M5 n/b M42 split

Truckerian99:
Still can’t get over the cost and disruption of the A14/M1/M6 interchange a few years back and we are still unable to go M1(S) from the A14(W). It must cost the industry millions in fuel and hours to go to Rugby turn and come back or take an alternate route.

I’m slightly…

Confused. Do you mean going from Leicester, south down the M1 towards London and not being able to turn right at the Catthorpe interchange? Surely the A14 (W) has become the M6 at that point?

yourhavingalarf:

Truckerian99:
Still can’t get over the cost and disruption of the A14/M1/M6 interchange a few years back and we are still unable to go M1(S) from the A14(W). It must cost the industry millions in fuel and hours to go to Rugby turn and come back or take an alternate route.

I’m slightly…

Confused. Do you mean going from Leicester, south down the M1 towards London and not being able to turn right at the Catthorpe interchange? Surely the A14 (W) has become the M6 at that point?

Can’t go from M6 to M1 Northbound, or vice versa, can’t go from A14 to M1 Southbound, or vice versa.

However compared to the utter pigs ear they made of the previous shambles of this junction, not forgetting all the poor sods who died or have life changing injuries do entirely to an unfit for any purpose junction, the present arrangement is wonderful.

Juddian:
M40/A34 roundabout going south, not a lot can be done there without a complete rebuild allowing some form of filtering for the massive amount of traffic that goes from M40 southbound onto A34 south.
Too much traffic light time is given to the traffic coming from Bicester going south, i’ve seen queues for miles up the M40, won’t say what i do to by pass it when i know the queues are bad :wink:

That junction has been through three revamps as also the A43 junction, millions spent but little improvement. They seriously under estimated the amount of traffic using those two junctions big time.

yourhavingalarf:

Truckerian99:

I’m slightly…

I think he means from the Northampton direction…
I missed the turning once for the A14 and what a palaver to get back to the A14…

There’s no real…

Need for a southbound M1 southbound slip at Catthorpe. Most journeys will go south to the M1 from Kettering down to Northampton and then on south from there.
No need for a slip northbound onto the M1 from the M6 because of the M69 which cuts the corner. If you’re leaving Rugby and want to go north, you’d head for J20 M1 via the A 426.

The problems we have are road designs that rely totally on the principle of a roundabout. You will never have good traffic flow if you have to stop, look, faff around and then get going. There are also too many junctions for the same town. For example, Wakefield can be accessed from M1 J39,40,41 as well as M62 J30. If you look at the smoother running autoroutes in France which cover much greater distances, there will normally just be a south junction and a north junction. Our motorway systems in urban areas, is full of cars doing one or two junctions which brings all the usual congestion.

Norfolkinclue1:
M58 J5 Eastbound on and off…

If you’re loaded, you have sharp bend, then a giveaway…yep a giveaway ffs…to join the separate lane where others are trying to slowdown to get off the motorway as you speed up…then a further lane joining yours before you all join the main carriageway.
If you’re lucky you’ll also get car drivers jumping into lane 1 early and of course you take pot luck when you’re setting off from the giveaway that drivers remember to indicate at all, as you pull out on them while they come off the motorway.
Beautiful.

YES ! We sometimes go to the industrial estate there and even going back to the M6 empty, that slip ramp is an absolute nightmare, especially when it’s dark as you can’t see who’s indicating to come off and they’re coming that fast that you daren’t pull out :open_mouth: . Got to be the worst motorway junction in the country surely? I cannot imagine what it would be like trying to pull out there fully loaded as it’s uphill as well. I stopped using the slip ramp altogether and instead carry on up the d/c for half a mile or so (off the top of your pic), go round the rbt and come back down, then you have a long sweeping road to join from at a good speed. It only adds 60 seconds.

Even the M58/M6 junction is bad. Why so many stupidly tight bends left, right, left, right that you can’t do more than 10 mph round when you’ve a loaded tanker? :angry:

yourhavingalarf:

Truckerian99:

I’m slightly…

No, that you couldn’t get on the M1(S) from A14(W), they spent millions revamping the interchenge and you still can’t. You have to go up the M6(N) to junction 1 or M1(N) to junction 20, turn around and come back. It takes 10-15 mjnutes, depending on traffic and if junction 1 is closed without warning (no access to A5, M6(S) etc) it takes over 40 minutes to get up to junction 2 and back. Why no slip/filter road was built when they were doing the work I do not know? People have said the landowner kicked up, but I’m sure a ‘compulsory purchase order’ could have fixed it. The firms on the Crick and DIRFT estates must’ve been ■■■■■■ off, it ■■■■■■ me off doing it a couple if times a week for well over a decade!!

Where are you going on the A14 which requires you to go to J19 from Crick? I am confused. There is nothing on the A14 until Kettering which is miles east. What’s wrong with going round the Haddon bypass and up through Cold Ashby? It’s 10 mins drive to the A14, 15 if you’re a bad driver/motorway-only plobber, and the roads are fine for artics.

Mick Bracewell:
Where are you going on the A14 which requires you to go to J19 from Crick? I am confused. There is nothing on the A14 until Kettering which is miles east. What’s wrong with going round the Haddon bypass and up through Cold Ashby? It’s 10 mins drive to the A14, 15 if you’re a bad driver/motorway-only plobber, and the roads are fine for artics.

Because the Cold Ashby route has been 7.5ton for many years now, and Cold Ashby village is no place for an artic, the parking through the village and the sharp bend are bad enough for vans and cars, it was one of my cut throughs many years ago when on the grain bulkers.

edd1974:
M60 m62 junction improvements /smart motorways are a joke.
There made the lanes. Narrower for some reason on m60 (unless it’s me)

Also now they have finished the m60 m62 works there’s. No difference in traffic levels.

Even These days. With lockdown less traffic around
If your heading on M60 clockwise during evening rush hour it still ques up for miles from Altrincham. Trafford park. Junctions up to the m61
And beyond

People in Manchester been shafted big time with that smart motorway past m61. M61 still queuing for miles in non lockdown traffic. Probably needed 4 lanes right from at least m61, if not before, till after Trafford Park instead of a small section, which is actually the exit for the m62. Don’t know if it still is, but at one point Trafford Park was supposed to be the biggest industrial estate in Europe. So surely it has the traffic to warrant a better motorway past it! (Ditto Trafford Park with hgv parking)

Sent from my LLD-L31 using Tapatalk

KarlM:

edd1974:
M60 m62 junction improvements /smart motorways are a joke.
There made the lanes. Narrower for some reason on m60 (unless it’s me)

Also now they have finished the m60 m62 works there’s. No difference in traffic levels.

Even These days. With lockdown less traffic around
If your heading on M60 clockwise during evening rush hour it still ques up for miles from Altrincham. Trafford park. Junctions up to the m61
And beyond

People in Manchester been shafted big time with that smart motorway past m61. M61 still queuing for miles in non lockdown traffic. Probably needed 4 lanes right from at least m61, if not before, till after Trafford Park instead of a small section, which is actually the exit for the m62. Don’t know if it still is, but at one point Trafford Park was supposed to be the biggest industrial estate in Europe. So surely it has the traffic to warrant a better motorway past it! (Ditto Trafford Park with hgv parking)

Sent from my LLD-L31 using Tapatalk

I Iive near Manchester airport work in Trafford park.

Part of the problem is clockwise. You have you the m62 joining also the m602 joining at the same place then you also have the turn off for Worsley cars coming along the m60 only have a short length of motorway to get over 3 lanes to get off for Worsley.
That’s the problem at that junction to many junctions. Everyone slowing down due to short slip roads and cars having dash acorss 3 lanes of they need to get to Worsley.

Peorsnally they should.shut the worlsey turn off and then could of created a longer slip road off the m602 m62. .
And.if you live in worlsey then you’d have to find another way round