M5 south 14 - 15 3/7/2014 pm

Started early :wink:

on the plus side, two more off the road.

m_attt:
on the plus side, two more off the road.

I cant disagree there fella :wink: Where’s BB :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Probably been planning and looking forward to their holiday for months, now holiday plans in tatters and more than likely In shock, but it’s “two more off the road” :frowning:

Big Roy:
Probably been planning and looking forward to their holiday for months, now holiday plans in tatters and more than likely In shock, but it’s “two more off the road” :frowning:

I think they should bring it in now that ppl have to take a test and all caravans need a MOT and tax of sorts along with insurance … also that the vans can only be towed by a vehicle of the same length or a set length that cant exceed say 3feet longer than the towing vehicle

nick2008:

Big Roy:

I think they should bring it in now that ppl have to take a test and all caravans need a MOT and tax of sorts along with insurance … also that the vans can only be towed by a vehicle of the same length or a set length that cant exceed say 3feet longer than the towing vehicle

It’s more down to education ie a badly loaded caravan (too many heavy items at the rear or incorrect nose weight or mismatched car/caravan) or even a passing truck can cause a snake

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Speed plays a major part, along with the loading, so when they want to do 65/70 mph and it starts snaking, they cant get out of it and over she goes, some handle better than others, and maybe the one in the front got into trouble, and the one behind also did the same through braking too hard…personally i never had any troubles in towing my van across europe, but thats because i was sensible, being a trucker :laughing:

We should follow Spanish rules.

Every towbar must be fitted professionally and then mot’d to make sure it is fitted correctly.

Any trailer above 750 Kg must be registered and mot’d regularly so that they are safe for the road.

I would also put in that car and trailer should be matched together to make sure that the towing vehicle is the correct type to tow the trailer.

We already have trailer training now for being able to tow trailers above 750 Kg for newish drivers, I wonder if VOSA are pulling caravans to make sure the drivers have the correct qualifications.

Personally I’m sick of being held up for hours on end because yet another idiot has turned their holiday home over on the motorway and I always dread the start or finish of the holiday season for that reason.

Some very small minded people post on here, accidents with caravans are few and far between had that been a couple of wagons what would the excuses be then.
To laugh and make stupid remarks about folks misfortune when their holiday has been ruined is pretty stupid. I just hope no one was injured in the accident. And no I don’t pull a caravan. Eddie.

erfguy:
Some very small minded people post on here, accidents with caravans are few and far between had that been a couple of wagons what would the excuses be then.
To laugh and make stupid remarks about folks misfortune when their holiday has been ruined is pretty stupid. I just hope no one was injured in the accident. And no I don’t pull a caravan. Eddie.

I think the point and one I see is that there are people out there that don’t have a CLUE how to tow and that the rules on who can tow and what they can tow with what need addressing…as for accidents being few and far between you don’t obviously travel through Devon and Cornwall much do you…

erfguy:

Agreed, plus you don’t see that many pics posted of caravans either wedged under low bridges or on their side at roundabouts that ‘Professional Truck Drivers’ fail to negotiate.

Pete.

windrush:

erfguy:

Agreed, plus you don’t see that many pics posted of caravans either wedged under low bridges or on their side at roundabouts that ‘Professional Truck Drivers’ fail to negotiate.

Pete.

You don’t see many bridges about 8 foot high though do you.

Looks like a caravan derby ,they should stick to the High Edge Raceway!

In recent years there also seems to be a reduction in the amount of vehicles with mirror extensions. I followed a monde earlier pulling a 8 ft wide caravan. Driver didn’t have a clue what was behind him.

m1cks:
In recent years there also seems to be a reduction in the amount of vehicles with mirror extensions. I followed a monde earlier pulling a 8 ft wide caravan. Driver didn’t have a clue what was behind him.

I thought it was now (under new regs ) a requirement :open_mouth:

It may be, but as I said, it seems less common and is one of those things that’s rarely policed by those that police.

nick2008:
I think the point and one I see is that there are people out there that don’t have a CLUE how to tow and that the rules on who can tow and what they can tow with what need addressing…

+1
The ministry can’t make it’s mind up either. Once upon a time the “guideline” was that the trailer/thing-being-towed should not weigh more than 85% of the vehicle towing it. (Artics excepted, obviously, as they are designed specifically for the purpose). That was never made law, but figured in arguments after accidents and who’s to blame. There’s the reason why new laws come in, more about money, although physics and common sense are in there somewhere…
Perhaps towing will become more regulated, who knows - we’ve seen class 3 taken off the automatic gimme list(1997). And class 3 will be amalgamated into class 2 eventually.

Well I have towed caravans for many thousands of miles over a thirty year period and never got into a ‘snake’ situation even without a stabilizer. I keep to speed limits though, I can only assume that they are either loading them tail heavy or travelling too fast with them unstable, I know several folk who have towed at 80 mph+ on the Continent with no problems as they loaded them correctly in the first place.
Another problem is that many caravans are out of balance when new, my current one is WAY overweight on the noseweight even when unladen and I have to remove the gas cylinders, spare wheel plus the battery to get it within acceptable margins before I set off, if you can just lift the van via the tow hitch with one hand then it isn’t too far out.

Pete.

SteveBarnsleytrucker:
You don’t see many bridges about 8 foot high though do you.

Plenty of curtain siders about that height on Youtube and TruckNet though.

Pete.