M11 Overtaking ban

HGV overtaking ban to be implemented on M11.

SMMT

I’m surprised it’s taken this long tbh. We only have ourselves to blame, I actually cringe with embarassment sometimes when I sit behind these elephant races between two trucks with a negligible speed differential. It reflects extremely badly on us and makes us ALL look like bloody amateurs!

Not surprised to be honest if everyone just dropped a couple of k’s when being overtaken and not keep them in the middle/outside lane there wouldn’t be a problem.

Also ■■■■ you Tesco.

Excellent, can’t wait for the 50 lorry convoys nose to tail following the mobile crane, and the inevitable concertina effect down to nigh on stationary near junctions, bring it on.

Hope the powers that be and other roads users are happy with the results, which won’t be quite what they expect.

Good luck to anyone Who gets stuck behind one of the many 50mph limited vehicles run by Sainsbury’s,gonna be frustrating if your own wagon can do 56mph :open_mouth:

They are not talking about the whole length of the M11 are they.

I’ve already formulated a cunning plan as to what I’ll do if I catch up someone with the temerity to be travelling slower than me on a restricted section; I’ll ease off, match his speed, maintain a safe gap and chill TF out. Ha, that’ll show them!

Yep we can only blame ourselves for this (well not me as i am mr perfect).

I can only do 52 so sit at 51 plodding along nicely then along comes mr 51.5 and we are in for an inching game unless I do the honourable thing of flicking the exhaust brake or knocking her off a couple of clicks, which I always do as its just embarrasing otherwise.

I do find it tempting though when catching up with mr 50.5 after 10 minutes of inching ever closer to put the pedal to the metal and gun past 1mph faster, I resist though and wait for a steep hill engage neutral and assume jockey position for imminent battle of the neutrals.

the maoster:
I’ve already formulated a cunning plan as to what I’ll do if I catch up someone with the temerity to be travelling slower than me on a restricted section; I’ll ease off, match his speed, maintain a safe gap and chill TF out. Ha, that’ll show them!

+1
I will also do this in the hope any hero behind gives into temptation and tries to overtake.

the maoster:

Don’t talk so daft. Sit two inches off his back door with your offside wheels on the white line, like the heroes no doubt will… :smiley:

jobseeker:
Not surprised to be honest if everyone just dropped a couple of k’s when being overtaken and not keep them in the middle/outside lane there wouldn’t be a problem.

Also [zb] you Tesco.

Yeh, it’s a pain in the arse when someone insists on overtaking you at 1kmh more than you’re doing - so you either slow down to unclog the road, or drive oblivious like a helmet letting them take 6 miles to get past you… Two lanes, no junction for miles, rolling countryside…

Perhaps a better rule would be to put a 50mph speed limit on all HGV traffic?

You won’t be driving up tesco’s arse that way will you? :smiling_imp:

Shame they can’t make the 2 lane section into 3 lanes and the problem would be fixed. Same with the A14…

Martin:
Shame they can’t make the 2 lane section into 3 lanes and the problem would be fixed. Same with the A14…

2+ years to turn it into 3 lane managed motorway with dangerous as hell hard shoulder running?
Be one hell of a job too cos the hard shoulder is narrow as anyone who’s broke down on it will testify.

Might start using the A10 again via real A14 to Godmanchester, or nip across to St Neots via The Gibbet and up the A1, by-pass the Godawful Stansted to Bar Hill to Huntindon sections altogether.

Nimby’s take note, we’ll be using all sorts of diversions as these things spread… :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: …get writing, any politician will do, there’s an election soon… :laughing:

the maoster:
I’m surprised it’s taken this long tbh. We only have ourselves to blame, I actually cringe with embarassment sometimes when I sit behind these elephant races between two trucks with a negligible speed differential. It reflects extremely badly on us and makes us ALL look like bloody amateurs!

+1

jobseeker:

:unamused:

How about if people didn’t run on their limiters all the time?

Set your cruise a few clicks below your limited speed and when you come up against someone going a bit slower, crank it up to full power and blast past without any drama.

If all the Hgvs are in lane one doing 50ish mph,and all the cars in lane 2 doing 70mph they could put snack vans ect in lane 3 like a big long layby for us truckers :smiley:

Didn’t they do this on the m11 hills a few years back

wouldn’t this debate be obsolete if they just did away with limiters?.possibly an futuristic idea to dissipate any elephant racers as Tosco plobbers would all still be at 52,and the rest of us could be taking their elbows off… :slight_smile:

Wildy:
HGV overtaking ban to be implemented on M11.

SMMT

You’ll probably get stuck behind the odd Culina wagon out of Haverhill I’m afraid as we can only go 85 kph sorry in advance. :blush: :angry:

dieseldog999:
wouldn’t this debate be obsolete if they just did away with limiters?.possibly an futuristic idea to dissipate any elephant racers as Tosco plobbers would all still be at 52,and the rest of us could be taking their elbows off… :slight_smile:

Difficult one to argue with current public opinion.

When people start to understand that it’s not truck drivers vs everyone else then there may be a chance.

Whilst there are instances of trucks wandering onto the hard shoulder and taking out vehicles on it and running into the back of stationary traffic queues there’s no chance any politician trying to argue for a lift on limiters.

And the haulage companies won’t want it because it will hit their fuel bill