M5 n/b M42 split

I notice they have sorted that junction out, from 2 outside lanes for continuing on the M5, to 3.
That was a potential major ■■■■ up waiting to happen, coming up that bank slow and fully freighted, and then having to slowly move over 2 lanes, negotiating through busy traffic on a Friday afternoon, to continue on the M5. :open_mouth:
Maybe there were a few incidents already, I don’t know, but at least it is better now.

A one they have made worse is the M6 j10, where you could once sail through in both directions, passing reams of drivers who did not know how to use a 4 lane motorway properly, the inside lane now is only for j10 traffic, and comes to an abrupt end. :unamused:

Any more junctions or intersections etc that could do with being corrected?

Highways seem .to be starting a programme of junction improvements./bridges
Will they work ?time will tell

There improving j10 of the m6

Junction. 19 m6

Theres plans for.m56 near Preston brook

Also plans for the m60 where it meets m66 m62.
Plan there is. If coming from Manchester and you want stay on M60 at the moment you have come.off round roundabout and back on.
Plans are to. Build a catthorpe like layout that bypasses the. The roundabout.

And that’s only the ones I know about

robroy:

My neck of the woods:

M62 J20 Rochdale :angry: . 3 lanes coming out of Rochdale. Lane 1 M62E and Oldham, lane 2 Oldham only, lane 3 M62W only. Two problems : the road markings for lane 2 feed round the roundabout for the M62W :unamused: and lane 3 is so narrow as you enter that you need to take half of lane 2 so that your trailer doesn’t go through the flimsy barrier 2 inches to your right and land on the M62 below :open_mouth: . If you use lane 3 as directed, you end up with a bunch of cars, vans and other trucks undertaking you in lane 2, also heading for the M62W. If you use lane 2 and keep your right turn signal on, you get beeped at and hand gestures out of windows. Can’t win :unamused: .

2 junctions further along at Simister - just sort out that [zb] junction for the M66 :angry: . Signs on approach clearly show both lanes to be used, along with handy painted dotted lines as you enter the roundabout to feed you around, but 90% of the stuff entering in lane 2 doesn’t filter into lane 4 as they should, instead cutting in front of you into lane 3. I have had to take evasive action there so many times now to save cars from ending up under the tanker I have lost count.

M62 J10 with the M6. All that money spent and no-one thought to widen the split with the M6S/M6N so that lane 2 could be either route. Instead, nope, everything for the M6S (which is about 80% of the traffic along there) has to fight to all get in lane 1. If they’d widened it the capacity could have been doubled.

edd1974:
Also plans for the m60 where it meets m66 m62.
Plan there is. If coming from Manchester and you want stay on M60 at the moment you have come.off round roundabout and back on.
Plans are to. Build a catthorpe like layout that bypasses the. The roundabout.

And that’s only the ones I know about

assets.highwaysengland.co.uk/ro … on+Map.pdf

I’d like a loop from M62W onto M66 too please. :frowning:

There’s already a “free flow” link from the M60N onto M60W so not sure what they’re on about in the link above :confused: .

google.com/maps/@53.5485115 … 384!8i8192

Yes, A14/A1 junction, miles of wasted land and tarmac where you have umpteen lanes all going in one direction, but if you want to use A14 west side and require access from A1 either direction you end up at the Brampton Hut roundabout with its ‘superb’ traffic lights, ok you don’t get that much traffic going from A14 west side onto A1 North side either direction, but you do when the A605 between Thrapston and Peterboro is knackered, and at peak times it can be just as easy to use the longer route going via Brampton Hut because you can stay in top gear all the way.

M1 south onto M25, lots of mad bunching there because all traffic for both directions M25 (the bulk) is funnelled into the left hand lane, cue lots of last minute lane swapping to queue jump causing mayhem further back in the resulting braking wave, you expect this when the cars and vans get involved but the worse times i find are an hour either side of 5am when the overnight pallet artics on a life or death mission and not a split second to live get involved.

M40/A34 roundabout going south, not a lot can be done there without a complete rebuild allowing some form of filtering for the massive amount of traffic that goes from M40 southbound onto A34 south.
Too much traffic light time is given to the traffic coming from Bicester going south, i’ve seen queues for miles up the M40, won’t say what i do to by pass it when i know the queues are bad :wink:

M60 m62 junction improvements /smart motorways are a joke.
There made the lanes. Narrower for some reason on m60 (unless it’s me)

Also now they have finished the m60 m62 works there’s. No difference in traffic levels.

Even These days. With lockdown less traffic around
If your heading on M60 clockwise during evening rush hour it still ques up for miles from Altrincham. Trafford park. Junctions up to the m61
And beyond

Juddian:
M40/A34 roundabout going south, not a lot can be done there without a complete rebuild allowing some form of filtering for the massive amount of traffic that goes from M40 southbound onto A34 south.
Too much traffic light time is given to the traffic coming from Bicester going south, i’ve seen queues for miles up the M40, won’t say what i do to by pass it when i know the queues are bad :wink:

Can’t go down there anymore, weight limit on the fly-over with regular enforecement, so I understand.

Mick Bracewell:

Juddian:

Can’t go down there anymore, weight limit on the fly-over with regular enforecement, so I understand.

Nope, don’t use that flyover but good guess :sunglasses:

Juddian:

Mick Bracewell:

Juddian:

Cut off to Kirtlington and Bletchingdon? Road is fine but you don’t want to meet anything artic size coming the other way between those 2. Can’t think of any other way you’d go unless you went through Bicester or continued down to Oxford and cut across the A40.

Not saying where i go Mick (you know what happens when nice little alternatives become well know), no i don’t take to the B roads that side, yes i’ve done it when the A34 has been blocked but as you say the roads are too narrow.

Juddian:

Ooo ooo ooo…

I reckon you turn right just past the Ben Jonson pub in Weston-on-the Green which is an unsuitable for HGVs’, but legal way to cut south again.

Only sayin’ cos I’ve done it a few times myself.

You can PM to let me know I’m right. :smiley:

I can get away with taking tankers down narrow lanes as the nimby’s assume you’re going to a farm :smiley: . 7.5t weight limits and in fact any kind of restriction doesn’t apply to me :laughing: . You’d have them chasing you down the road to get your reg and report you to the police if you went down the same lanes in your transporter :laughing: .

yourhavingalarf:

Juddian:

Ooo ooo ooo…

I reckon you turn right just past the Ben Jonson pub in Weston-on-the Green which is an unsuitable for HGVs’, but legal way to cut south again.

Not a chance. Tons of trees along those lanes with low branches to ruin his day if he’s still doing transporters. He said he doesn’t use any roads on the west side of the M40 so is either going through Bicester or round the bottom of Oxford :sunglasses: .

Mick Bracewell:

yourhavingalarf:

Juddian:

Ooo ooo ooo…

Not a chance. Tons of trees along those lanes with low branches to ruin his day if he’s still doing transporters. He said he doesn’t use any roads on the west side of the M40 so is either going through Bicester or round the bottom of Oxford :sunglasses: .

He might be…

Empty though. No Range Rovers or Kia’s to get scratched. If my memory serves me correctly, there’s no trees to worry about going that way. He say’s he doesn’t use any roads to the west side but, that might be a red herring.

Will you lot stop bleeding guessing :smiling_imp: , don’t want every tom ■■■■ and pietre doing what i do and ruining things.
pm sent to some bugger having a larf :laughing:

I see they have yet again ZB up the bassets pole road markings :unamused:

A57/M60/M67 J24 Denton roundabout.

It was bad with the original road markings/layout now it is even worse when coming from Manchester/Stockport direction.

Those wanting to join the M67 but are in the lane for Denton direction then try to change lanes at the last minute and cause all sorts of mither !

M58 J5 Eastbound on and off…

If you’re loaded, you have sharp bend, then a giveaway…yep a giveaway ffs…to join the separate lane where others are trying to slowdown to get off the motorway as you speed up…then a further lane joining yours before you all join the main carriageway.
If you’re lucky you’ll also get car drivers jumping into lane 1 early and of course you take pot luck when you’re setting off from the giveaway that drivers remember to indicate at all, as you pull out on them while they come off the motorway.
Beautiful.

8B945B23-101B-4F92-9B09-550C17D23DE7.jpg

robroy:
I notice they have sorted that junction out, from 2 outside lanes for continuing on the M5, to 3.
That was a potential major [zb] up waiting to happen, coming up that bank slow and fully freighted, and then having to slowly move over 2 lanes, negotiating through busy traffic on a Friday afternoon, to continue on the M5. :open_mouth:
Maybe there were a few incidents already, I don’t know, but at least it is better now.

A one they have made worse is the M6 j10, where you could once sail through in both directions, passing reams of drivers who did not know how to use a 4 lane motorway properly, the inside lane now is only for j10 traffic, and comes to an abrupt end. :unamused:

Have they, I haven’t noticed!!
I still use the hard shoulder to join the M5 (unless signs say otherwise) :blush:

[/quote]
Still can’t get over the cost and disruption of the A14/M1/M6 interchange a few years back and we are still unable to go M1(S) from the A14(W). It must cost the industry millions in fuel and hours to go to Rugby turn and come back or take an alternate route.