M42 matrix.

At 4am there’s been red x’s every day this week on the M6, one 40mph ! lane open from Hilton park to the M5 only to be greeted there by 3 lanes saying End (end of bloody what exactly?) :imp: :imp: . The cones or roadworkers etc. have long since vanished, does it really take that long to adjust the matrix signs or do they have to wait to get a decent size queue first.

Trev_H:
At 4am there’s been red x’s every day this week on the M6, one 40mph ! lane open from Hilton park to the M5 only to be greeted there by 3 lanes saying End (end of bloody what exactly?) :imp: :imp: . The cones or roadworkers etc. have long since vanished, does it really take that long to adjust the matrix signs or do they have to wait to get a decent size queue first.

This is all down to the roadworks, the crews will take up the cones, then driver round to the start again to lower/remove the advance warning signs (ie 1 mile, 800yds, 600yds etc) and then they’ll call us to clear down the overhead matrix, it is a problem! We are not allowed to clear the signals (we probably can’t even see if they’re cleared) until the Foreman of the roadworks crew calls up.
As in all walks of live, some crew foremen are good and will call up and ask us to clear the lane closures but leave speeds up until they’ve cleared the advance signage, some (most) don’t. I have had the odd one that’s gone home to bed and I’ve phoned up at the end of the booked time to see if the rwks are finished or note, only to find they’d been taken off 4 hours earlier. (Most overnight roadworks book the road-space until 5/6am)

With the overhead signals for roadworks, you shouldn’t get an “end” (unless it’s a very short roadworks that doesn’t stretch past the next gantry) as the hard signage should show an “end” sign.

If you find ANY matrix signals, or roadworks signage that is you believe is incorrect, call the HA information line 0300 123 5000, give them the location and details (marker-posts are good, as often roadworks can be only 1½ miles between sometimes) they will forward it to the respective area, who will investigate the complaint, if you’d like an answer, they normally will either e-mail you or send it by post.

:grimacing: :grimacing:

Coffeeholic:
Another good reason not to move over too early when the signs show lanes closing. When they don’t close you can crack on in a nice clear lane while everyone else is nose to tail in one lane. :wink:

I like to get over once there’s evidence of a lane closure.

Many’s the time you get the matrix signs flashing, and the bods with the cones have only just turned up to cone it all off. Where do you think you stand if you’re in lane 3 at this point?

Not hijacking the thread but I kid you not . . .

M6 southbound last Friday around the Lancaster/Heysham area and the matrix said . . .

M40 CLOSED J2

:confused: :laughing: :confused:

redbob:
Not hijacking the thread but I kid you not . . .

M6 southbound last Friday around the Lancaster/Heysham area and the matrix said . . .

M40 CLOSED J2

:? :laughing: :confused:

I agree with you there, but I can also give you the answer why it’s set so far away.

If a closure is expected to last for an hour say, then the NTIC (Nation Traffic Information Centre) will set strategic signage from around 70 miles away (70mph…) so something that will potentially last even longer, they set the signs even futher afield.
This then gives drivers more chance to drastically divert their route, rather than rely on local congested diversions at the location.

You can easily tell if the message sign has been set by the local RCC or the NTIC. If it’s the Area RCC who’s set them, the amber lights flash, If it’s the NTIC, they don’t.