M42/m54 speed limit

Just want a definitive answer to this… 2 lane motorways i.e M54/M42 whats the speed limit for hgvs ? is it 50 mph ?

as some other driver i recently spoke to insisted that because they have the letter M in them their motorways and i can do the legal speed for motorways on em >?
is he right or is he talkin a load of ■■■■■■■■. … ? :neutral_face:

As far as I am aware it is 60 mph

It’s a Motorway, so the motorway speed limit of 60mph applies. Likewise the A1(M), the number of lanes is irrelevant, the fact that it is a motorway is what matters.

blue signs = 60
green signs =50

unless road sign tell you otherwise

Send your licence to…DVLA SWANSEA, SA99…If you need an answer for THAT question. You shouldn’t be driving. :unamused:

bigvern1:
Send your licence to…DVLA SWANSEA, SA99…If you need an answer for THAT question. You shouldn’t be driving. :unamused:

I think this kind of thing is the reason we have a DCPC.

starfighter:

bigvern1:

I think this kind of thing is the reason we have a DCPC.

Also the reason we have a drivers forum.

Theres no such thing as a stupid question, only a stupid answer.

The number of lanes has nothing to do with it, as has been said on this forum, blue signs are only on a motorway therefore 60mph.

No probs with asking a question, its what separates you from those idiots who think they know it all.

But the clue was in the question…Motorway! I know Jack compared to most on here. But I know what road I’m on too.

bigvern1:
But the clue was in the question…Motorway! I know Jack compared to most on here. But I know what road I’m on too.

Hmm thats all well and good, but you don’t know what you know you don’t know and you also don’t know what you don’t know you don’t know. So all in all we can never be sure we know it all :wink:

As Manuel famously said…I know nothing! :wink:

ukthugz:
Just want a definitive answer to this… 2 lane motorways i.e M54/M42 whats the speed limit for hgvs ? is it 50 mph ?

as some other driver i recently spoke to insisted that because they have the letter M in them their motorways and i can do the legal speed for motorways on em >?

Jesus. Do you actually have a licence? Shocking. Truly shocking.

schrodingers cat:
Theres no such thing as a stupid question, only a stupid answer.

Except when that question is one you should know to pass even a driving test.

iDriver:

bigvern1:

Hmm thats all well and good, but you don’t know what you know you don’t know and you also don’t know what you don’t know you don’t know. So all in all we can never be sure we know it all :wink:

THIS IS [zb] DRIVING 1.01 FFS. You need to know it to pass the chuffing driving test. Its not the same as asking how to use suzies or a particular type of ratchet.

If you don’t even know what the speed limit is for the road you’re on when its a chuffing motorway, you should have your licence taken off you. I’m prepared to give the benefit of the doubt for double lane A roads which look like they should be a dual carriageway
but I’m not for a motorway.

And I bet you’re one of those who don’t see the need for the DCPC. Its dumb ■■■■ like this which is why competent drivers have to spend £100’s every 5 years.

On a similar theme, a dual carriageway can have more or less than 2 lanes :confused: It was on a speed awareness course I did. If it is 1 lane and has a central reservation then it is classed as a dual carriageway and as such the laws of which apply.

skids:
On a similar theme, a dual carriageway can have more or less than 2 lanes :confused: It was on a speed awareness course I did. If it is 1 lane and has a central reservation then it is classed as a dual carriageway and as such the laws of which apply.

also HGVs can use the right hand lane on dual carraigeways even if its 3 or more lanes

toowise:

skids:

also HGVs can use the right hand lane on dual carraigeways even if its 3 or more lanes

They can on the M621 as well, and they can’t do more than 50. :stuck_out_tongue:

Well funny!

Read this post and tell me we don’t need driver training…my seven year old knows the speed limits…

FFS get your incompetent ■■■ off the road before you hurt yourself or someone else…

PS…bet you’re glad your gaffer isn’t reading your post… :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

Conor:

ukthugz:

Jesus. Do you actually have a licence? Shocking. Truly shocking.

Not often I agree with Conor but I do this time. Presumably the OP had passed at least 2 driving tests. How can you do that and not know the motorway speed limit?

Once again the old no such thing as a stupid question thing is proved to be wrong. This must surely be a wind up.

Coffeeholic:
How can you do that and not know the motorway speed limit?

Whilst agency driving last year for a firm in Hull (that should be the clue :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: ) I gave one of the regular drivers a lift after he dropped his wagon off for service. Tootling along the A63 towards the town, he asks me why I’m going slow. I say that I’m doing 50 mph,the speed limit for a dual-carriageway. He looks amazed and tells me that he thought the limit was 56 :open_mouth:

Having said that, I’m possibly the only driver around here who sticks to the limit…