M6 heads up

Just to let any of you regulary using the M6 south between junction 10 and 8 that the variable speed limit cameras are working as the motor in front of me got flashed last night. Never seen them go off before but the signs were flashing 40 and the artic in front was flashed by the camera flat out. Luckily I had time to slow from 42mph :exclamation: :wink:

Well the speed camera signs are there and when the the variable speed limit signs are lit up - that’s the speed limit! Nothing else to say about it really :wink:

brados:
Well the speed camera signs are there and when the the variable speed limit signs are lit up - that’s the speed limit! Nothing else to say about it really :wink:

LOL. Yeah well maybe the odd driver may sometimes exceed it a little? It was just a little warning to anyone it may help in future as there is usually no reason for the speed limit imposed. Maybe a little extra in the policemans Christmas ball this year? :smiling_imp:

I remember when they first installed them on the M25 donkeys years ago and no-one thought they worked, camera lights flashing everywhere and a big uproar in the trucking press and everywhere else about it when people started to receive “fines through the post” :open_mouth:

I always used to find it strangely satisfying to watch some muppet go screaming through at 80 and not even realising they had been flashed! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

brados:
I remember when they first installed them on the M25 donkeys years ago and no-one thought they worked, camera lights flashing everywhere and a big uproar in the trucking press and everywhere else about it when people started to receive “fines through the post” :open_mouth:

I always used to find it strangely satisfying to watch some muppet go screaming through at 80 and not even realising they had been flashed! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

LOL, funny enough I used to do Hatfield to the A3 every night and never came off the limiter! And usually there was no reason for the bloody things to be slowing you! I did know that just past junction 16 there is a camera that works though and seems to make a few quid! :wink:

streaky:
Just to let any of you regulary using the M6 south between junction 10 and 8 that the variable speed limit cameras are working as the motor in front of me got flashed last night. Never seen them go off before but the signs were flashing 40 and the artic in front was flashed by the camera flat out. Luckily I had time to slow from 42mph :exclamation: :wink:

Seen those ones go off several times as I am up and down there every night of the week. I think they are a bit liberal in their setting as stuff going through up to about 50, when they are set at 40, seems to have no effect but over that they flash.

Got 2 cars set them off in front of me just before J9 about 4.00am this morning, quite suprised I’ve never seen them flash before and I go down there every day !
Don’t half seem slow doing 40mph on the motorway with no other traffic about, think that may catch a few people out.

I went through there the other day ,the sighns were flashing 50 then they went down to 40 but there were lots of cars flying through the 40 limit doing between 50 and 60.
It’s hard to see flashes in the day.

Coffeeholic:

streaky:

Seen those ones go off several times as I am up and down there every night of the week. I think they are a bit liberal in their setting as stuff going through up to about 50, when they are set at 40, seems to have no effect but over that they flash.

I go through there every night too and I’ve never seen them go off before. Mind you thats when its open! Junction 4-3 closed agaim tonight does anyone know??

streaky:

Coffeeholic:

streaky:

Seen those ones go off many times as I am up and down there every night of the week. I think they are a bit liberal in their setting as stuff going through up to about 50, when they are set at 40, seems to have no effect but over that they flash.

I go through there every night too and I’ve never seen them go off before. Mind you thats when its open! Junction 4-3 closed agaim tonight does anyone know??

Yes, it’s closed again tonight and will be each night this week.

I mean ffs what are you supposed to do, I was on the 25 a few months back near J18 and the signs were flashing 30mph for more than a couple of miles, this was about 11pm, I duly slowed it down thinking to myself another glitch and no reason to have to slow down as bloody usual, so I plod along eyes peeled at 30mph looking for anything, any reason etc, nothing, not a sodding thing, meanwhile every man and his dog is screaming past at 70/80, low and behold, 2 miles or so later, nat speed limit flashes up and clearly nothing has, had, and never was causing an obstruction, waste of bloody space if they don’t use them properly, and dangerous IMHO, no good me going along like a prune at that speed on a motorway ffs.

Coffeeholic:

streaky:

Coffeeholic:

streaky:

Thanks, diversion isn’t too much longer anyway really depending on waiting at red traffic lights waiting for nothing.

Phantom Mark:
I mean ffs what are you supposed to do, I was on the 25 a few months back near J18 and the signs were flashing 30mph for more than a couple of miles, this was about 11pm, I duly slowed it down thinking to myself another glitch and no reason to have to slow down as bloody usual, so I plod along eyes peeled at 30mph looking for anything, any reason etc, nothing, not a sodding thing, meanwhile every man and his dog is screaming past at 70/80, low and behold, 2 miles or so later, nat speed limit flashes up and clearly nothing has, had, and never was causing an obstruction, waste of bloody space if they don’t use them properly, and dangerous IMHO, no good me going along like a prune at that speed on a motorway ffs.

I never usually slow because of exactly that but never seen them fire off at truck speeds, well not until 2 nights ago that is.

streaky:

Phantom Mark:

I never usually slow because of exactly that but never seen them fire off at truck speeds, well not until 2 nights ago that is.

Even worse for me on the motorbike going to work, I do not want to be doing 40mph for no reason (often the case) with 2 lanes off trucks catching me quickly and bearing down on my jacksy ! :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

streaky:

Coffeeholic:

streaky:

Coffeeholic:

streaky:

Thanks, diversion isn’t too much longer anyway really depending on waiting at red traffic lights waiting for nothing.

We are cutting across the A50 from J16 to the M1 this week, adds 3 or 4 km and about 7 minutes to our normal journey.

Coffeeholic:

streaky:

Coffeeholic:

streaky:

Coffeeholic:

streaky:

We are cutting across the A50 from J16 to the M1 this week, adds 3 or 4 km and about 7 minutes to our normal journey.

Good choice I got caught out eith this leaving my depot the other night.I was going to trundle down the A5 to get to the M1 but decided on M6 instead-to only be presented with closure when I got there.
The A45-M45 isn’t too bad,just got to watch the space at traffic lights through Coventry.For some unknown reason a lot of trucks are staying in the n/s lane at lights creating a long que.It’s tight in places but you can get by rather than join the back of the que for the very short light sequence.
I could understand it in the daytime but at 2am in the morning ■■?
No.

Yep,i can vouch for that camera working on the overheads between jcn 10-9 s/b as it flashed me at 47mph on Wednesday morning,or it could have been the car in the outside lane flying past me but cant see how as its only the one above the inside lane that flashes,no others.
Typical HA/Police,no roadworks(they’d been cleared up as i went n’b to work at 330am) and no reason for them to be on,that camera flashes quite regular day and night so i’m hoping its just a frightener,if not then i’ll wait and see whether i shall be making an early contribution to the Policemans xmas dinner and dance!

Yep i can vouch they flash i was doing 52 on Monday nite it could have been the lorry in the middle lane he flu passed me when we got on going ok again i hope its him when will you fine out

Usually takes upto 2 weeks for it to come through hendydaf,just sitting here waiting now,chewing nails,changing undercrackers etc!!! :imp:

I’m all for slowing down for roadworks incidents etc. but why the hell do they have you down to a single lane at 40mph just below Hilton park for roadworks (or non excistic roadworks ! ) 3mls? away at Wednesbury. Last week was the same and the roadworks/lane closure was actually on the M5 !
The gantry signs are good but the info has to be up to date/accurate for them to be really useful.