M42 matrix.

When going south on the M6 heading for the M40 in the early hours,I usually go M6,M5,M42,M40,because the last time I used the M6 M42 route those stupid matrix signs used to be on giving duff info,but I thought it must be sorted by now so I’ll give it a try.
You’ve guessed,same ■■■■■■■ problem!
Between J6 and J5 the matrix read “Road works”,and pushed everyone into lane 3 and a speed limit of 40 for a couple of miles,then…nothing!No roadworks,no lanes were ever closed,no more lit up signs,not even to cancel the speed limit.
Does this mean that I should have continued my journey down to Park Royal at 40 mph because there was no speed limit cancellation?
So,it’s back to giving that stretch a big miss for the forseeable future.

instead of ignoring the road try ignoring the matrix signs, i have found that this works wonders :smiley:

Another good reason not to move over too early when the signs show lanes closing. When they don’t close you can crack on in a nice clear lane while everyone else is nose to tail in one lane. :wink:

Coffeeholic:
Another good reason not to move over too early when the signs show manes closing. When they don’t close you can crack on in a nice clear lane while everyone else is nose to tail in one lane. :wink:

But did i not read a post on her one day of someone saying that once you go past a matrix sign that is showing a X, you can be nabbed by Officer Dibble, irrespective whether it’s closed or not?

Coffeeholic:
Another good reason not to move over too early when the signs show manes closing. When they don’t close you can crack on in a nice clear lane while everyone else is nose to tail in one lane. :wink:

You do know that people like you cause the 50mile tailback in the open lane by driving down the closed lane and trying to push in at the last minute :smiling_imp:
Wheres curryfart? he knows what he is talking about :wink:

Actrosman:

Coffeeholic:

But did i not read a post on her one day of someone saying that once you go past a matrix sign that is showing a X, you can be nabbed by Officer Dibble, irrespective whether it’s closed or not?

So you could be done for driving in any lane of the m6 between junction 1-6 if the matrix board at junction 1 shows ‘M6 closed jc 6-7’?

Actrosman:

Coffeeholic:

Indeed, same as jumping a red light but they don’t always have those on when they haven’t even got as far as starting to put the cones out and if they do then you have no choice but to move over.

bubsy06:

Actrosman:

Coffeeholic:

So you could be done for driving in any lane of the m6 between junction 1-6 if the matrix board at junction 1 shows ‘M6 closed jc 6-7’?

Only if there was a red X above each lane to accompany that sign.

Coffeeholic:

bubsy06:

Actrosman:

Coffeeholic:

Why a red x? the signs are telling you the motorway is closed ahead just like the red X’s are telling you the lane is closed ahead, surely if they didnt want you using the lanes with red X’s they would block them off with cones?

bubsy06:
Why a red x? the signs are telling you the motorway is closed ahead just like the red X’s are telling you the lane is closed ahead, surely if they didnt want you using the lanes with red X’s they would block them off with cones?

Because that’s the way it is :slight_smile:

bubsy06:

Coffeeholic:

bubsy06:

Actrosman:

Coffeeholic:

Why a red x? the signs are telling you the motorway is closed ahead just like the red X’s are telling you the lane is closed ahead,

No, the red X isn’t telling you it is closed ahead, it’s telling you it’s closed right there. Passing that red X would be the same as driving through the cones, you would then be using a closed lane.

bubsy06:
surely if they didnt want you using the lanes with red X’s they would block them off with cones?

No, they put a red light above the lane instead of cones and when driving you generally don’t pass red lights as it is an offence.

Edited to add, as it seemed too good an opportunity to miss. And they say we don’t need a DCPC. :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

Coffeeholic:

bubsy06:

Coffeeholic:

bubsy06:

Actrosman:

Coffeeholic:

Why a red x? the signs are telling you the motorway is closed ahead just like the red X’s are telling you the lane is closed ahead,

The red X isn’t telling you it is closed ahead, it’s telling you it’s closed right there. Passing that red X would be the same as driving through the cones, you would then be using a closed lane.

bubsy06:
surely if they didnt want you using the lanes with red X’s they would block them off with cones?

No, they put a red light above the lane instead of cones and when driving you generally don’t pass red lights as it is an offence.

How do they manage on sections of motorway with no overhead gantries?
Edited to add, whats dpcdccd

bubsy06:

Actrosman:

Coffeeholic:

All the way up to j45 if lit up! Highway code say’s…

Red flashing lights. If red lights on the overhead signals flash above your lane and a red ‘X’ is showing, you MUST NOT go beyond the signal in that lane. If red lights flash on a signal in the central reservation or at the side of the road, you MUST NOT go beyond the signal in any lane.

[Laws RTA 1988 sect 36 & TSRGD regs 10 & 38]

or an example…
forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showtopic=46761

bubsy06:
How do they manage on sections of motorway with no overhead gantries?

They use cones. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

bubsy06:
Edited to add, whats dpcdccd

No idea.

I hope this helps.

Since when have the elf n safety allowed the wombles to do stuff on the motorway with no cones protecting them just a red cross on a sign up in the air?

bubsy06:
Since when have the elf n safety allowed the wombles to do stuff on the motorway with no cones protecting them just a red cross on a sign up in the air?

Happens all the time, often when they are in the process of putting the cones out or they have seen an accident or something lying on the carriageway on the cameras.

Last week on the M6 I mentioned three times over two nights to my co driver he was jumping red lights and he claimed he didn’t know so I gave up mentioning it on the third night and fourth nights. Never a cop car about when you want one. :wink:

Coffeeholic:

bubsy06:

Happens all the time, often when they are in the process of putting the cones out or they have seen an accident or something lying on the carriageway on the cameras.

Last week on the M6 I mentioned three times over two nights to my co driver he was jumping red lights and he claimed he didn’t know so I gave up mentioning it on the third night and fourth nights. Never a cop car about when you want one. :wink:

I have never witnesed these red x’s tbh, also I do ignore red lights if the sun is in hiding, no point in sitting at a red light at a set of roadworks which are only 30ft long on a straight road or sitting at a red light on a rounabout when you can clearly see if anything is coming from the next junction

bubsy06:
I have never witnesed these red x’s tbh,

They probably don’t have them in the woods. :wink:

bubsy06:
also I do ignore red lights if the sun is in hiding, no point in sitting at a red light at a set of roadworks which are only 30ft long on a straight road or sitting at a red light on a rounabout when you can clearly see if anything is coming from the next junction

There are up to 6 sets of lights, three on the same roundabout so it depends how many of those are showing red at the same time, that I routinely ignore on the way home from work in the early hours of the morning. The one set I wish I could ignore I can’t because the view is restricted too much and they stay red for ages. Can sit for 4 minutes without seeing another vehicle if I get there at the wrong time.

Coffeeholic:

bubsy06:
I have never witnesed these red x’s tbh,

They probably don’t have them in the woods. :wink:

bubsy06:
also I do ignore red lights if the sun is in hiding, no point in sitting at a red light at a set of roadworks which are only 30ft long on a straight road or sitting at a red light on a rounabout when you can clearly see if anything is coming from the next junction

There are up to 6 sets of lights, three on the same roundabout so it depends how many of those are showing red at the same time, that I routinely ignore on the way home from work in the early hours of the morning. The one set I wish I could ignore I can’t because the view is restricted too much and they stay red for ages. Can sit for 4 minutes without seeing another vehicle if I get there at the wrong time.

See what ya did there :wink:
There are some temp roadworks like that, they are on some nasty bends so ya cant see the other end so you have to wait.
The early hours are a free for all on the roads :laughing: I jump red lights, cut corners, cross solid white lines, go round roundabouts the wrong way, park in the most stupidest of places so I can get some grub, was pretty lucky the other morning, it was about 4-30am i was on the limiter on a A-road, lights come up behind me, I give a quick flash of the left indicator to let em know its ok to pass, I have a glance in the side window as they pass and it is a marked polie bmw x5 :open_mouth: he pulls in front sticks the hazards on and shoots off into the distance :laughing:

bubsy06:

None of that new fangled electrickery on my patch. Old fashioned central matrix and the occaisional overhead matrix. No red Xs, no CCTV, no traffic sensors to activate speed limits, basically, we’re the land that technology forgot!! :wink: