M6 roadworks for the next 79 weeks Junc 11 to 13

As if we have not had enough of the roadwork’s this last two years between Junctions 6 and 7 they start next week for 79 weeks as they extend the “managed motorway” north between junctions 10a and 13 of the M6.

The estimated cost of this scheme is in the ridiculous range of £85 million to £121 million ( It originally only cost £87.69m to build the entire M6 from Junction 1 to Junction 13) Source The Motorway Archive

No doubt they will get a nice little earner over the next year and a half from all the average speed cameras they have installed in preperation.

It will also be interesting to see how many fatalities there are during the time it takes to complete this work as they were quite a number during the building of a similar scheme on the M62 in West Yorkshire which begs the question is it really worth doing?

This managed motorway is the biggest load of ballcocks I’ve seen. Why on a Saturday morning at about 5am, is the M62 E/B around J27 got a speed limit of 50mph, when there are no roadworks,and hardly anyone about. This was about 2 weeks ago, after the contraflow and roadworks had ceased.

roughyed:
This managed motorway is the biggest load of ballcocks I’ve seen. Why on a Saturday morning at about 5am, is the M62 E/B around J27 got a speed limit of 50mph, when there are no roadworks,and hardly anyone about. This was about 2 weeks ago, after the contraflow and roadworks had ceased.

To raise money from the scameras

managed motorways are the biggest load of bollox if they kept to a constant speed it wouldnt be to bad but when you get one gantry say 50 the next 40 n then 60 …like has been said its a money earner from the cameras thats the only reason they are introducing more/longer stretches of them

same with the m62,they have the signs set at 50 for no reason at all i.e. clear road and not much traffic.
Also…72 wks to up grade a motorway ■■? it only took them 19 months to build the M1 (first phase) and that included overbridges,underbridges,junctions,etc,etc !!!

just what the m6 needs more flipping road works through the busiest sections of the motorway :cry:

I noticed that on the 62 the other week coming back from Hull 50 mph signs at half 3 on a Saturday morning, what a load of ■■■■■■ I’m all for them adding an extra lane to ease the flow, but managing them which means leaving a 40mph sign on 4 hours after it was originally needed is ridiculous

Managed motorway = infrastructure needed for pay as you drive.

Do the silly speed limit and pay them nothing :sunglasses: simples

they say it`s been quite successful in Holland.

Why on earth do they need to cone off more than 3 miles at a time ffs. They never work on more than a mile so why shut 15 for 2 years■■? Just keep moving up a mile at a time. I don’t think anybody would get so frustrated if it was only a 3 mile stretch :bulb:

And just to really make your day, these managed motorways are going to extend up to J19 on the M6 shortly. Get used to it.

moomooland:
( It originally only cost £87.69m to build the entire M6 from Junction 1 to Junction 13) Source The Motorway Archive

I think a bit of inflation-correction need to be applied to that figure. In today’s money, somewhere between £1 billion and £1.6 billion. (based on £88 million in 1971/1963 and at 6% - Bank of England calculator). Building a new road is expensive. Building round an existing road is ■■■■■■■ expensive (Old Grauniad article)

Would have been cheaper to buy the m6 toll road open it for free.Brum will always be a bottle neck.

moomooland:
No doubt they will get a nice little earner over the next year and a half from all the average speed cameras they have installed in preperation.

Well they caught me out yesterday morning as i was going through at 50 like a good boy all chilled out then i noticed that it had changed to a 40 limit so how long i’d been doing 50 in a 40 god only knows, so i then slowed to 40 again like a good boy and then it went back up to a 50 again so what’s all that about. Hopefully i’ll be allright though.

Fair enough, if there gonna do it, but why do they need to the north bound carriageway? Seems a total waste of money just to try to manage the traffic on there for 1 afternoon a week.

well thank god for that. jumped of tramping gone local so think i made a good move. nice to be home at the end the day. on milk tanker rear steer easy job 4 the same monie. :wink:

Robertthegreat:
Would have been cheaper to buy the m6 toll road open it for free.Brum will always be a bottle neck.

Stop talking sense!

I went through it on Saturday night - 40 for god’s sake … A poundland truck went past me and he was easily on the limiter, average speed cameras are there too.

And just to make your day more exciting, they’ll be starting on the M6 between J19 - J16 in November.