leeds to Heywood, and I never saw a soul.
Have a look next time you cross it :smiling_imp:

ive said it before…the M1 motorway from Luton up to the coventry spur took only 19 months to build and that included building all the junctions and over and under bridges,and all with 1950s construction tackle.

It’s a joke that just widening this stretch of motorway should take 4 yrs!!!

The contrctors are just making work for themselves.

commonrail:
There’s never anybody working on it. :imp:
When they were widening the m1 and m25,there were men constantly on site.
I’ve just travelled the m62 from Leeds to Heywood, and I never saw a soul.
Have a look next time you cross it :smiling_imp:

Same here, just got back from Morissons Bradford, but I did see one van and 2 men moving a cone !!!

The reason you didn’t see anyone is that work is suspended until 2nd January.

Stan

TTX boy:
ive said it before…the M1 motorway from Luton up to the coventry spur took only 19 months to build and that included building all the junctions and over and under bridges,and all with 1950s construction tackle.

. . . and the rest up to Leeds took just 3 years to build! :open_mouth:

Stan

Stanley Knife:
The reason you didn’t see anyone is that work is suspended until 2nd January.

Stan

Sorry I forgot the road slackers have to have extended holidays to make up for all that leaning against the shovel they do, must be a killer on the back.

Meanwhile back in reality the rest of us who have to use that road for work or to travel to and from work can at least be rest assured our hard working half dozen men will be well rested ready for the last push of this farcical build.

Btw here’s a quid on it the road opens fully “on schedule” only to be closed down for further works only weeks later, just to ensure they meet the bonus for completing on time etc, ala the A46 Newark to Leicester con, that road has been under further works longer than it has actually been officially fully “open” ffs, all bloody con men and we let them get away with it.

TTX boy:

But that was before health and safety reared its often unessecary head and made even the safest and healthiest of tasks tediously complicated and laborious. What could be acheived in a day fifty years ago now takes a week just to risk assess.

Phantom Mark:
Btw here’s a quid on it the road opens fully “on schedule” only to be closed down for further works only weeks later, just to ensure they meet the bonus for completing on time etc, ala the A46 Newark to Leicester con, that road has been under further works longer than it has actually been officially fully “open” ffs, all bloody con men and we let them get away with it.

The Bonuses on this are all on hold , untill the decide about the layout and jcts at farndon , plus sorted out drainage ,

anyway back to the m62 , heres one caught on the cab cam , pay attention to the m621 and the curtain sider youtu.be/Qicgu6EPkrE