M5 south 14 - 15 3/7/2014 pm

erfguy:
Some very small minded people post on here, accidents with caravans are few and far between had that been a couple of wagons what would the excuses be then.
To laugh and make stupid remarks about folks misfortune when their holiday has been ruined is pretty stupid. I just hope no one was injured in the accident. And no I don’t pull a caravan. Eddie.

Good to see that there’s at least one decent & sensible person on here. The simple fact is that there are relatively few accidents involving caravans, pro rata-wise.

windrush:

SteveBarnsleytrucker:
You don’t see many bridges about 8 foot high though do you.

Plenty of curtain siders about that height on Youtube and TruckNet though.

Pete.

What about 8 foot high? I doubt that very much. I’d say the lowest hight of a curtainsider in this country would be around 11 foot maybe even 12.

Thanks for that Supertramp. Yes after 40 yrs driving trucks I can safely say the haulage industry has its fair share of idiots and you just have to run back through a few of the threads of reports of accidents to get the evidence of that. Its the old KETTLE calling the POT black syndrome again. Eddie.

SteveBarnsleytrucker:

windrush:

SteveBarnsleytrucker:
You don’t see many bridges about 8 foot high though do you.

Plenty of curtain siders about that height on Youtube and TruckNet though.

Pete.

What about 8 foot high? I doubt that very much. I’d say the lowest hight of a curtainsider in this country would be around 11 foot maybe even 12.

I meant there are pics of them AFTER they were dragged out from under the bridge they struck, a lot lower then! :wink: Plenty of ‘Pro drivers’ mess up as well, just human error and non of us are exempt from that. :blush: Some of these pony trailers frighten me more than caravans, half a ton of horse (two sometimes) moving around and still they come past on or above the limit. :open_mouth:

Pete.

Ahh sorry pal, took your answers the wrong way haha :smiley: :unamused:

Comparing caravaners to truckers is a very weak arguement for a whole pile of reasons. Caravans are seasonal and the difference in volume is enormous. Do the maths based on annual mileage for both groups, work out the ratio then accident statistics and see who poses the highest risk. My money goes on the untrained amateurs, many of whom will follow their caravaners guide which the top gear team know gives bad advice

it comes down to the same problem as normal car drivers. Being legal does does mean they know what they are competent. I did my class 1 with a flatbed wagon and drag. That made me legal but not competent to pull a 45 foot trailer loaded with hanging meat. Same principle!

scanny77:
Comparing caravaners to truckers is a very weak arguement for a whole pile of reasons. Caravans are seasonal and the difference in volume is enormous. Do the maths based on annual mileage for both groups, work out the ratio then accident statistics and see who poses the highest risk. My money goes on the untrained amateurs, many of whom will follow their caravaners guide which the top gear team know gives bad advice

it comes down to the same problem as normal car drivers. Being legal does does mean they know what they are competent. I did my class 1 with a flatbed wagon and drag. That made me legal but not competent to pull a 45 foot trailer loaded with hanging meat. Same principle!

Thank you . :wink:

windrush:

erfguy:
Some very small minded people post on here, accidents with caravans are few and far between had that been a couple of wagons what would the excuses be then.
To laugh and make stupid remarks about folks misfortune when their holiday has been ruined is pretty stupid. I just hope no one was injured in the accident. And no I don’t pull a caravan. Eddie.

Agreed, plus you don’t see that many pics posted of caravans either wedged under low bridges or on their side at roundabouts that ‘Professional Truck Drivers’ fail to negotiate.Pete.

please remember pete, said part time ■■■■■ :sunglasses: in their rubber wheeled villas, :laughing: purport to have class one licences! :grimacing:

nick2008:

m_attt:
on the plus side, two more off the road.

I cant disagree there fella :wink: Where’s BB :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Here I am, that’s ok more room on site for me now when I go away, probably caused by a lorry driver anyway. :smiley:

bald bloke:
probably caused by a lorry driver anyway. :smiley:

or his / her wife :wink: :wink:
Mrn feller looking dismal today

scanny77:

But the maths have been done, and the simple fact is that pro rata, there are relatively few accidents involving caravans!!

And before you get too carried away with your own importance, there are plenty of caravanners who are on the roads day in and day out, and although they’re not all driving artics, suggesting that they’re all “amateurs” is rather offensive!

From what I see day in day out, there are plenty class 1 drivers who make you wonder how they got through their tests, and they’re British passport holders!

Supatramp:

scanny77:

But the maths have been done, and the simple fact is that pro rata, there are relatively few accidents involving caravans!!

And before you get too carried away with your own importance, there are plenty of caravanners who are on the roads day in and day out, and although they’re not all driving artics, suggesting that they’re all “amateurs” is rather offensive!

From what I see day in day out, there are plenty class 1 drivers who make you wonder how they got through their tests, and they’re British passport holders!

I don’t disagree with you but you must admit the amount of people that really don’t have a clue is still too high like the I hook up and go ( been at work all day then drive for hours on end through the night ) people.
The owner that uses their vans on a regular basis I have no problem its the twice a year novice that has the van arked down the side of the garage all year then venture out with not even a 2nd look.

I past 4 caravans on the M5 and A38 last night all with trailer ( caravan) faulty or blown rear bulbs. I know a bulb can blow at any time but how many could and would stop and change a bulb ■■

nick2008:

Supatramp:

scanny77:

I don’t disagree with you but you must admit the amount of people that really don’t have a clue is still too high like the I hook up and go ( been at work all day then drive for hours on end through the night ) people.
The owner that uses their vans on a regular basis I have no problem its the twice a year novice that has the van arked down the side of the garage all year then venture out with not even a 2nd look.

I past 4 caravans on the M5 and A38 last night all with trailer ( caravan) faulty or blown rear bulbs. I know a bulb can blow at any time but how many could and would stop and change a bulb ■■

Of course there are idiots towing caravans, and those who tow maybe just a couple of times a year, but that doesn’t mean that all caravanners are “amateurs”!

Supatramp .

Of course there are idiots towing caravans, and those who tow maybe just a couple of times a year, but that doesn’t mean that all caravanners are “amateurs”!

I haven’t said that all caravanners are amateurs . what I said was that there needs to be a tightening on towing and training and the condition of the caravans.
as it was and still is anyone can pick up ANY trailer ( being of the correct size / weight ) with little or No knowledge of what they are doing …

Supatramp:

nick2008:

Supatramp:

scanny77:

have they passed a test on it? Yes or no! They are not professionals and at best they are seasonal

I’m not sure a test of introduction of trailer mots would make much difference. Probably is true that many family estate cars used to tow them are unsuitable but the main culprit is poor loading. The fact that being light on the nose makes it easier to move encourages it but mostly it’ll be that they’ve shoved the kid’s bikes or boxes of groceries through the caravan door without thinking about it.

Then once they’re up to 50mph on the motorway and the tramlines or a truck going past starts a wobble and they either try to steer out or jab the brakes and that’s it. Autos are quite useful for being able to slow down gently without taking weight off the back axle.

unfair to call people small minded who have a hatred for caravans in’s not like its unjustified,

anyone who says caravans are not a problem, needs to come spend a “season” driving around devon and cornwall.

You get the pensioners with a massive twin axle van towed by a focus or similar, wobbling and weaving along single carrigway’s at 25, maybe 30mph if your lucky. Mirrors obviously cant see round the van so they are oblivious to the 2 mile traffic que behind them.

you get foreigners in campers and vans, again really slow to gawp at the “scenery” again no clue as to whats going on behind.

they then get to the dual carrigways maybe get up to 40mph and then slow right back down again as the vans all over the place.

then the worst one they take there nice big rig, down a lane to a cornish campsite, meet another coming the other way. game over as neither can reverse the ■■■■ things. mayhem ensues as we all sit for half hour waiting.

scanny77:

Supatramp:

nick2008:

Supatramp:

scanny77:

have they passed a test on it? Yes or no! They are not professionals and at best they are seasonal

So HGV drivers are professionals because they’ve passed a test? Don’t make me laugh!!

Own Account Driver:
I’m not sure a test of introduction of trailer mots would make much difference. Probably is true that many family estate cars used to tow them are unsuitable but the main culprit is poor loading. The fact that being light on the nose makes it easier to move encourages it but mostly it’ll be that they’ve shoved the kid’s bikes or boxes of groceries through the caravan door without thinking about it.

Then once they’re up to 50mph on the motorway and the tramlines or a truck going past starts a wobble and they either try to steer out or jab the brakes and that’s it. Autos are quite useful for being able to slow down gently without taking weight off the back axle.

If there’s a major problem with overloaded caravan outfits, why aren’t the police doing something about it?

m_attt:
unfair to call people small minded who have a hatred for caravans in’s not like its unjustified,

anyone who says caravans are not a problem, needs to come spend a “season” driving around devon and cornwall.

You get the pensioners with a massive twin axle van towed by a focus or similar, wobbling and weaving along single carrigway’s at 25, maybe 30mph if your lucky. Mirrors obviously cant see round the van so they are oblivious to the 2 mile traffic que behind them.

you get foreigners in campers and vans, again really slow to gawp at the “scenery” again no clue as to whats going on behind.

they then get to the dual carrigways maybe get up to 40mph and then slow right back down again as the vans all over the place.

then the worst one they take there nice big rig, down a lane to a cornish campsite, meet another coming the other way. game over as neither can reverse the ■■■■ things. mayhem ensues as we all sit for half hour waiting.

Again, if the situation/problem is as extreme as you suggest, why aren’t the police doing something about it!